Question Is this HDD still good ?

I bought a 2.5" Seagate BarraCuda 1TB on April 7, 2021 . Never opened/unboxed it ... it is in its sealed anti static bag.
Do you recommend using this drive in a build in 2024 ?
For what purpose?
What are you going to put onto it?

That is a low performance 5400 rpm SMR drive.
Expect bad/inconsistent write performance.
It's not suitable for installing windows onto it.
Could use it for archives/backups/user media storage.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
SMR drivse not good for much but archiving. Write once read a few times later.

Constant game-related use (reading to load levels, textures, etc and writing progress data and saves and such) if those games are loaded/played from the drive frequently would prrobably break it real soon.

SMR drivse not good for much but archiving. Write once read a few times later.

Constant game-related use (reading to load levels, textures, etc and writing progress data and saves and such) if those games are loaded/played from the drive frequently would prrobably break it real soon.
Unless there's actual data to back this up, this just sounds like fear mongering because it's an SMR drive.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Unless there's actual data to back this up, this just sounds like fear mongering because it's an SMR drive.
Maybe I should have added it's more from personal experience and what I've heard from people who do IT and tech support.

I've as a side-job/hobby helped with repairing and troubleshooting PCs and laptops for 3 medium-size companies and friends and family. Out of the 60ish broken HDDs I've dealt with in the last 3 years 45-50 (don't remember exact number) of the drives that broke much sooner than expected, if we take the MTBF as a basis, were SMR ones.

I have had 3 HDDs break in the last 5 years and 2 of them were Seagate SMR ones. Two 2.5" and one 3.5".

Fear-mongering is a bit strong for something which is more persoanl experince and opinion based on that experience. You take it however you like it.