News Galax launches single-slot RTX 4060 Ti — uses a very slim blower design

Not a big fan of the 4060 and 4060ti, but I’ll give galax credit. More companies should make this type of product for home PCs etc. Although I’ve been now building PCs for years, it started with my dad and I upgrading our home pc in the 90s until we eventually built a PC.

Reactions: iLoveThe80s
Noise is the product’s Achilles' heel.. Fan noise looks like it might be the most significant drawback of the Galax – the price you pay for the compactness – with 51.4dBA recorded in tests. The aforementioned iGame model only hit 32.2dBA in the same situation, and Nvidia’s FE model hit 28.4dBA.

Why so ? I wouldn't call it an Achilles' heel per se. Because what else do you expect from a blower-style GPU cooler/model ?

These blower cards tend to be noisy for the most part, and saying that this is the card's most significant drawback kind of contradicts the whole point, and you make it look like a bad product (which frankly speaking is not, based on the performance it delivers).

Also, the iGame model which they are comparing with is a triple-fan 'open-air' GPU (see image below). So there is bound to be a difference in the noise level. So the comparison and your conclusion is moot, at least in my opinion.

You and others might disagree with me though. ;)

https://www.expreview.com/90843.html

EtbLeMD.jpeg

Last edited:

kealii123

Great
Nov 3, 2023
This is actually exactly what I'm looking for to run LLMs locally. Good vram to price ratio, and single slot makes it easier to fit multiple into a single chassis

COLGeek

Cybernaut
That is a similar design to one slot workstation GPUs that have been used forever. Not the sexiest solution, and not for OCing, but definitely gets the job done and supports the flexible uses some have already mentioned.

Actually, there is one more thing to be noted. I consider this as a "plus point" though.

This particular GALAX blower GPU has a fan STOP tech feature, meaning the fan won't spin in IDLE standby mode. The 0db feature.

Kind of strange though, since blower-type cards usually don't have this feature, unlike open-air coolers, IMO ?

Even my Zotac RTX 4060 Solo 'single-fan' GPU model has the fan spinning constantly, and I can't make it stop, apart from decreasing the fan speed manually to 30% max, which is the default factory speed. :(

Below that 30% value, the fan cannot be controlled or stopped. So it's good to know this Galax/Galaxy GPU will keep the noise levels in check by shutting off the fan when not needed, when the LOAD on the card is less. (y)

There is no need to worry about high temperature and frequency reduction. In standby mode, the graphics card fan stops and relies entirely on passive heat dissipation. After a 10-minute standby test, the GPU temperature rose slowly, reaching a maximum of 43.6 degrees, but it still did not reach the temperature at which the fan starts. The hot spot temperature is 52.1℃.

Reactions: FoxTread3
Oct 17, 2023
April 20, 2024 - I'm no where near being in the league of the commenters here, though I do build or update desktop PCs on average of every two years. My only comment is that while all of my builds are full tower PCs. I still find the ever growing size of GPUs kind of annoying, and baffling to some degree. It seems to me that so many Tech products are increasing in memory, capability etc. while getting smaller in size. GPUs seem to be growing in size to the point that they'll HAVE to be housed in separate enclosures. It's nice to see GPUs that aren't the width of a school bus. :giggle:

Amdlova

Distinguished
April 20, 2024 - I'm no where near being in the league of the commenters here, though I do build or update desktop PCs on average of every two years. My only comment is that while all of my builds are full tower PCs. I still find the ever growing size of GPUs kind of annoying, and baffling to some degree. It seems to me that so many Tech products are increasing in memory, capability etc. while getting smaller in size. GPUs seem to be growing in size to the point that they'll HAVE to be housed in separate enclosures. It's nice to see GPUs that aren't the width of a school bus. :giggle:
Yeah it's annoying the size of these new Gpus.
Especially that 2.5 slots and 3.5 slots...
What'a hell full sized e-atx motherboard with a case with 8 slots you can only put two cards...

Remember when you can quad crossfire or tri sli setup two slots are mandatory