News Microsoft's new RAM limiter for Edge browser makes its way into latest beta version

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
Any excess RAM that is needed will be deffered to pagefile. If paging is disabled, either tabs will cease function, until clicked on, at which point the page will have to refresh, possibly losing an open session that relied on constant connectivity. People are going to start getting pissed off at edge when their browser stops working properly, because 99.999999999% of end users are not computer literate. Then they will all switch to chrome because at least it works properly, or call out microsoft for not telling people what limiting RAM actually does. Microsoft should probably put a disclaimer on there explaining how all this works

Reactions: iLoveThe80s

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
If this really increases battery life, I want to see some benchmarks.

Because my instinctive guess is you want the browser using 4~8GB out of the 2x8GB RAM configuration for best battery life.
And that going down to 1GB usage, 2x4GB or 2x16GB configuration would be worse for battery life.

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Any excess RAM that is needed will be deffered to pagefile. If paging is disabled, either tabs will cease function, until clicked on, at which point the page will have to refresh, possibly losing an open session that relied on constant connectivity. People are going to start getting pissed off at edge when their browser stops working properly, because 99.999999999% of end users are not computer literate. Then they will all switch to chrome because at least it works properly, or call out microsoft for not telling people what limiting RAM actually does. Microsoft should probably put a disclaimer on there explaining how all this works
I'm pretty sure Microsoft has baked in a claim on memory that is needed to retain session state regardless of how much you limit it to.

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
I'm pretty sure Microsoft has baked in a claim on memory that is needed to retain session state regardless of how much you limit it to.
Then people will claim that the limiter doesn't actually do anything. Hey, why is edge using more RAM? Oh. I guess this limiter doesn't actually do anything and is just basically a lie

Apr 1, 2020
A feature that shouldn't be needed in 2024, and a feature that's only going to cause more Edge hate from "experts" who set it at 1-2GB and it causes problems.

it will benefit low-end machines like 8GB laptops and desktops where every gigabyte counts.

You mean like the kind of machines TomsHardware advertises as "deals" and advises people to buy?