Question Cannot boot from SSD, and no signal to monitor ?

armor555

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2014
Hello. My hardware is:

Mobo: Asrock Fatality H170
RAM: 4x4 DDR4 Kingston 2133mhz
CPU: Intel i5-6600
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 530w.

Motherboard, CPU and RAM were bought secondhand, the rest is from my own working configuration.
I connected my old ssd drive with already installed Windows 10 pro. Seems it's not recognized as bootable anymore. When trying boot from it, I'm seeing: reboot and select proper boot device message. Tried hirens boot and windows 10 usb drives and the system is able to boot from them. I want to use the windows version on my ssd, so tried system restore, using the command prompt and type the commands from the picture below.

I don't know if I fix it or not because of the second problem - my monitor shows no signal message most of the time. Usually, i turn the pc on, seeing bios logo and navigation keys, then they disappear and the monitor shows no signal message. Unplug and plug hdmi cable doesn't help. Replaced the cable, still nothing. The issues is reproducible with both integrated and external gpu. I'm able to enter the bios, change something but when exit, no signal message is displayed. Any ideas how to solve this? The pc may boot correctly after startup repair but cannot see with this no signal problem. The monitor is working fine when enter in hirens boot live os or in windows installation drive

Hello. My hardware is asrock fatality h170, 4x4 ddr4 ram Kingston 2133mhz, intel i56600, Thermaltake smart 530w. Motherboard, cpu, memory are bought second hand, the rest is from my own working configuration. I connected my old ssd drive with already installed Windows 10 pro. Seems it's not recognized as bootable anymore. When trying boot from it, I'm seeing: reboot and select proper boot device message. Tried hirens boot and windows 10 usb drives and the system is able to boot from them. I want to use the windows version on my ssd, so tried system restore, using the command prompt and type the commands from the picture below.

I don't know if I fix it or not because of the second problem - my monitor shows no signal message most of the time. Usually, i turn the pc on, seeing bios logo and navigation keys, then they disappear and the monitor shows no signal message. Unplug and plug hdmi cable doesn't help. Replaced the cable, still nothing. The issues is reproducible with both integrated and external gpu. I'm able to enter the bios, change something but when exit, no signal message is displayed. Any ideas how to solve this? The pc may boot correctly after startup repair but cannot see with this no signal problem. The monitor is working fine when enter in hirens boot live os or in windows installation drive
That's what usually happens when you try to use Windows that was installed on another system as there are no drivers for new one.
at least check if BIOS is in CSM/Legacy mode or UEFI and change whatever it's set too.

armor555

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2014
yea, I don't have installed drivers. Will see what's set in the bios. But what next - usb with mbr restore, usb with hirens boot and attempt to install drivers, or completely new windows install? And do you think that the motherboard is working, based on the info I shared?

yea, I don't have installed drivers. Will see what's set in the bios. But what next - usb with mbr restore, usb with hirens boot and attempt to install drivers, or completely new windows install? And do you think that the motherboard is working, based on the info I shared?
Restoring just the BOOT function doesn't mean it will run or even start Windows long enough to change drivers. You can't install drivers unless Windows is running. Most probably will have to reinstall Windows.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

armor555

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2014
I cannot see an option to change bios setting from cms/legacy.
Tried completely new windows installation and seems that fixed the issue. Still didn't connected all my hdd's and case connectors.
Maybe you can't just swap hdd with os from one system to another. Or maybe because one of the partitions was locked with bitlocker. Who knows :rolleyes:

armor555

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2014
One update after few days of using - sometimes after boot, I'm still seeing a no signal message on the screeen. Needs to restart a couple of times or unplug hdmi cable a couple of time to see the picture. The red bios light on the motherboard, which indicates something wrong doesn't stay on all the time anymore. Next week will buy new hdmi cable. Does it sounds like a cable problem?