News Ex-Windows developer calls Windows 11 Start menu performance 'comically bad,' even with a Core i9 and 128GB of RAM

The old guard clings to what they know....resists change. automatically finding fault.
And the mobs that move with the new things often forget the basic elements of what is good and not.

Change is not easy, but it doesn't have to be like this crap experience. You have a very bad take given the context and it has nothing to do with being old, young or mentally challenged.

Regards.

ekio

Reputable
Mar 24, 2021
It's the entire OS that is comically bad...

Horrible perfs, horrible min spec, horrible bloat, horrible blend of mixed UI generations.

Horrible underlying engineering. (regedit, C:\\ path, mess in Win dir)

Some major part of the UI are still the old hacks made 25 years ago.

How many devs are working on that crap to make it so bad and badly updated, 2 ?

USAFRet

Titan
It's the entire OS that is comically bad...

Horrible perfs, horrible min spec, horrible bloat, horrible blend of mixed UI generations.

Horrible underlying engineering. (regedit, C:\\ path, mess in Win dir)

Some major part of the UI are still the old hacks made 25 years ago.

How many devs are working on that crap to make it so bad and badly updated, 2 ?
Which OS do you use?

Reactions: Order 66

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Performance tends to tank when you are trying to make something simple do too many things.
Trying to fill it with suggested crap, ads, and other bs that doesnt belong there.
Not to mention that they are probably data mining every freaking keystroke for revenue and/or "AI" learning.

Reactions: Kridian
Apr 1, 2020
What's "comically bad" is that Microsoft refuses to do anything about it, even though I imagine it's the number one complaint most people will have with Windows 11, or at least in the top 3. Everyone knows they don't want to ditch it because they spent all that time and money rewriting it from scratch and it serves ads and generates revenue, but it's seriously as bad as Windows 8's forced full screen Start.

Personally I use ExplorerPatcher and Windows 10's style taskbar and Windows 11 style Start menu with the recommended (and therefore ads) section disabled.

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
The search bar shouldn't lag. It's a critical part of the OS's capability, and it should be ready at a moment's notice every single time. With that said, I find even W10's search feature breaks - you type and nothing shows up. Now I see why people recommend 3rd party search apps.

Reactions: NinoPino

Amdlova

Distinguished
So my first cpu on lga 1700 is the 12700t downgrade it to 13500t (some weird issues with latency) downgrade it again to 13100T works great but need more power because the hell divers 2... looking at the ebay find one 13600T... it's all same generation of cpu same 35w locked power... but from the 13500t for the 13600t it's night and day of difference. DON'T KNOW what intel does on these cpu. But if you have a issue on your cpu even the start button will be a nightmare... maybe is some latency with speed shift, turbo 3.0 2.0. (PS: windows 10 has blower you don't have too much turbo lag)

sjkpublic

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
More detail would be nice. Saying that using 128GB memory and a fast CPU is of no help. My guess is it is a synchronous outside service issue. Just move to another service. Or wait for a asynchronous version comes out. I would be more concerned as to what info is being captured...

Reactions: coolitic

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Horrible perfs
I haven't had any performance issues. granted I'm on a ryzen 7 7700x and RX 6800, but still.
horrible min spec
Really?? 4GB of RAM has been easily achievable since 2015, and a 1GHZ or faster processor requirement was met in 2006 by the core 2 duo. Now sure, TPM is an obstacle, but that can be bypassed. 64GB of storage is also nothing by modern standards.

Mar 1, 2024
The modern windows tendency to be just like, inexplicably haunted is a fun one. Literally any one tiny thing could be wrong with the machine, or the OS, and we'd never know. I've never had a single issue with windows' search bar function in the start menu across the last ~5 generations of chips I've used...

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Strange. For many of us, both Windows 10 and 11 (I use both) are fast and responsive. And barely if ever crash.

We must be doing something really wrong .
Most of the time I completely agree! Then there are times when something breaks seemingly at random. I've had issues where the start menu fails to appear or match search text to an installed program. Worse, the start menu can get pop-in when typing the name of something you wanted to open. Defender loves to reduce system performance by scanning -- even when it was told not to or when not scheduled -- while playing an intensive game or using game content creation apps. My personal favorite is when Edge goes into NES cartridge mode and renders vertical rectangles randomly on the display.

Windows 10 and 11 just work most of the time. But, they malfunction often enough that it's memorable, annoying, and unacceptable.