Question After cutting a hole in my case, do I need to use any sort of liquid sealants on the edges of the hole?

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I needed to make modifications to a metal computer case and have cut holes in it, but now that I think about it I don't like how the bare metal is just exposed now in the holes I cut. Both from worry of rust now that it has been cut through, and of there being any metal filings left that can get blown into the electronics (even though I did sand it down a lot). Is there any sort of spray or other liquid I can brush onto the holes to act as a sealant for the sides of the metal holes I cut?

The holes are too close to each other to use one of those rubber strips over it, plus then the fans would not fit flat against it if I used that.

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Make and model case?

I suggest taking a couple of photographs and then posting the photographs here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Include a ruler in the photographs for scale and reference.

No idea if the case has a model name, it's from a prebuilt Dell Workstation. A Dell Precision T5810.

Here are photos of the side door, the measurements, I took, and then the holes I cut out of it:

View: https://imgur.com/a/DM5xpv3

Did you remove all components from the case before cutting the holes?

No, but I was only cutting them into the side door, which I had removed and was working on in the garage.

How were the holes cut?

Using a Hole Saw, these two specifically:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PDVT355

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZGJXT4

I realized though after cutting the holes that I screwed up a little, since the fans's size includes it's casing, I thought it was the size of the fan itself, so the holes are slightly too big. Should have gotten the 115mm and 57mm or 55mm bits instead of a 120mm and 60mm bit.

The only time I did something like this I sealed the holes with rubber. It was far too long ago for me. to rememeber what it was as it was from a custom PC company that doesn't exist anymore.

You could use something like PVC tape or if you can find some type of weather stripping. I'd be concerned about leaving the holes bare and would use soft washers on screws as well.

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
The only time I did something like this I sealed the holes with rubber.

You could use something like PVC tape or if you can find some type of weather stripping.

I was originally going to use some sort of strip like that, but then I realized how little room I have between the two bottom fans for something like that and think it would be better to use some sort of liquid that dries, like paint or nail polish I guess, unless there is something better for this?

I'd be concerned about leaving the holes bare and would use soft washers on screws as well.

Wait, why? Is that going to cause problems? I was going to paint the screw holes too, or do you mean I still need additional padding? I am going to put fan grills/covers on the exterior of the case too, but the fans themselves are going to be on the interior and just be right against the screw holes.

Last edited:
I was originally going to use some sort of strip like that, but then I realized how little room I have between the two bottom fans for something like that and think it would be better to use some sort of liquid that dries, like paint or nail polish I guess, unless there is something better for this?
If you have the room around the primary holes to use something like a PVC tape I'd do that, but yeah anything to seal the bare metal should be good.
Wait, why? Is that going to cause problems? I was going to paint the screw holes too, or do you mean I still need additional padding? I am going to put fan grills/covers on the exterior of the case too, but the fans themselves are going to be on the interior and just be right against the screw holes.
I'd use soft washers on the screws just because you're likely going to break through anything you put on the screw holes with the screws themselves. When I did mine I had the fan mounted on the inside with grill on the outside and rubber washers on either side of the opening cut in the case.

Ralston18

Titan
I am of the mind that the less done to the holes the better.

Exceptions being just a bit of silver anti-rust paint applied to the shiny edges of the holes and perhaps washers (metal and rubber) as previously posted to distribute load and reduce vibration.

Simply file off any burrs etc, on the bigger holes and otherwise try to reduce the sharp edges. Then coat/ paint to protect shiny metal from corrosion.

Rely on fan grills, housings, etc. to protect someone from being cut by the edges. Of, course, that means being very careful doing any additional work along with the actual fan installations.

I like DIY and it is clear that you thought things out and did a good job locating and cutting the holes.

My concern is more the impact on the future installation of other components and interior case air flows in general.

However, you always have the option to remove the fans and pop-rivet another piece of sheet metal to cover the hole(s) that were made. And the skills to do so.

Call it a prototype: I.e., "Work in Progress".

Do what makes sense and proves workable.

Try to keep your options open. Especially if a "do over" becomes necessary and it needs to be taken apart in some manner.

No harm in posting some additional photographs as you go continue the project.

Reactions: Cyber_Akuma

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
Yeah, if you're happy with the looks a little clear nail polish/top coat will take care of rust. File any burrs off first, as others have said. No need to make it complicated. Looks like your did a good job so far.