News Windows 11 update brings advertisements to the start menu

coromonadalix

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
nah since windows is a service Msoft do what they want, we are the guinea pigs remember

they want to focus on pubs and revenues, instead of giving us a good and reliable windows

Reactions: ezst036

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
This is what Microsoft is going to do instead of charging a monthly fee - which they know people will never go for. Ads! Ads everywhere.

Microsoft might even go the YouTube route. Pay us $20 bucks a month to make the ads go away. That would certainly be more enticing than just subscribing for an OS. Market research proves that people are willing to pay to make ads go away.

They are learning terrible lessons from Google.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I expect its just like win 10, might be able to remove them from listing like you could on it.

Shame they did this, it was the one thing they hadn't bought over from 10.

I don't use start menu often so I probably won't notice them anyway.

So microsoft has no concerns about system performance issues that comes from all of these ads and the related data mining to feed those ads. But, they can't put the seconds in the clock on the task bar because it has too big of an impact on performance... Right... Gotta have priorities.
No modification required to add the seconds to the windows clock... You should check your windows settings...

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
No modification required to add the seconds to the windows clock... You should check your windows settings...
Yeah, I see they actually did add that recently. Of course, they even note in the setting that it "uses more power". I actually don't want the seconds in the taskbar time myself. I just thought it was funny that people want this and they made a big stink about how it uses too much power but they'll do plenty of other crap that uses power that people don't want. Personally, I just want the seconds available somewhere and don't need it in the taskbar. It used to be in the calendar pop-up in Win10 which makes sense to me more then in the taskbar. Hell, even their "clock" app doesn't show seconds anywhere. But this is getting off topic. :)

Reactions: salgado18

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Ads everywhere, and you still have to purchase a license to use it. If you need a lesson on monopoly and what happens when there is no competition, this is it. (I know of Macs and Linux, but the first is locked to their own ecosystem, and the second is statistically barely used).

We seriously need laws w/ non critical changes.

Anything that doesn't benefit user should be toggled OFF by default.

Use human relations as example: if you ask to have relations w/ someone and they don't say "yes" should you assume its ok to do so anyways?

The system agreeing to do something w/o consent of the user on ANYTHING should be a crime :|

Reactions: Order 66

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Looks like 3rd party Start Menu programmers are going to be making some extra cash.

Free (but butchers the OS): Explorer Patcher
Free: OpenShell. Hit or miss. Updates can break it.
Paid, nearly crippled my install but others have used it fine: StarDock
Paid: StartAllBack (StartIsBack), my preferred and go to.

Rabohinf

Prominent
May 4, 2023
This is good news.
LOL. LMAO.
I use Open Shell for my start menu so no adds for me.

Looks like 3rd party Start Menu programmers are going to be making some extra cash.

Free (but butchers the OS): Explorer Patcher
Free: OpenShell. Hit or miss. Updates can break it.
Paid, nearly crippled my install but others have used it fine: StarDock
Paid: StartAllBack (StartIsBack), my preferred and go to.
Search for farag2, Sophia Script, and O&OShutUp10++.

Ads everywhere, and you still have to purchase a license to use it. If you need a lesson on monopoly and what happens when there is no competition, this is it. (I know of Macs and Linux, but the first is locked to their own ecosystem, and the second is statistically barely used).
MacOS isn't locked down at all. You can install whatever you want from wherever you want. You can even access the Terminal.

Windows 11 update brings advertisements to the start menu : Read more

(reads more)
Windows 11 update doesn't bring advertisments to the start menu. Thanks for the click and comment.

"Though this update is optional for now, one may speculate that Microsoft could eventually make this a mandatory update."
I may speculate my arse will be made of ice cream one day. But it's not.
Hmmm, must be this optional update preview I see. Welp, not that I ever opt in for that garbage but extra nope on this one.

Colif

Win 11 Master
"Though this update is optional for now, one may speculate that Microsoft could eventually make this a mandatory update."
sky is falling "news" like this sure does make people click...

must be a slow news day.

optional updates are a great way to break windows I have found. Don't run windows update unless it insists... like mine is currently.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
This shouldn't be legal. If I pay for a license to use a piece of software or OS, I should not be forced to have ads anywhere on the OS. I pay for software with the assumption that there won't be ads, whereas I use free software with the assumption that there will be ads, features behind paywall, or both.