Question GPU stopping my PC from booting up

Mar 11, 2024
So my pc doesn't get past the motherboard boot screen when my GPU is plugged in, i can't even enter the bios. The only way i have found to get into my pc is to unplug the GPU and boot up my pc with the internal graphics. Doing this i got into the bios to select the internal graphics as the main boot option so that i can plug the gpu back into my pc and actually use my pc. Ofcourse that just makes me use the internal graphics and not my GPU. But with it plugged in and me having access to my pc i was able to uninstall my GPU drivers and reinstall the latest drivers. But this didn't change anything, if i let my pc boot with the GPU as main boot option i'm still stuck on the boot screen without the option to go into the bios. I also tried resetting the CMOS by replacing the battery on my MB, but this didn't change anything either.

Specs: GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte H77-D3H
CPU: intel i7-2600
SSD:Samsung 840EVO

Fortron/FSP has great PSUs and not-so-great PSUs. I think that one is ok. Even if it was a poor PSU, I doubt it would stop the system from POSTing due to insufficient power to the GPU. GPUs don't draw a lot when booting to Windows.

To be specific, is it POSTing and failing on the OS load, or not even POSTing?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I would test/check check PC with another known working PSU.

That PSU (if it is as old as the rest of the components) was not very good when it was new. Now it's even more 'not very good'.

Did anything change recently? You changed/added this graphics card to the PC recently? Recently updated BIOS?

Mar 11, 2024
Fortron/FSP has great PSUs and not-so-great PSUs. I think that one is ok. Even if it was a poor PSU, I doubt it would stop the system from POSTing due to insufficient power to the GPU. GPUs don't draw a lot when booting to Windows.

To be specific, is it POSTing and failing on the OS load, or not even POSTing?
I have no indication of a POST failing or succeeding. I hear no beeping or have LED's to show me a failed POST. And my screen is frozen on the gigabyte motherboard boot screen where i see the keybinds for entering the BIOS. So no visual indication of a POST failing either. I assume its stuck before performing a POST.

I have no indication of a POST failing or succeeding. I hear no beeping or have LED's to show me a failed POST. And my screen is frozen on the gigabyte motherboard boot screen where i see the keybinds for entering the BIOS. So no visual indication of a POST failing either. I assume its stuck before performing a POST.
Do you ever see the spinning dots on the Gigabyte screen? If yes, the system has POSTed and started loading the OS.

Mar 11, 2024
Do you ever see the spinning dots on the Gigabyte screen? If yes, the system has POSTed and started loading the OS.
No, not since the gpu is not working properly. Also, i was able to borrow a friends GPU (GeForce GTX 1060 3gb, doesnt say manufacturer). After plugging that one in and setting my gpu boot options back to normal it still has the same issue where it freezes on the BIOS boot screen. I guess maybe there is something wrong with the PCI ports. I also plugged it into both ports but that doesn't make a difference.

No, not since the gpu is not working properly. Also, i was able to borrow a friends GPU (GeForce GTX 1060 3gb, doesnt say manufacturer). After plugging that one in and setting my gpu boot options back to normal it still has the same issue where it freezes on the BIOS boot screen. I guess maybe there is something wrong with the PCI ports. I also plugged it into both ports but that doesn't make a difference.
Hmmm, so far it does look that way.
Have you made any hardware changes recently? Is your friend willing to test out your GPU in his system?

Mar 11, 2024
Hmmm, so far it does look that way.
Have you made any hardware changes recently? Is your friend willing to test out your GPU in his system?
No recent hardware changes. I tested my GPU in my friends PC and it works just fine. It has to be something else in my pc that stops the booting when it is asked to boot with the GPU.

No recent hardware changes. I tested my GPU in my friends PC and it works just fine. It has to be something else in my pc that stops the booting when it is asked to boot with the GPU.
Is the motherboard BIOS on the latest version? Does the slot look damaged? Upload a closeup pic to Imgur and post the link for people to have a look.
Check the slot with a high powered flashlight to make sure there isn't any debris stuck in there. Also, note that it sometimes takes a good amount of pressure to fully seat a GPU. It would be weird if this was the case, as you are at least getting the Gigabyte screen before freezing, but it's worth checking out.

Mar 11, 2024
Is the motherboard BIOS on the latest version? Does the slot look damaged? Upload a closeup pic to Imgur and post the link for people to have a look.
Check the slot with a high powered flashlight to make sure there isn't any debris stuck in there. Also, note that it sometimes takes a good amount of pressure to fully seat a GPU. It would be weird if this was the case, as you are at least getting the Gigabyte screen before freezing, but it's worth checking out.
Ok, i got it fixed. Updating the BIOS was one of the first things i did and it didn't help. But because i kinda felt out of ideas i downgraded my BIOS to an older version to see if that would work. It didn't but after updating it back to the latest version it did. I dont know why it works now and not after the first time, i must have done something wrong i guess. But at least its working now so i'm happy. Thank you so much for al the info and helping me out.

Reactions: El_Caminero
Ok, i got it fixed. Updating the BIOS was one of the first things i did and it didn't help. But because i kinda felt out of ideas i downgraded my BIOS to an older version to see if that would work. It didn't but after updating it back to the latest version it did. I dont know why it works now and not after the first time, i must have done something wrong i guess. But at least its working now so i'm happy. Thank you so much for al the info and helping me out.
Awesome! Glad you got it going.

Reactions: El_Caminero