News Nintendo forces Garry's Mod to delete 20 years of content — Garry confirms Nintendo is behind Steam Workshop purge

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Nintendo is absolutely out of control. This is the sort of action that does brand and reputation damage. Most of these mods obviously fall under fair use. A lot of the mods create ways for people to engage with Nintendo properties in a way that amplifies the value of their IP too. There is no negative commercial impact here.

I'm going to be looking for ways to stick it to Nintendo in retaliation for these takedowns. Hopefully many people feel the same way.

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
Why does Nintendo have to be so anti consumer?! Why can’t they just let people use their work non commercially? I would understand if people were making money off it, but this isn’t the first time that nintendo has done something anti consumer.

Nintendo has always been an extremely scummy company, in more ways than one. But I think as it relates to IP, I think they are extremely protective of it, because if they don't, more and more people will try and start using it, and they think it will get out of hand. If they sue some 10 year old kid who uses a self-hand-drawn blown up Mario background as his backdrop for a school speech about the video game industry, and the school awarded him a 100$ gift card to a toy store because of how well done his speech was, Nintendo will claim that the child made money off their IP.

They will sue, and Nintendo will win, or the students parents will settle for $50K in damages that don't actually exist because it would cost less than going to court. There are no actual damages. Nintendo just does this to "send a message" to the world. Problem is: Copyright laws enable this. The copyright laws as they are need a serious overhall and rework, as right now they severely stifle innovation and creativity amongst gamers. This is just one example.

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
Nintendo became the scum of gaming world not only by keeping themselves their IP from growing and shining selling really lackluster potat.. I mean hardware, but also by trashing their fans and customers. Anytime now they are going after Kaizo Mario lol, and that's actually a really good example of level design done right. They could have learnt something with mods instead of trying to take em down

Apr 25, 2024
sadly for Nintendo once soemthigns on the net it doesnt go away.

Already a subreddit getting people together to preserve the content being removed.
"Sadly for nintendo" lmao

Yeah, and luckily for us we can always find just about anything they try to nuke off of the internet. They tried to kill Switch emulation too but it ain't going anywhere. Can't wait to emulate the heck out of TTYD next month

Reactions: Order 66
You guys do realize that the bulk of Garry's Mod content tends to be pretty trash, right? I'm guessing much of the Nintendo related content on it was using Nintendo's characters and properties in ways that was making them look bad. This isn't just user-generated content either. A lot of this is content directly ripped from Nintendo's games and ported into this game.

And keep in mind that Garry's Mod is not just some free mod, as its name might imply. It's a title being sold on Steam that's made tens of millions of dollars, so its developer definitely has a responsibility to make sure content uploaded by its users is not infringing on the property of others.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The article said:
Nintendo took issue with when it discovered years' worth of ripped Nintendo assets in-game.
Funny thing is, I dreamed of being able to do this as a young child, back in the days of NES. I know I'm not the only one, and I had no idea how it would work, but it seemed to me that it must somehow be possible to bring characters from one game into another.

Well, I'm glad people had fun with it, while it lasted. And I do hope their crackdowns somehow backfire on Nintendo.

DougMcC

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
Funny thing is, I dreamed of being able to do this as a young child, back in the days of NES. I know I'm not the only one, and I had no idea how it would work, but it seemed to me that it must somehow be possible to bring characters from one game into another.

Well, I'm glad people had fun with it, while it lasted. And I do hope their crackdowns somehow backfire on Nintendo.
It backfires at least a little bit. I avoid nintendo products because of this behavior, and I know other gamers do too. I guess it's not enough money to get their attention but it does impact their sales.

I think I once heard about why Nintendo was so adamant about taking candy from kids (in their IP protection) being based on some obscure legal matter of "If you don't defend it, you don't own it"
and they want to own those IP's so.....

but it's at "I think I heard" level so not too stable there.

