Question 14700kf temps

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Hello all

So posted a few days ago about upgrading to an i7 14700k and wasn't going to until I got a great deal on a 14700kf and new ram so I said why not
The issue I have now is with temps though. So I was coming from a i5 12600k and that cpu ran at temps high 60s to 70s while gaming.
setup back then was
i5 12600k
h100i pro cooler 240mm
Corsair 32gb(4x8GB) 3000mhz ddr4
msi z690 a pro ddr4 mobo
RTX 4070 TI Super

set up now is:
i7 14700kf
same h100i pro cooler 240mm (this thing is probably 5 years old btw)
32GB(2x16GB) 4000MHz DDR4
same msi z690 a pro ddr4 mobo
RTX 4070 TI Super

Case is this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MDS8L83/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

both large fans are the intake in the front, rear 120mm fan exhaust, and 240mm aio on top set up as exhaust through radiator.

now my idle temps are 29-35 and good but when I game I go into the 90s-100C with this 14700k

I have bought new thermal paste as mine was about 2-3 years old and redone it a few times. Different designs (pea dot, X, even spread with spatula) and no changes
Turned off XMP on ram since its 4000mhz and no real improvement.
I did some research and I saw this 14700k runs hot and a 280mm aio is okay but its really recommended to be paired with a 360mm aio

Do you think that a 360mm aio will make that much of a difference?

I have attached a picture of my cpu temps on HW monitor with this 14700kf. The "Max" column is the max temps I was getting on mw3 when I was playing. These are consistently the temps I was getting for the hour I played. some ecores in the 70s but 80-90s with jumps to that 100C.

https://ibb.co/9r8rH4V

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Package is the highest reading, and may include spikes(if caught). An active reading would be a bit more accurate.
I dont have the active numbers but the Max column says Package power- 266.28W and IA cores-264.94W
That's much higher than what was in your screenshot. Something else - besides a browser or discord is running alongside the game? 'Cause it sounds like it; 260ish watts is a lot from just a game, or a game+browser.

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Package is the highest reading, and may include spikes(if caught). An active reading would be a bit more accurate.

That's much higher than what was in your screenshot. Something else - besides a browser or discord is running alongside the game? 'Cause it sounds like it; 260ish watts is a lot from just a game, or a game+browser.
Shoot you are correct. Something else must have spiked it that high because those numbers I just replied with were hours after the game.

The screen shot was right after my game. So those numbers must be while gaming.
I can try tomorrow to write down some active power numbers during gameplay.
But I do have a lot of programs up 24/7.
Steam, epic, battlener, teamspeak, hwmonitor, and afterburner all run 24/7 and open on my desktop, but have been that way for years and even with my 12600k
Most of them sit on my second monitor, a 27 inch 1080p monitor for programs in the background, something again I have had for years and running with my 12600k as well.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Shoot you are correct. Something else must have spiked it that high because those numbers I just replied with were hours after the game.
That's good. I couldn't think of a game that'd make a cpu pull 260w...

The screen shot was right after my game. So those numbers must be while gaming.
Yes, but 183w was a peak. We can expect the chip to not be hanging around that normally.
Power use also varies between titles.

Steam, epic, battlener, teamspeak, hwmonitor, and afterburner
That's a lot, but shouldn't add much more to the power being used, 'cause they shouldn't be using many resources... then again, I've yet to use Epic or Teamspeak. I know the other 4 don't do that much.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i7-14700k/22.html
power-per-game.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-13600k/22.html
power-per-game.png

[They didn't have a similar chart for the 12600K, so I posted the little-bit hungrier Raptor version.

The power use shot way the heck up on some titles...

Reactions: Tiebar90
Your temperatures are normal.
Default action is for the motherboard to push up the performance until the cpu temperature touches 100c. then back off a bit .
Expect to see some cores show max 100c. in red. That indicates throttling for a moment.
There is much fear mongering about heat from 14th gen.
Here is a study:
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-core-13900k-cooling-tested
Or, in video form:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFgswzTvyc

Your 5 year old cooler is nearing it's lifespan.
The mechanical pump will fail, or get clogged. Air will intrude through the tubes.
When it does, a good air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15s will cool just as well .
Your case is outstanding for air cooling.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I would check the cooler fan \ pump profiles first.

