Question CHKDSK Getting Exponentially Slower

flon_klar

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
About a week ago, I started having a freezing issue with my computer- the screen would lock up, my mouse and keyboard didn't work, all I could do was turn it off at the power button. It would then restart, but it would take 20-30 minutes to boot up again. It happened 5 or 6 times before I realized it was a permanent problem.

So I checked the appropriate system logs and found that one of my SSDs was reporting a bad sector. As it was the only problem being reported, I assumed that it was the source of the issue, even though it's just a basic 2TB storage drive that I haven't accessed in months and just sits there idle.

So I fired up CHKDSK to see what could be done about repairing the drive. It started out great: it identified several corrupted files which it either repaired or deleted, and was going through the 1,684,236 files at the rate of about 11,000 per hour. Still, at that rate, it was going to busy for about a week.

Two days later, it has slowed to the rate of 7 files per hour, and it has not further identified any bad files for about 20 hours. My question is, Is there a good reason that CHKDSK has slowed down to this pace, and is there anything I can do about it, besides wait for literally the next 5 years for it to finish?

Thanks.

About a week ago, I started having a freezing issue with my computer- the screen would lock up, my mouse and keyboard didn't work, all I could do was turn it off at the power button. It would then restart, but it would take 20-30 minutes to boot up again. It happened 5 or 6 times before I realized it was a permanent problem.

So I checked the appropriate system logs and found that one of my SSDs was reporting a bad sector. As it was the only problem being reported, I assumed that it was the source of the issue, even though it's just a basic 2TB storage drive that I haven't accessed in months and just sits there idle.

So I fired up CHKDSK to see what could be done about repairing the drive. It started out great: it identified several corrupted files which it either repaired or deleted, and was going through the 1,684,236 files at the rate of about 11,000 per hour. Still, at that rate, it was going to busy for about a week.

Two days later, it has slowed to the rate of 7 files per hour, and it has not further identified any bad files for about 20 hours. My question is, Is there a good reason that CHKDSK has slowed down to this pace, and is there anything I can do about it, besides wait for literally the next 5 years for it to finish?

Thanks.
Yes, pretty good reason for slowdown, when it runs into suspected bad sectors it rechecks it several times and attempts rescue affected data to a spare space on disk. That's slow process on HDDs. All errors are reported to and recorded by S.M.A.R.T. and to read that by a program like Crystal disk info.
When CHKDSK runs it makes folder check.000, check.001 etc for every error found that points to data it "rescued" and moved but files are rarely complete because of missing bits.
Instead of forcing CHKDSK you should back up any valuable data you can as prolonged checking and repairing can cause even more bad sectors.

flon_klar

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
It's a redundant storage drive, so nothing I can't afford to lose.

So now its 9 hours after I started this thread, and there is ZERO progress from CHKDSK. Has it just given up, or is it still in operation?

Check out a program called gsmart control. But I would not spend much time testing as anything you do with that drive will put wear and tear on it. The focus if you need the data should be cloning that drive to a known working drive, then you can run check disk etc against the good drive to try to clean things up.