Reactions: 35below0
Apr 25, 2024
Nintendo has always produced garbage games that appeal to stupid people. Why do any of you expect anything else from them? I'm 50 years old. I never understood why anyone would play any of there games. They bored me in the eighties and nineties. When I had kids, I Wii keyed and put flash carts in their systems. Do you know why? Because Nintendo didn't produce one single game worth paying for. I remember downloading hundreds of games and burning them or loading them on their systems. They would play about three of them. Nintendo has ripped off millions of people with their garbage games and 'no refund once opened' return policies. How are you supposed to know the game is garbage until you try it? Nintendo should go bankrupt and die the death they deserve.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Nintendo is a dying company that relies too heavily on its IP alone, underpowered and overpriced hardware, and a non-existent - except aforementioned IP - library.

I sold my switch. It sat doing nothing because there was nothing to do on it.

Nintendo might have one more console in them before going Sega.

I don't think anyone here mentioned that Nintendo is a Japanese company and therefore has a completely different culture and therefore has a different expectation on the use of their IP materials. While I do not agree with what they are doing for many reasons, I can at the least recognize that in their culture they have a different perspective and values on the subject.

Nintendo, like most companies reacting like this are idiots, if the mods are not making any money directly for the creator but promoting the product, especially for how long Garys Mod has been around, should be seen as a good thing. Just another knee jerk short sighted reaction from a company, in my opinion is no longer innovating but living off it's IP.

Nov 14, 2023
Threads like these always remind me how absurdly entitled “gamers” are. Everyone here is talking about how anti-consumer Nintendo is, but Garry’s Mod included actual files and assets from Nintendo games. These weren’t reproductions of intellectual property or artistic representations thereof. These were actual copy and paste jobs of literal Nintendo digital assets from Nintendo games into another game. As a software developer who both produces and consumes open source software, I would never assume I can take a closed source digital asset and use it in my work. Nintendo was absolutely in the right here.

Last edited:

sentenced06

Honorable
BANNED
Oct 10, 2018
Threads like these always remind me how absurdly entitled “gamers” are. Everyone here is talking about how anti-consumer Nintendo is, but Gary’s Mod included actual files and assets from Nintendo games. These weren’t reproductions of intellectual property or artistic representations thereof. These were actual copy and paste jobs of literal Nintendo digital assets from Nintendo games into another game. As a software developer who both produces and consumes open source software, I would never assume I can take a closed source digital asset and use it in my work. Nintendo was absolutely in the right here.
who cares lmao its internet

Nintendo has always produced garbage games that appeal to stupid people.
a bad hot take.
I'm 50 years old. I never understood why anyone would play any of there games.
the fun thing about games are...if you dont liek them you dont have to play em.

When I had kids, I Wii keyed and put flash carts in their systems. Do you know why? Because Nintendo didn't produce one single game worth paying for.
so by your 1st statement....you think your kids are stupid? (as only reason you'd let your kids play em is if you thought they were by your own statement)
I remember downloading hundreds of games and burning them or loading them on their systems.

EVERY console has shovel ware & trash.

about the only console to have over 100 "good" games would likely be the nintendo handhelds (gba throguh 3ds....and original ds being the device w/ the msot)

also for something you seemingly hated...you sure spent a lot of effort to pirate stuff...
Nintendo has ripped off millions of people with their garbage games and 'no refund once opened' return policies. How are you supposed to know the game is garbage until you try it?
because thats Nintendo only? They all have that policy & yes, i too wish games had demos like in 90's but again..Nintendo is not the only one at fault here (and in their favor they DO offer demos for a bunch of games on e-shop)

Nintendo should go bankrupt and die the death they deserve.
and you just could of avoided all that hate post and just said you are a nintendo hater at start.

imagine being so unhappy in life you wish death on corporation that has literally no impact on your life...

Jan 23, 2024
I don't think anyone here mentioned that Nintendo is a Japanese company and therefore has a completely different culture and therefore has a different expectation on the use of their IP materials. While I do not agree with what they are doing for many reasons, I can at the least recognize that in their culture they have a different perspective and values on the subject.
Japanese culture is generally more accepting of fan works than western cultures, not less. That has nothing to do with it.

Reactions: Order 66