Question How could I switch 10Mbps to 100Mbps full duplex settings in the router?

Apr 7, 2024
Hello!

Is there any way to switch settings in router from 10Mbps Full Duplex to 100Mbps Full Duplex? Or how else this problem could be solved?
I have an Internet speed 100Mbps, but router capped it to 10Mbps and even less. When I plugged Internet cable directly to laptop and check the speed on the speedtest.net, showed results over 90Mbps. So it's undoubtedly problem of router.

Also, I want to ask, probably I should buy other router if this model doesn't has the ability to switch this parameter? But in this case I need to know exactly, what kind of model has ability to work on 100Mbps Full Duplex or to be switchable?

link to screenshot

Model: TL-WR940N
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 3.20.1 Build 211111 Rel.32795n (4555)

Thanks in advance!

Ralston18

Titan
This router?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr940n/

= = = =

Clarify:

"When I plugged Internet cable directly to laptop" - which/what internet cable?

What make and model modem is installed?

Connectivity being similar to the following line diagram:

ISP === (coax, DSL, fiber) ===> Modem ---->[WAN Port] Router [LAN Port 2] ----> [LAN Port] PC/laptop

Edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello!

Is there any way to switch settings in router from 10Mbps Full Duplex to 100Mbps Full Duplex? Or how else this problem could be solved?
I have an Internet speed 100Mbps, but router capped it to 10Mbps and even less. When I plugged Internet cable directly to laptop and check the speed on the speedtest.net, showed results over 90Mbps. So it's undoubtedly problem of router.

Also, I want to ask, probably I should buy other router if this model doesn't has the ability to switch this parameter? But in this case I need to know exactly, what kind of model has ability to work on 100Mbps Full Duplex or to be switchable?

link to screenshot

Thanks in advance!
You really should replace that router.
Hello!

link to screenshot

Thanks in advance!
When there is a situation like this, you should ALWAYS change the cable.
Second thing to try is factory reset the router and set just the bare minimum setttings (admin password, WIFI parameters) nothing else.
Third thing is there is one newer firmware than the 211111 version you are running. -- https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/tl-wr940n/v6/#Firmware
I don't see ANYTHING in the user's manual about being able to set the speed/duplex. Typically that is all handled at the hardware level.

If all else fails, a replacement for that router would be a good investment. That is only a 2.4Ghz WIFI device. That is VERY old standard hardware.

It is very rare to find a consumer grade router that lets you set the speed and duplex. Make sure you leave your pc set to auto. The router runs auto mode and if you set the pc side sometimes it will not pick the correct speeds.

Problems like this tend to be cables.

Even though you don't actually need it I would buy a router with gigabit ports. It is actually becoming hard to find routers that have 100mbps ports. There are a bunch of devices you can get for under $50 that will be massively more advanced than your current router. Look for models that have a 1200 or 1750 number.

I suspect though a new ethenret cable will likely solve your issue.

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
In Windows device manager, go to network adapters, select the wireless adapter, go to properties, advanced, wireless mode and make sure its set to auto.
Here is the link for drivers, make sure you pick the right version. Info will be on the box it came in or on the label underneath the router.

kanewolf

Titan
In Windows device manager, go to network adapters, select the wireless adapter, go to properties, advanced, wireless mode and make sure its set to auto.
Here is the link for drivers, make sure you pick the right version. Info will be on the box it came in or on the label underneath the router.
If you looked at the screen shot, you would have seen that it is the WAN port on the router that is 10mbit. Windows is not related to this problem.