News First AI-generated rom-com is due this summer -- and the trailer puts Hallmark Channel to shame

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
It looks like s....

The sequences are generic
The faces move weirdly
There's no emotion in any of the voiced lines
I feel like it's trying to dazzle me with Pachinko parlor tactics using flashy lights and loud music, rather than have any substance.

Apr 1, 2020
Yes it looks janky, it's not going to be blockbuster Hollywood movie motion capture quality good, but it's not that far off, relatively speaking. It reminds me of about 10 year old video game graphics, PS3-4 era, like NBA 2K15.

nba2k15_08.jpg

Once they realize they can do animation styles now (Simpsons or even manga quality) instead of going for a more realism style, that's when people will need to worry.

Reactions: gg83

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
It looks like s....

The sequences are generic
The faces move weirdly
There's no emotion in any of the voiced lines
I feel like it's trying to dazzle me with Pachinko parlor tactics using flashy lights and loud music, rather than have any substance.

Isn't that peak rom-com though?

Reactions: gg83

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
This is a stunt to get attention, and it looks like it's working.

Fast forward 10-20 years from now, and this kind of thing will likely be commonplace, of much greater quality, and potentially made on demand based on your "interests". I could also see teams of amateurs making their own movie or cartoon with IP/personality right infringement at its core. Nobody could stop you from casting famous dead (or living) actors and distributing the end result through the usual pirate channels.

boonta

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
WOW, that looks bad... Like worse than a cheesy cut-scene froma videogame bad. The script sounds like it was written by a highschool Freshman.

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I've made a little game for myself recently where I try and spot articles that don't mention AI in some way. I give myself an imaginary million when I see one.

Images of people created by the Artificial 'Intelligence' always seem a bit weird to me. They seem too smooth looking, and the eyes and hair seem rather disconcerting, like an idealised version of what a 'pretty person' should be. That's what the people in this silly trailer look like.

And why do they always look superimposed on an incredibly blurry background?

I called the stupid fad Artificial Augmentation in another post, and I stand by that assessment.

Reactions: Albert.Thomas

35below0

Notable
Jan 3, 2024
I liked the clock striking 12. Some of the scenes were so textbook it hurts but they looked good.

If you "trained" an AI on movies, rom-coms in particular and asked it to condense all the knowledge into one movie that follows the formula to a t, that would be the result. It's almost perfect.

Reactions: Albert.Thomas

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
Isn't that peak rom-com though?
No, it's not, unless you mean peak heap of trash shovelware shovelflicks

I noticed when taking a second look, but it's also completely devoid of the comedy part.

What is particularly noteworthy, is that this AI generated one seems to strike all the boxes of the worst rated rom-coms.

"Down to You is ruined by a bland, by-the-numbers plot and an awful script."
"Overly reliant on caricatures and lacking any human insight, Because I Said So is an unfunny, cliche-ridden mess."
"A romantic comedy that's neither funny nor particularly romantic, Serving Sara is a forgettable time waster."