A 'spike' of 180W with maybe 140W avg shouldn't be beyond a 240mm AIO (I have a 12700K with an Arctic Freezer 240mm). I did a lot of OC testing with mine to find the heat dissipation limits, and it's around 200W.

I would suggest starting out by setting the AIO/Fans to max, trying the same gaming session for maybe 15 mins, then check temps and peak power. No you don't want to stay running like that 100% of the time,it's to check and see if your AIO *can* keep it cool. It should be able to keep you below 90C at 180W sustained (at least, mine can - and your AIO should be just as good if not better).

If they are too high, you might need to re-paste the AIO with a good high conductivity paste, clean out the AIO fins and fan blades, check water level. Over a long period of time, the AIO will lose some water, which will cause the pump to cavitate and essentially you get no water flow. Position of the radiator is key here, the pump intake should be coming from the lowest part of the radiator. If it's trying to pull from the high point of the radiator, it might be trying to pump air.

You might not notice any of this with an 12600K.

I typically have my AIO curves set to go full tilt fans/pump around 85C.

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
thank you everyone for the replies.
So I did the power testing while playing mw3 and my power on my cpu was anywhere from 120-140W. That was during gameplay. Menus and such was 60-90W.
I also ended up getting a 360mm aio just to see how it made a difference.
I ended up buying a MSI MAG CoreLiquid 360R V2 - AIO ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler

now with this new 360mm cooler I am idling at 23-30C and in game temps are 60s-70s with highest spike being 85C. much better than 30-35C idle and 90-100C gaming.

To answer a few other questions, I did repaste many of times. even to the point i was pasting techniques and lifting to see how each different style spread. I also did clean all the fans and fins out automatically since I already inside the pc when I first installed the 14700kf.
my fans and pump were at 100% when I was getting the 90-100C

i do think my 240mm was just near its end since its 5-6 years old and may not have noticed a difference since the 12600k isnt as hot?

Reactions: shady28

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I ended up buying a MSI MAG CoreLiquid 360R V2
Heads up - there are 3 pump locations among AIOs, and they affect viable mounting options(at least, if you want it to last):
1)Cpu block. The one most are used to seeing/working with.
The most flexible along with one other. Avoid having the cpu block be the highest point of the loop and all is good.

2)Pump in the radiator(small cube embedded in it).
The rad should only be installed vertically. That cube(pump) will inevitably be run dry if it's the highest point of the loop.

3)In line(around the hoses)pump.
Pretty much the same options as cpu block.

Mag Coreliquid is #2.

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Heads up - there are 3 pump locations among AIOs, and they affect viable mounting options(at least, if you want it to last):
1)Cpu block. The one most are used to seeing/working with.
The most flexible along with one other. Avoid having the cpu block be the highest point of the loop and all is good.

2)Pump in the radiator(small cube embedded in it).
The rad should only be installed vertically. That cube(pump) will inevitably be run dry if it's the highest point of the loop.

3)In line(around the hoses)pump.
Pretty much the same options as cpu block.

Mag Coreliquid is #2.
I did see that after I had installed it. I will probably replace it as I do not want to front mount with my case with the larger front intake fans. I saw some conversation on Reddit someone had with MSI and they claimed it was fine on top, and the instructions listed it as top install, but I’d rather not risk dealing with a dead unit in a year.

My buddy told me to use this thermalright brand. I see it listed as $64….there’s no way this thing is good right? I mean it’s got good reviews and things I can find online about the thermalright brand is positive but…$64?!
Here is the link:

https://a.co/d/9DwtLZ3

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
thank you everyone for the replies.
So I did the power testing while playing mw3 and my power on my cpu was anywhere from 120-140W. That was during gameplay. Menus and such was 60-90W.
I also ended up getting a 360mm aio just to see how it made a difference.
I ended up buying a MSI MAG CoreLiquid 360R V2 - AIO ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler

now with this new 360mm cooler I am idling at 23-30C and in game temps are 60s-70s with highest spike being 85C. much better than 30-35C idle and 90-100C gaming.

To answer a few other questions, I did repaste many of times. even to the point i was pasting techniques and lifting to see how each different style spread. I also did clean all the fans and fins out automatically since I already inside the pc when I first installed the 14700kf.
my fans and pump were at 100% when I was getting the 90-100C

i do think my 240mm was just near its end since its 5-6 years old and may not have noticed a difference since the 12600k isnt as hot?
My 2 cents is the 240mm is just not good enough for the 14700kf..

