News Seven-year-old AMD gaming GPU continues to stick around — low-profile RX 550 arrives for SFF PCs

Mar 30, 2024
There's already a slew of low-profile single-slot RX 550 cards available on eBay, so there likely won't be much of a demand for this one. The double-slot cooler design on the AsRock cards will further hinder sales since they won't fit into most Dell SFF computers. I bought two RX 640 4GB cards a while back that are also low-profile, single-slot which are faster than the RX 550 for around the same price.

dmitche31958

Reputable
Aug 13, 2019
"end of life cycle". Well, that's a first for a GPU. Yes, they may not be made any longer but I would never view ANY GPU as having an "end of life" other than dying on me.
The reason I would buy one of these puppies is that price and power consumption. While I have a RTX4060 in my machine today, after dealing with Blizzard's Diablo IV disaster I've been turned off to gaming. I haven't played any games for six months and if I ever do wish to start again and I need an upgrade it won't be an expensive GPU but a stand-alone game box.
The lower wattage needs lower heat. And for those from California, lower prices mean I can afford other things and not ask for the Government for a handout. :)

scottscholzpdx

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017
GCN GPUs still do impress in modern games. Before a DEEPCOOL AIO killed my RX 590 about a year ago by leaking on it I was gaming at 1440p/165hz without any issues paired with a Ryzen 2700. Just a few quick tweaks here and there an everything ran well.

Today it feels overkill to have a 6800XT and 5900x.

Mar 30, 2024
Why not get an Arc A310 LP?
If you are going to buy dump stock, you might as well get one that supports AV1 and is just... better.
My point is, why buy a new RX550 when there are plenty of used RX550 cards everywhere? Purchase a faster RX640 for about the same price as the RX550 and get faster performance. Yes, there are faster, better cards out there that will fit in a low-profile environment, but very few are single-slot that will actually fit most of the Dell SFF PCs out there.
I have an AsRock A380 card in my Lenovo ThinkCentre E32 SFF PC and it's a great card for the price. But that PC has plenty of room for a double-slot card, which many do not.

Last edited: