Question High CPU usage on a new build ?

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
mobo: msi z790-a pro
cpu: i5-12600kf
gpu: XFX Speedster SWFT319 ,Radeon™ RX 6800
memory: G.skill ripjaws V 16GB (2x8) ddr4-3200
display: acer nitro 1440p 180hz 27" widescreen
psu: msi mag a650bn 650W
storage: 1tb m.2
case: thermaltake mid tower my friend gifted me
cooler: hyper 212 halo black

I just built this system. I didn't change anything in the bios other than changing the boot mode from uefi to uefi+legacy... everything just seems to work better that way for some reason.

anyways.... I just set up my msi afterburner and was testing out everything running battlefield 1 on 1440p medium settings.

It seems like my cpu usage is a bit high some of the cores run around 95%+ which sometimes is even higher than my gpu usage. I also run around 3400mhz i noticed. I get about 55 degree temps.

I was wondering if my cpu was bottlenecking me. Should I adjust the bios settings and try to overclock it? I've never overclocked anything before and I'm not really sure.

I get 60 frames sometimes at 1440p medium settings..Was wondering if cpu overclock would help at all with that

usually im over 100+ frames and it seems to run great but idk if its normal for a couple cpu cores to run at 95% and if that would cause frame problems

Last edited:
mobo: msi 790-a pro
cpu: i5-12600kf
gpu: XFX Speedster SWFT319 ,Radeon™ RX 6800
memory: G.skill ripjaws V 16GB (2x8) ddr4-3200
display: acer nitro 1440p 180hz 27" widescreen
psu: msi mag a650bn 650W
storage: 1tb m.2
case: thermaltake mid tower my friend gifted me
cooler: hyper 212 halo black

I just built this system. I didn't change anything in the bios other than changing the boot mode from uefi to uefi+legacy... everything just seems to work better that way for some reason.

anyways.... I just set up my msi afterburner and was testing out everything running battlefield 1 on 1440p medium settings.

It seems like my cpu usage is a bit high some of the cores run around 95%+ which sometimes is even higher than my gpu usage. I also run around 3400mhz i noticed. I get about 55 degree temps.

I was wondering if my cpu was bottlenecking me. Should I adjust the bios settings and try to overclock it? I've never overclocked anything before and I'm not really sure.

I get 60 frames sometimes at 1440p medium settings..Was wondering if cpu overclock would help at all with that

usually im over 100+ frames and it seems to run great but idk if its normal for a couple cpu cores to run at 95% and if that would cause frame problems
No, it's not unusual for some cores to have higher load, something has to run background OS processes which are usually single threaded. As long as there are enough cores to run a game, it should not affect FPS.

If your CPU cores run at 3.4Ghz then that's why they run at such high usage.
Battlefiled allows you to adjust the amount of worker threads from the ini files
I would try reducing the amount of threads so that the rest of the cores can run faster.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2896997984

Or you could adjust your bios to always have all your cores run at full speed but that would increase power draw quite a bit

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
My first question is this causing a bottleneck at 1440p gaming.

My second question i'm still not sure about is if i do overclock it to ~5.5 mhz will I see any fps gains?

My third question am I even able to overclock to 5.5 mhz if I use a 650w psu... if not what about 4.5? or 4

My first question is this causing a bottleneck at 1440p gaming.

My second question i'm still not sure about is if i do overclock it to ~5.5 mhz will I see any fps gains?

My third question am I even able to overclock to 5.5 mhz if I use a 650w psu... if not what about 4.5? or 4
OC to 5,5 under a Hyper 212 cooler? No way, that cooler isn't even sufficient @standard boost clock. But why do you want to OC the CPU when it runs 4,9 out of the box? If the cpu runs at 3,4 there's smt wrong with the settings in the BIOS of the motherboard.