Same can be said for my Noctua NH-U12A on my 14600kf idle its cooler than the same cooler on my 7800x3d but under R23 allcore the 14600kf is running near on 88 c to 90 c where as the 7800x3d wouldnt go past 80c R23 allcore ..

I recommend a 360mm as min on the 14700k i would even go so far as to say in hotter climates ( like mine can be ) i wouldnt even entertain the big daddy of dual tower air coolers .. 360mm 420mm or custom loop !!

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
My 2 cents is the 240mm is just not good enough for the 14700kf..

Same can be said for my Noctua NH-U12A on my 14600kf idle its cooler than the same cooler on my 7800x3d but under R23 allcore the 14600kf is running near on 88 c to 90 c where as the 7800x3d wouldnt go past 80c R23 allcore ..

I recommend a 360mm as min on the 14700k i would even go so far as to say in hotter climates ( like mine can be ) i wouldnt even entertain the big daddy of dual tower air coolers .. 360mm 420mm or custom loop !!
Oh yeah there’s no doubt the 360mm was the way to go after installing one and seeing the temp differences.
Now it’s just about which brand since phaze mentioned my pump radiation issue

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Oh yeah there’s no doubt the 360mm was the way to go after installing one and seeing the temp differences.
Now it’s just about which brand since phaze mentioned my pump radiation issue
arctic freezer 3 is now the best of the best price to performance and actually the latest 3 version looks much better than 2 ,,
And also is topping the charts ..
GN did a video on it well worth the watch
unless you want something fancy then Lain Li's latest galahad infinity 2 or what ever ive heard good things about them ..
Ive just used arctic freezer ii on most of my builds at some point and i swear by them !!

When i change my case AGAIN im thinking of going the arctic freezer 3 ARGB 420mm in a termaltake tower 300 with the added bracket so you can lay the case on its side !!

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
arctic freezer 3 is now the best of the best price to performance and actually the latest 3 version looks much better than 2 ,,
And also is topping the charts ..
GN did a video on it well worth the watch
unless you want something fancy then Lain Li's latest galahad infinity 2 or what ever ive heard good things about them ..
Ive just used arctic freezer ii on most of my builds at some point and i swear by them !!

When i change my case AGAIN im thinking of going the arctic freezer 3 ARGB 420mm in a termaltake tower 300 with the added bracket so you can lay the case on its side !!
Attic freezer 3 is def something I’m considering I just saw that on Amazon.
A buddy of mine told me about this thermalright brand he’s used, said it’s great and super cheap.
Shows me a 360mm aio from them online and it’s $64. Anything I can find online about them is positive but that price seems crazy

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My buddy told me to use this thermalright brand. I see it listed as $64….there’s no way this thing is good right? I mean it’s got good reviews and things I can find online about the thermalright brand is positive but…$64?!
Here is the link:

They're really too new to say. I believe day 1 reviews aren't enough for AIOs; one of their points of failure is finite, as well as rendering them useless when it happens.
We need to see some ownership reviews of Thermalright AIOs at least a few years later.

Then again, some aren't going to care if they're that cheap.

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
They're really too new to say. I believe day 1 reviews aren't enough for AIOs; one of their points of failure is finite, as well as rendering them useless when it happens.
We need to see some ownership reviews of Thermalright AIOs at least a few years later.

Then again, some aren't going to care if they're that cheap.
Hmm soo do I join the Guinea pigs of testing it out or just go with something like a cooler master or artic freeze 3 lol

That $65 white thermalright is tempting to match my white case though

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm soo do I join the Guinea pigs of testing it out or just go with something like a cooler master or artic freeze 3 lol

That $65 white thermalright is tempting to match my white case though
If you're ok with that, then yeah.

I'm going back to cpu air cooling whenever my current Eisbaer dies, but intend to stay with liquid for the gpu. My curiosity was sated, but not fulfilling. Cpu AIOs are kinda potato-potahto to me now, so I'm not really the guy for suggestions, beyond the price to performance hits.

