News Intel continues search for source of Core i9 chip crashes — issues statement about recommended BIOS settings to board partners

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sending a loose guideline to mobo makers to implement whenever they want and however they want can't really be called damage control
It's damage control, in the sense that Intel is getting a lot of bad PR and warranty returns. So, the damage to Intel is real.

,we have seen how real damage control looks with the exploding ryzen cpus, one agesa update after the other and new bioses left and right.
Trying to change the subject won't make this problem go away.

After a handful of known 7800X3D failures, AMD did issue firmware patches to their partners. They did not actually explode, in the sense of breaking into pieces, or causing a violent shock capable of collateral damage, and it wasn't "ryzen cpus", writ large.

Your characterization is sloppy to the point of seeming disingenuous. Unless your goal is to misinform others about the issue, I suggest you be more specific about it and not go beyond the established facts.

Reactions: jalyst
It's damage control, in the sense that Intel is getting a lot of bad PR and warranty returns. So, the damage to Intel is real.

Trying to change the subject won't make this problem go away.

After a handful of known 7800X3D failures, AMD did issue firmware patches to their partners. They did not actually explode, in the sense of breaking into pieces, or causing a violent shock capable of collateral damage, and it wasn't "ryzen cpus", writ large.

Your characterization is sloppy to the point of seeming disingenuous. Unless your goal is to misinform others about the issue, I suggest you be more specific about it and not go beyond the established facts.
All I say was reported by all the major outlets.
It was all 7000 CPUs, so all ryzen CPUs (of that generation) , and it was a violent expansion of force that did damage to surrounding matter, that's an explosion!
You are being the one that is trying to downplay anything AMD and is trying to up play anything intel.
Notably, the statement does not acknowledge the multiple reports of failures with standard Ryzen 7000 processors.
XX2KLW7DLQPkzfpMV8fwnW-1200-80.png.webp

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/a...use-identified-expo-and-soc-voltages-to-blame

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It was all 7000 CPUs, so all ryzen CPUs (of that generation),
Then please show evidence of a non-7000X3D CPU it happened to. From the reporting, the susceptibility of non-X3D CPUs is merely hypothetical.

and it was a violent expansion of force that did damage to surrounding matter, that's an explosion!
Expansion is not equal to an explosion. My phone battery expanded to the point where it split my phone apart, but that doesn't make it an explosion. Years ago, Samsung Galaxy Note 7 had a problem with exploding. There's a big difference.

You are being the one that is trying to downplay anything AMD and is trying to up play anything intel.
Just because you're pro-Intel doesn't automatically make anyone who disagrees with or challenges you pro-AMD. Some of us actually care about the facts.

Pierce2623

Upstanding
Dec 3, 2023
Are you talking about all core?! Because intel doesn't sell them as 5.8 all core....
The 13900k is 5.8 for 1-2 cores if and when temps and power allow it.
(turbo 3 )
I’m fully aware of how chips work. Also, with proper cooling the 13900k is easily capable of 5.8 all core. Now sure if you’re running Linpack or p95 that will be nearly impossible to keep cool but it’s quite easy to get through Cinebench runs that way. But yeah it’s clear Intel needs to bin them tighter. Even with the stupidly high voltages they use, it’s clear not all the cores are able to boost that high while remaining stable.

Reactions: jalyst

Pierce2623

Upstanding
Dec 3, 2023
It was all 7000 CPUs, so all ryzen CPUs (of that generation) , and it was a violent expansion of force that did damage to surrounding matter, that's an explosion!

XX2KLW7DLQPkzfpMV8fwnW-1200-80.png.webp

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/a...use-identified-expo-and-soc-voltages-to-blame
No dude. Don’t pretend CPUs were exploding and don’t pretend it was anything like as widespread as this. I’m currently running two Raptor Lake desktops and a Zen4 laptop and this is a much bigger problem as far as I’m concerned.