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
Its definitely set to 3.4 in the bios it all seems to be set to auto mode... should i change this to 4.9 manually?

or wait until i get a new cooler then do it

Im not good at this sort of thing

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
I read the base frequency for my processor is 3.7 ghz and can boost up to 4.9 for the P cores. The effeciency cores can boost up to 3.6 ghz

idk maybe everything is ok as is

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
I just enabled xmp see if that helps at all i also have another 16 gigs of ddr4 i havent tried installing yet dont think i really need it yet

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
I average ~100 frames on 1440p ultra in bf1..... seems like im probably ok for now... idk if that xmp boost helped or not seems like it gave me some extra frames

im sitting at a pretty constant 120 frames on 1440p ultra right now.... max settings i could go is 1440p 120hz in the option menu

almost seems like it was a memory bottleneck and turning on xmp really seemed to help..... ill keep you posted

Last edited:

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
yeah.... seems like after enabling xmp my computer runs amazing. Im sitting at a steady 120 frames at 1440p ultra.... before i had to turn down settings to medium and still felt a bit slugish.

(max settings in bf1 is 1440p 120hz)

tysm.......thats crazy one little bios change made that big of a difference.... the game runs flawless now its amazing.......

my gpu still seems to barely go over 85% usage.... my cpu usage seems higher, 3 of my p cores seem to hover around 88% usually and ive seen them at 95%+ the other cores seem to be just chilling tho so idk ... the cpu clock speed usually sits around 3300-3600

so idk.... it runs flawless now that i enabled xmp but still not sure about that cpu usage its def ok for now but not sure if it will be a bottleneck down the line

should i update bios so i can use ddr5? like dang i didnt know memory tweaks could make that big of a difference i thought my memory was ok

It's common knowledge, if a bios update gets interrupted due to power failure, or any reason at all, it can brick your system unless it has some way to do a blind update or if the mobo has a fallback (second) bios.
The chance I get hit by a car is bigger so no, it's not that risky or the power system in your house/region is very unstable but in that case you better invest in an UPS.

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
my motherboard is supposed to support ddr5 memory.. pcie 5.0 and 14th gen processors

also battlefield runs great now .. and I have tried other games and had problems before I enabled xmp

now the problem is trying to find a good game to play... seems like all the 2k pc games are trash the servers seem terrible full of bugs.. they dont optimize the pc version at all

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
I just updated my bios..... not sure if its going to help anything really...

I run bf1 well now but still struggle a bit with bf5 i get weird frames... and fortnite I have to turn down to high settings to get 90+ frames but i guess thats pretty normal for my gpu i guess.

I also realized theres a msi pro z790-a wifi and a msi pro z790-a wifi ddr4.......... turns out i have the ddr4 version what a scam......................................

o and my motherboard kept pestering me about switching the ram sticks to slot a2 and b2 for better optimization... not sure if thats really going to help much... and yeah the other two sticks I have are ddr4-3200 but from a different manufacturer... kinda why i havent bothered trying to installthem yet... my memory still runs at like 10gb so I dont really need more ram yet

hopefully everything I did helps

I could get a better cooler / psu and overclock my cpu... not sure if it will give me anymore frames right now though

about to go test out bf5 some more.... sadly msi afterburner doesnt work in bf5 cant load on screen display

Last edited:

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
just tested out bf5 after changing my ram to a2 b2 slots and updating my bios.......

my frames are through the roof now even on ultra settings bf5.....

going to continue testing XD ill keep you posted

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
absolutely smashing people ... right now my pc is running bf5 like a dream come true..... ill keep you posted if anything changes

for now though my computer is running a million miles an hour nobody can keep up with it and im crushing everyone

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
yeah im going to go ahead and confirm it..... my pc ran like doo doo until I updated my bios / transfered my ram to a2 b2..... not sure which one it really was but every game runs a lot better now... battlefield 5 seems amazing with my current setup now.... it seems next gen compared to bf1

Im pretty sure updating my bios changed my processors auto settings.. and a lot of other processor code bs.... I figured it was something to do with my processor bottlenecking me...i know the feeling all too well and the red flags from playing my old pc... but who knows.. it seems to work now and im tired of worrying about it anymore.
also msi afterburner doesnt show cpu clock speed in monitoring anymore for some reason >.< so cant really check my new cpu clock speeds in game and dont care enough to find a solution at this point

it runs great now though 1440p ultra settings 100+ frames all games... no weird frame lag just perfect frames

that one minute it took to flash my mobo was super scary tho ngl I didn't move I was so scared

it runs like a dream come true now.... never give up on your dreams

ty all....

Last edited: