Question Changing Deepcool AK620 Fans position ?

starb0y

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Hello, Today I'll upgrade my cpu cooler (7800x3D) from Noctua u12s-redux to Deepcool ak620, I've corsair dominator titanium ram and its height is 57mm tall,
Right now I'm 100% sure that the ram will block the cooler fan if it's installed normally so I've few options,

First option is to install the fans in mid and rear positions instead of front and mid, but the question is, Will that affect cooling performance!
Second one is to remove the ram's top bar, height will be ~42mm but without any lighting, I always have it off anyways.
Third option is to set the front ram a little more higher, 1.4~ cm higher to be precised, But I also don't know if that will affect the cooling drastically.

I'm currently running that cpu PBO Enhancement of Profile 80 lvl 4, which is doing temp limit of 80c and CO all cores -40,
I'm planning to remove the temp limits to avoid any temp throttles.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
Can you attach the fan a little higher if it's in the front position?

I don't think cooling performance would be affected by fan position (front, mid, back). It would be a little bit worse if you moved one of the fans higher than center.

What would affect cooling far more than CPU cooler fans is the temperature of the air they rush over the fins. Your CPU will be happier if the case is well ventilated and cool

Reactions: starb0y

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
Hello, Today I'll upgrade my cpu cooler (7800x3D) from Noctua u12s-redux to Deepcool ak620, I've corsair dominator titanium ram and its height is 57mm tall,
Right now I'm 100% sure that the ram will block the cooler fan if it's installed normally so I've few options,

First option is to install the fans in mid and rear positions instead of front and mid, but the question is, Will that affect cooling performance!
Second one is to remove the ram's top bar, height will be ~42mm but without any lighting, I always have it off anyways.
Third option is to set the front ram a little more higher, 1.4~ cm higher to be precised, But I also don't know if that will affect the cooling drastically.

I'm currently running that cpu PBO Enhancement of Profile 80 lvl 4, which is doing temp limit of 80c and CO all cores -40,
I'm planning to remove the temp limits to avoid any temp throttles.
Based on my testing, putting the fans on pull instead of push will decrease cooling.

Your best bet is a combo of your 2nd and, if needed, 3rd options.

Reactions: starb0y

starb0y

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Based on my testing, putting the fans on pull instead of push will decrease cooling.

Your best bet is a combo of your 2nd and, if needed, 3rd options.
If this will allow the cooler's fans to fit, then go with this.

The cooler shipped with static pressure fans, which are designed to push through obstructions. They aren't as good for pulling air through them.
Can you attach the fan a little higher if it's in the front position?

I don't think cooling performance would be affected by fan position (front, mid, back). It would be a little bit worse if you moved one of the fans higher than center.

What would affect cooling far more than CPU cooler fans is the temperature of the air they rush over the fins. Your CPU will be happier if the case is well ventilated and cool
Alright lads, I'll go for options 3 , 2 in order, Thanks
I'll also test and share the results if you're interested.

Reactions: ReveurGAM

starb0y

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
I'd do 2 first, but let us know.
Well, lifting the fan on top of the ram blocked the case left panel from closing so I ended up removing the first ram's topper,
HOWEVER THERE'S LIKE 5C DECREASE ONLY FOR SWITCHIGN TO THIS COOLER! I'M SO DISAPPOINTED
image.png

it's only 82c using cpuz stresser, using Furmark's CPU burner hits the 90c in 1 second, with all fans on 100%
Add to that the stupid fans are so noisy, and i can feel the vibrations all over my desk!

Ngl it feels like I've wasted my money.
@ReveurGAM @hotaru.hino @35below0

HOWEVER THERE'S LIKE 5C DECREASE ONLY FOR SWITCHIGN TO THIS COOLER! I'M SO DISAPPOINTED
What were you expecting?

it's only 82c using cpuz stresser, using Furmark's CPU burner hits the 90c in 1 second, with all fans on 100%
What part of the CPU is hitting 90C? I expect the cores themselves to hit their peak temperature really quickly if you hit them with a stress test. In addition, Zen 4 processors are designed to hit their thermal limit first. Tdie should creep up to it eventually, but still remain lower.

Add to that the stupid fans are so noisy, and i can feel the vibrations all over my desk!
Most fans at 100% are going to be noisy. Vibrations also sounds like a mounting issue.

Add to that , I really had a bad experience with out of box quality, cooler plate had scratches, and a piece of plastic was broken
Cooler plate pics
The broken plastic under topper*
Those scratches don't look like they'll dramatically affect performance. And unless the plastic top can't hold onto the face plate, I wouldn't really worry about it. Besides, it's only for aesthetics anyway.

Another point to ask is how did you apply the thermal paste? The "pea sized dollop" doesn't really work well for Ryzen CPUs since Ryzen 3000. For Ryzen 7000 CPUs you should either do an X-pattern or a line across the middle under the "RYZEN" logo.

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
Well, lifting the fan on top of the ram blocked the case left panel from closing so I ended up removing the first ram's topper,
image.png

Ngl it feels like I've wasted my money.
@ReveurGAM @hotaru.hino @35below0
You need to understand that when you're looking at the best coolers, the difference in temperature is NOT large. 5C is really good!

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
Add to that , I really had a bad experience with out of box quality, cooler plate had scratches, and a piece of plastic was broken
Cooler plate pics
The broken plastic under topper*
NGL, I would've returned it instead of using it. The scratches are clearly from the factory, but that broken plate...Well, it could've been at the factory or in transit. I've received several coolers with bent fins, for example, which was due to the box being dropped in transit.