Question Port 1 on router not working with desktop

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Hopefully I can explain this clear enough. Have a 2nd building that has internet coming from a router that is hardwired to the house. The router in the 2nd building is a Linksys WRT3200ACM. It has 4 ethernet ports. Parts of the year, all of them are used. I just put a desktop in there and hook it up hardwired to the router. At first, I was getting internet but was not getting the speeds it should be. So I started trying different ports. I am getting speeds I should be now. But for some reason, internet will not work at all when I hook it up to port 1 on the router. It works fine on any other port. The odd part about this is there is a camera system connected via ethernet to the same router. If I plug that camera system into port 1, it works fine. Why would the camera system work on port 1 but not the desktop? Tried a different etherent cable for the desktop with no difference. Haven't tried a different computer but will.

Although the port might be damaged or maybe dirty it is most likely it the ethernet cable. Some defective ethernet cables will work with some devices and not others. No way for a home user to test to see what might be wrong it is cheaper to just buy another cable than a $1000 test meter.

Although any ethernet cable can go bad this issue is much worse now days with so much fake ethernet cable being sold. That flat cable is the biggest one, it has wires much too small to meet the official standards. You want pure copper cable with wire size 22-24 awg. If you can't find that information in the sellers ad pick a different vendor.

Note if it is a bad port in the router the cheapest fix is likely a small gigabit switch. You actually could replace the router completely with a switch if you do not need wifi.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Although the port might be damaged or maybe dirty it is most likely it the ethernet cable. Some defective ethernet cables will work with some devices and not others. No way for a home user to test to see what might be wrong it is cheaper to just buy another cable than a $1000 test meter.

Although any ethernet cable can go bad this issue is much worse now days with so much fake ethernet cable being sold. That flat cable is the biggest one, it has wires much too small to meet the official standards. You want pure copper cable with wire size 22-24 awg. If you can't find that information in the sellers ad pick a different vendor.

Note if it is a bad port in the router the cheapest fix is likely a small gigabit switch. You actually could replace the router completely with a switch if you do not need wifi.
Not sure if it is a defective cable although not sure what is happening. If it was a defective cable, why would it work on the other 3 ports? Tried a brand new cable with desktop and still doesn't work in port 1. Hooked a cable up to a laptop and it works just fine. Did try turning the router off and on with no change. Also tried wiggling the cable in both desktop and router port. Maybe for some reason, the desktop is real picky on what cable it will work with.

Do need to have wifi. As long as port 1 works with other devices, don't think I need to replace anything or add a switch. Just more curious than anything why it is doing this.

Last edited:

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Show desktop PC IP info

run "ipconfig /all" in command prompt when it's plugged in port 1

And when you said camera works. do you mean you can access the camera from internet?

Last edited:

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Figured out what the issue is. On the cable that feeds internet to the router that comes from the house, must be a bad connection on the connector. The reason I think that is I went to try some different cables, had to move the router closer since the cable was shorter and once I moved it, port 1 did work on desktop but was slower speeds than it should have been. Put router back where it was and port 1 stopped working again. That is when I started playing with the cable that feeds the router. Looking at the connector up close, everything looks fine but this is an area I am not too good with. This is not a premade cable, had a local computer shop put the connectors on.

Although that still doesn't explain why it worked on a laptop just fine when it didn't work on desktop.

Last edited:
It is extremely easy to mess when you put the end on a cable. Only takes 1 wire to not be fully inserted and it is almost impossible to see that it is not. The pin makes poor contact with the wire and you have strange issues.
For us home users you blindly cut off one end and reterminate it and hope you guess correctly. Some small computer shops are no better than home users, they do not install cables for a living. They can not justify the testing meters, they use the same $20 ones home users do that make sure the pins are in the correct order. These meters can not tell you if it can really pass data just if a battery can light ip a led.

Although you can have a bad port it is very very rare which is why you always blame the cable. There are some stupid "green" setting on some devices that can cause issues but mostly at very long cable lengths.

To fix the long cable going to the house I would use what is called a keystone. These are what is used in wall jacks. They are much easier for a diy install. You match the wires colors on the side and many now are tool less. If you mess up you can a single wire and fix it. Rj45 crimp on ends you have to get all 8 correct and not have it slip and if it does you cut it off and start over.

Since your application is mostly a permanent one keystones tend to be better. If you were to put them in a wall box or even just the face plate it will greatly reduce the chance of damage in the future. You would then use short commercial cables to the wall plate.