Review AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D Review: A Value Gaming Masterpiece

The R7-5700X3D is TOTALLY what AM4 gamers should upgrade to before changing platforms. The only reason that I have an R7-5800X3D is that, when I bought it, it was on sale for $100CAD off and the R7-5700X3D didn't yet exist.

The weird thing about AM4 is that, while it was released in 2016, the first AM4 motherboards weren't released until February of 2017. So technically, it's almost 8 years old but functionally, it just turned 7 last month.

I guess that it took about five months for the AIBs to get the motherboards made.

Last edited:

parkerthon

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
The R7-5700X3D is TOTALLY what AM4 gamers should upgrade to before changing platforms. The only reason that I have an R7-5800X3D is that, when I bought it, it was on sale for $100CAD off and the R7-5700X3D didn't yet exist.

The weird thing about AM4 is that, while it was released in 2016, the first AM4 motherboards weren't released until February of 2017. So technically, it's almost 8 years old but functionally, it just turned 7 last month.
I just am amazed we’re at this point that builds can make it so many years for a gaming PC. Things have definitely changed in the last decade. It’s nice to be able to build something that has legs for 5+ years. Then swap a gpu, maybe add new ssd or more memory, and get three more.

I just am amazed we’re at this point that builds can make it so many years for a gaming PC. Things have definitely changed in the last decade. It’s nice to be able to build something that has legs for 5+ years. Then swap a gpu, maybe add new ssd or more memory, and get three more.
It's because hardware development has outpaced software development for some time now. There's also the fact that some of the most popular games in the world are also some of the least hardware-intensive.

You could probably still play games like WoW, LoL, Overwatch, CS:GO and Apex Legends with an old i7-2600K or FX-8350 CPU coupled with an old R9 Fury or GTX 980.

strobolt

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
The Core i5-14400 comes with a 'free' bundled cooler, but we advise purchasing a ~$25 tower air cooler instead of using the stock cooler.
This came up also in the 14400 review thread but went a bit unanswered so I'm asking again: why is it advised to get an aftermarket cooler?

Would be interesting to see some real world data on this in addition to the "this is the generally accepted point-of-view". To me it's not even about the cost (which is trivial anyway) but the fact that you're just throwing away a perfectly fine cooler "just because". At least I've not seen any test setup where the 14400 would've throttled with stock cooler. Also I doubt the overall noise level is that much higher either when considering that you're also running a GPU with that.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
This came up also in the 14400 review thread but went a bit unanswered so I'm asking again: why is it advised to get an aftermarket cooler?

Would be interesting to see some real world data on this in addition to the "this is the generally accepted point-of-view". To me it's not even about the cost (which is trivial anyway) but the fact that you're just throwing away a perfectly fine cooler "just because". At least I've not seen any test setup where the 14400 would've throttled with stock cooler. Also I doubt the overall noise level is that much higher either when considering that you're also running a GPU with that.
Agreed. An aftermarket cooler is superior for sure, but also unneccessary.

That said, AMD's stock coolers have improved in recent years. Intel not so much. It's good enough i guess.
For any more powerfull intel, it would be better to use an aftermarket cooler, K or not. For fan noise if nothing else.
Noise may be irrelevant when GPU fans kick in, but not when they're stopped and the CPU is working hard on something non gaming related.

But there is a hidden penalty to tower air coolers. If your PC case is going to be moved, or bounced around in a car, you have to take off the cooler or risk damaging the motherboard. With intel stock cooler, there is no chance of damage.

14400 may benefit slightly from a better cooler but not much.

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023

Stock intel coolers are not "perfectly fine". They are loud and no amount of fan tuning helps quiet them down.
If you spend $25ish for a cheap tower heatsink the system will run quieter and cooler.

It's actually been a bit of a mystery to me why Intel insists on using those obnoxiously loud fans for over a decade.

strobolt

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Stock intel coolers are not "perfectly fine". They are loud and no amount of fan tuning helps quiet them down.
If you spend $25ish for a cheap tower heatsink the system will run quieter and cooler.

It's actually been a bit of a mystery to me why Intel insists on using those obnoxiously loud fans for over a decade.
I'm not arguing that the aftermarket coolers wouldn't be quieter or cooler. I'm just wondering why there's no quantitative evidence to back that claim.

But I personally have maybe a bit extreme scenario setup with a 12100 and two fan 5700xt as I've never been able to hear the CPU fan over the GPU but that's likely due to the GPU being so loud and CPU not running at 100 % typically when gaming. Probably if I had a three fan 4070 it would be the opposite scenario.

But yeah, I understand it's probably not that interesting for most to spend time on something as low end as stock cooler vs. budget tower cooler.

