Question Strange Artifacts in The Last of Us and Cyberpunk

Apr 10, 2024
After updating to version 1.1.3, i started noticing these weird pixelated Grids on many reflective surfaces and some kind of blurry squares around Joel. https://streamable.com/3tp5fl

I noticed that Cyberpunk started displaying an issue similar to this aswell, starting from version 2.0 of the game. Basically there would be a pixelated line, like a distortion, on the ground infront of the player when moving , but only on surfaces that are reflective. The strange thing was that this would only happen when i set ssr to ultra. On Psycho or high, or anything else except ultra for that matter this issue wasnt there. Wish i could show it in a video, but its not as visible as in TLOU.

Since this is the second game that displays this behaviour, and i cant find anybody having the same issue on the internet i am starting to think that this could be an issue with my GPU. Every driver is up to date, and DDUing drivers and installing previous versions didnt fix it. gpu temps are 58 C and 75 C Hotspot.

Does anybody know what is causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

7800x3d, xfx merc310 7900xtx, b650a asus rog strix, 6000mhz cl 30, all games on ultra(no rtx), native 1440p UW,

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah psu is fine.

I searched the last of us blocky shadows. I guess depending how you search things, or rather trying to guess how someone else would phrase an issue that could actually be similar and snag best discussions for you to sift through. Even add shimmering to your search strings. That goes for Cyber as well.

I'm guessing it could be a setting in game or Adrenaline or even both, just need to try figure it out with threads you hopefully find depending how you search it.

Try disable full screen optimisation in properties of the game's executable.
Apr 10, 2024
This might help, read the whole thread.

Hey,

i actually tried the games on multiple PC's, only the GPU beeing the same. Tried already deleting shaders, installing newer/older drivers, even a fresh windows install. The problem would always persist.

I've managed to get it to be somewhat visible in Cyberpunk aswell. https://streamable.com/1lqqal

There is a pixelated distortion on the reflective ground around 2-3 metres infront of the player when moving, but only when i set ssr to ultra. I downgraded to v1.6 and the problem wasnt there, but with the last of us now displaying somewhat similar behaviour , and literally nobody on the internet having the same issue , i'm starting to worry that there might be a bigger problem, than just the game version related bugs to it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Which Windows are you running? Do you have a spare drive around whether it mechanical or ssd could trial a fresh install on? To kinda rule out anything funky on Microsoft's end with updates or something else software wise.

Apr 10, 2024
Which Windows are you running? Do you have a spare drive around whether it mechanical or ssd could trial a fresh install on? To kinda rule out anything funky on Microsoft's end with updates or something else software wise.

I just recently changed to two NVME Drives and freshly installed Windows again.I've basically installed a clean windows version 3 times in the last 2 months now.

Currently running on Win11 23H2. I've removed all unnecessary Bloatware that comes with a Windows Install and there is nothing running in the background except for firefox and hwinfo.

Before i upgraded i ran on Sata SSD's and the issue was there in Cyberpunk. It started around December. The thing that makes me anxious is, that either my old Mobo or CPU started causing random shutdowns around that time. I dont recall having seen this artifacting before it started to happen, so im worried the shutdowns might have caused a defect on the GPU.

But then again, it doesnt happen in v1.6 or on anything but ultra SSR.

I used to run a 5600x on a Gigabyte B550 and recently upgraded to a 7800x3d and b650a Rog Strix, due to the shutdowns. However, with the new hardware, the problem still persisted in Cyberpunk.

The Last of Us is new to me though. I've never seen/noticed that before.
I just downgraded to v1.1.0( that was the last version i used to play the game on) and it appeared aswell. Mind you, it did compile shaders again, so i doubt its corrupted shaders.
Memory Junction Temps hover between 68-72 degrees Celsius.

Its so apparent that i just cant believe nobody has noticed this. I wouldnt even care if this was something that will never be fixed, i secretly just wish for other people to have this issue so i can rule out a hardware defect and have some peace of mind.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah psu is fine.

I searched the last of us blocky shadows. I guess depending how you search things, or rather trying to guess how someone else would phrase an issue that could actually be similar and snag best discussions for you to sift through. Even add shimmering to your search strings. That goes for Cyber as well.

I'm guessing it could be a setting in game or Adrenaline or even both, just need to try figure it out with threads you hopefully find depending how you search it.

Reactions: FreeWill123
Solution
Apr 10, 2024
Yeah psu is fine.

I guess that could be a similar issue they are having. Hard to tell without having an example shown. I honestly dont even know what to search for anymore. If i type in pixelated reflections i find people complaining about the grainy reflections and if i type in broken SSR i find Indie Devs complaining about their implementation of SSR in the game.
How am i supposed to fix it or know what to do when i dont even know how the issue im having is called or how to filter it out through the houndreds of spam posts with people having the same issue ARRGHH. :D

Anyways, thank you for taking your time to help me, i really appreciate it!

Reactions: boju
Apr 10, 2024
It turned out that this was just the state of the games with AMD GPU's. Atleast for the Last of Us. In Cyberpunk(2.1) i think it affects AMD and Nvidia. Its surprising to me how nobody ever came to notice or make aware of that issue.
After weeks of worrying i can atleast sleep better now.:LOL:

Reactions: boju