I still think I'd have to suggest Arctic, between them and Cooler Master and Thermalright.
Arctic was already well priced... then Thermalright comes along, and... I can't help but be a little skeptical when I see how low the pricing is. Maybe they don't go through as many middlemen as the others? IDK.
Then they have so many different versions/revisions... the heck's that all about? Ugh, my head...

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
If you're ok with that, then yeah.

I'm going back to cpu air cooling whenever my current Eisbaer dies, but intend to stay with liquid for the gpu. My curiosity was sated, but not fulfilling. Cpu AIOs are kinda potato-potahto to me now, so I'm not really the guy for suggestions, beyond the price to performance hits.

I still think I'd have to suggest Arctic, between them and Cooler Master and Thermalright.
Arctic was already well priced... then Thermalright comes along, and... I can't help but be a little skeptical when I see how low the pricing is. Maybe they don't go through as many middlemen as the others? IDK.
Then they have so many different versions/revisions... the heck's that all about? Ugh, my head...
I’ve wanted to get into gpu liquid cooling so bad but not comfortable about to attempt it myself.

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Understandable. It's not as convenient compared to the options available for cpus. Plus, pre-assembled gpu AIOs are more expensive in comparison.
Yeah they can be expensive. If i did it i would probably do it to an old card for testing myself. But I did see this rtx 4090 on best buy for $1750 with liquid cooling, which is pretty wild for that price too.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-nv...-graphics-card-silver/6522334.p?skuId=6522334

not gonna lie I would consider getting that even at that price because of the liquid cooling, i see 4090s with 3 fans at $2000-2200.

Also on another note,
I installed the thermalright frozen notte 360mm aio. For $70 I said why the hell not.
The temps are even cooler than the msi 360r. I was getting 60-70 with the msi in call of duty and cinebench in the 90s.
With this thermalright my temps were 50-60s in call of duty and cinebench temp 60-80s. I took this screen shot of HWMonitor mid cinebench score.

Now I am not familiar with cinebench as I usually used cpuz for benching but i ran a full multicore bench and single core bench on cinebench and it gave me a score of
Multicore- #4 on the list @ 1466
Singlecore- #1 on this list @ 123

here is a picture of my temps during benching on multi core
https://ibb.co/xLwK0SG

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah they can be expensive. If i did it i would probably do it to an old card for testing myself. But I did see this rtx 4090 on best buy for $1750 with liquid cooling, which is pretty wild for that price too.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-nv...-graphics-card-silver/6522334.p?skuId=6522334

not gonna lie I would consider getting that even at that price because of the liquid cooling, i see 4090s with 3 fans at $2000-2200.
These models get you when you're past their warranty. They're designed in a way that you can't just go and put any other AIO on them when the pump dies. It may be possible to put the air cooled variant's cooler on it - you'd have to check ebay or other for cards sold 'for parts' - but that's not always a guarantee fit.
If going the pre-assembled gpu AIO route, expect to move on to a new card once the cooler fails past the warranty, instead of fixing it and trying to get a little more life out of it.

Also on another note,
I installed the thermalright frozen notte 360mm aio. For $70 I said why the hell not.
The temps are even cooler than the msi 360r. I was getting 60-70 with the msi in call of duty and cinebench in the 90s.
With this thermalright my temps were 50-60s in call of duty and cinebench temp 60-80s. I took this screen shot of HWMonitor mid cinebench score.

Now I am not familiar with cinebench as I usually used cpuz for benching but i ran a full multicore bench and single core bench on cinebench and it gave me a score of
Multicore- #4 on the list @ 1466
Singlecore- #1 on this list @ 123

here is a picture of my temps during benching on multi core
https://ibb.co/xLwK0SG
Mmm, that's good. (y)

I've got no other input on that.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
thermal right is crushing Air cooling at the moment in performance and price .
That said im not sold on their AIO's against the likes of arctic ( not saying there bad because i just dont know ) but when you have the likes of arctic beating most of the competition its hard to go else where !!

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
thermal right is crushing Air cooling at the moment in performance and price .
That said im not sold on their AIO's against the likes of arctic ( not saying there bad because i just dont know ) but when you have the likes of arctic beating most of the competition its hard to go else where !!
yeah we will see how the longevity is with this cooler. for $70 total I dont mind seeing how it goes. If it doesnt work out, from what I have researched, artic will 100% be my next buy

Reactions: ilukey77