Reactions: NinoPino

Well, I've been building PCs since 1988 and I can tell you that it's not MY "generally accepted point-of-view" because I use stock coolers. I used an AM2+ cooler for my Phenom II X4 940 and then my FX-8350. When I got my R7-1700, I used the enclosed Wraith Spire RGB and re-used it when I got my R6-3600X. It came with a Wraith Spire non-RGB and I like RGB so I kept using my original Spire. My stepfather received a Wraith Prism with his R9-3900X but he HATES RGB so he was happy to trade it to me for my R5-3600X's non-RGB Wraith Spire. Strangely, the R5-3600X has a greater TDP (101W) than the R9-3900X (65W) so the standard Wraith Spire has worked fine for him for about 1.5 years. For the same amount of time, I've been enjoying the Wraith Prism on my R7-5800X3D.

I didn't change to the Wraith Prism because the Wraith Spire RGB was insufficient, I changed because, to me, the Wraith Prism is the most beautiful CPU air cooler ever made (despite the fact that it cost me literally nothing). For 90%+ of people, an included box cooler will be more than enough for their needs and purposes which is why I tend to recommend the R7-7700 to most people as it's a great AM5 CPU and it comes with a Wraith Prism while the R5-7600 only comes with a Wraith Stealth. While the Stealth is perfectly fine with Ryzen 5 CPUs it might get a little loud and uncomfortable with CPUs that are higher up on the chain while the Prism will have no problems at all. It also doesn't hurt that the Prism is gorgeous and the Stealth is pretty bland-looking. If you've never looked at a Wraith Prism, check this out:
amd_ryzen_wraith_prism_rgb_cpu_1594205505_462b04f8.jpg

Pick any colour combination that you want, they all look amazing! Not bad for free, eh? ;)(y)

Reactions: King_V and strobolt

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015
I'm not arguing that the aftermarket coolers wouldn't be quieter or cooler. I'm just wondering why there's no quantitative evidence to back that claim.

But I personally have maybe a bit extreme scenario setup with a 12100 and two fan 5700xt as I've never been able to hear the CPU fan over the GPU but that's likely due to the GPU being so loud and CPU not running at 100 % typically when gaming. Probably if I had a three fan 4070 it would be the opposite scenario.

But yeah, I understand it's probably not that interesting for most to spend time on something as low end as stock cooler vs. budget tower cooler.
We've done testing in the past that has shown throttling with Intel stock coolers. The current gen is literally right below that point, but that is with the fan at 100% constantly and in optimal airflow/ambient temp conditions. Add in a hot environment (above 75F) and/or a case with bad airflow, and you'll absolutely have an issue with performance. I don't want to make a blanket statement that the stock cooler is great in all situations, as it is not. Sufficient for ideal conditions, sure. Top performance? Not in all conditions, of course. Loud? Always. Instead, I recommend that you get a cheap tower cooler where a quieter fan that runs at like 30 or 40% most of the time

May 6, 2024

There are cooler benchmarks out there. Here's one from caselabs:
https://www.caselabs.org/coolers/axp90-x53

Reactions: strobolt

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
Loud? Always.
This is also a blanket statement. If you said they get buzzy under even moderate loads, that'd be closer to the truth.

I know you test stuff, but do you ever just run it? Most of the time a home PC will idle or do very little.
Trying to be fair here, it's true that a heavy webpage with a billion scripts not blocked can spin up a stock intel cooler to audible levels. To me it's worth paying for extra silence or extra cooling.

Is a tower cooler neccessary though? For every intel? Advising a cheap tower cooler is not much of a recommendation either.
Recommend something for silent performance. And something for keeping temperatures down when gaming. It's kinda lazy to say any old rubbish will do, because an intel cooler very much fits that description itself. It will do.

Except when being tested with a 4090 running Cities Skylines at 4K. :sneaky:

May 6, 2024
The ability to extend the life of a system by these x3D chips rivals the AM5x86.
Good point! After upgrading my 486DX2-66 @ 80MHz to the DX4-100 @ 120Hz I thought I was stuck buying an expensive earlier Pentium release (which weren't really worth it until the later MMX series, paired with RAM faster than the old FPM type). I was able to upgrade to an AMD Am5x86-P75 (X5-133 ADZ) and ran it at 160MHz with a nice little HSF unit. Pushed my upgrade path to the Pentium 200 MMX until I could afford a decent 430HX-based system with EDO RAM (great system, especially after overclocking to 250MHz and adding a Voodoo1 card).

Built my kid a system based on the 5600X3D late last year (CPU + Asus B550 motherboard + 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM for $300 @ MicroCenter).

Last edited:
If you are going with a X3D chip you will run into "tpm attestation not supported"

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/ryzen-7-5800x3d-tpm-attestation-not-supported/m-p/573808

Which I did when going from a 5800X to 5800X3D.

I went with a HW TPM to get around it.
May run into. Like the individuals in the thread I switched from a 5600X to a 5800X3D and even around the same time period, I had no issue whatsoever. Then again I followed protocol and disabled fTPM and Secure Boot before swapping the CPU. The real issue is that protocol is not well known, and it seems niether AMD nor MS fully understand how to resolve the issue once it's occured, only how to avoid it in the first place.

Reactions: 35below0