RTX 4060 Ti vs RX 7700 XT faceoff: Which midrange graphics card is superior?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
tried it on a friends system using an amd card, thats why im confused.
edit: i asked him and he said he was using shaders. also why use minecraft rt on a gpu without eather using an upscaler or shader? i know this is a test but rtx cards come with dlss out of drivers.
So what you're actually saying is that he wasn't running the Bedrock version of Minecraft via the Microsoft Store, but instead was using the Java edition that does a completely different form of ray tracing approximations. Basically, Java edition plus shader RT stuff works differently and isn't directly comparable (in performance) to the DXR method used for Minecraft RTX.

As to why DLSS wasn't enabled, it's because the game was Nvidia promoted and only supports DLSS. Yes, that does provide an advantage to Nvidia RTX GPUs. I already get enough *^&$% about favoring Nvidia, though, and enabling DLSS in games where it's supported and FSR 2/3 isn't just opens the door wide to all sorts of abuse — just as only enabling FSR 2/3 where it's supported would open up the door to abuse.

Imagine a test suite that "randomly" chooses only games that support DLSS! Or a suite that only has AMD promoted games with FSR 2 or later. So, my decision is to only show upscaling performance for all GPUs if a game happens to support at least FSR 2/3 and DLSS 2 or later, and ideally it would also support XeSS 1.2 or later.

Because everything else can be quite garish looking. I've suggested in the past that if you REALLY care so much, please show me something better and let the forums sound off. I can change colors, but no one has actually said anything useful. (Hint: Red AMD and green Nvidia looks like Christmas vomit and we're not going to do that, not to mention red/green color blindness wouldn't do well with that either.)
I like the dark blue and black I can read it fine.

Reactions: Lucky_SLS

jordanbuilds1

Proper
Jan 16, 2024
So what you're actually saying is that he wasn't running the Bedrock version of Minecraft via the Microsoft Store, but instead was using the Java edition that does a completely different form of ray tracing approximations. Basically, Java edition plus shader RT stuff works differently and isn't directly comparable (in performance) to the DXR method used for Minecraft RTX.

As to why DLSS wasn't enabled, it's because the game was Nvidia promoted and only supports DLSS. Yes, that does provide an advantage to Nvidia RTX GPUs. I already get enough *^&$% about favoring Nvidia, though, and enabling DLSS in games where it's supported and FSR 2/3 isn't just opens the door wide to all sorts of abuse — just as only enabling FSR 2/3 where it's supported would open up the door to abuse.

Imagine a test suite that "randomly" chooses only games that support DLSS! Or a suite that only has AMD promoted games with FSR 2 or later. So, my decision is to only show upscaling performance for all GPUs if a game happens to support at least FSR 2/3 and DLSS 2 or later, and ideally it would also support XeSS 1.2 or later.
i remember bedrock and java merged but i get the point, i do kind of find the performance a little disappointing tho. (but ig i cant say much because ive been using geforce now and a 3060 laptop for my gaming needs for the past year.)

Mar 1, 2024
Because everything else can be quite garish looking. I've suggested in the past that if you REALLY care so much, please show me something better and let the forums sound off. I can change colors, but no one has actually said anything useful. (Hint: Red AMD and green Nvidia looks like Christmas vomit and we're not going to do that, not to mention red/green color blindness wouldn't do well with that either.)

Fair, how about blue and orange? Or Dark green and a light blue? Just some form of contrast is best. Hell, even white with a color border could work.

Fair, how about blue and orange? Or Dark green and a light blue? Just some form of contrast is best. Hell, even white with a color border could work.
And I would say that blue and gray already have enough contrast. My intent wasn't to have massive contrast, as it's pretty clear that the top line and bottom line on each game are always in the same order. The internet hyperbole factor is huge on stuff like this, acting like I've somehow gouged out people's eyes and ruined their lives by having colors that they don't absolutely love. It all just feels massively blown out of proportion.

Anyway, orange and blue. Now we have red and black from the TH logo, plus orange and blue. I was trying to minimize the number of different colors, just because I find it more aesthetically pleasing to do it that way. Three (counting black) versus four (or more). Also, red and orange clash now IMO. Does this look better? Do I need to lighten or darken anything? 🤷

1715266414036.png

Reactions: Flayed

jordanbuilds1

Proper
Jan 16, 2024
And I would say that blue and gray already have enough contrast. My intent wasn't to have massive contrast, as it's pretty clear that the top line and bottom line on each game are always in the same order. The internet hyperbole factor is huge on stuff like this, acting like I've somehow gouged out people's eyes and ruined their lives by having colors that they don't absolutely love. It all just feels massively blown out of proportion.

Anyway, orange and blue. Now we have red and black from the TH logo, plus orange and blue. I was trying to minimize the number of different colors, just because I find it more aesthetically pleasing to do it that way. Three (counting black) versus four (or more). Also, red and orange clash now IMO. Does this look better? Do I need to lighten or darken anything?
is it possible to test the java and bedrock versions if thats the case, because most people dont use the mc store for minecraft.

is it possible to test the java and bedrock versions if thats the case, because most people dont use the mc store for minecraft.
Nope. LOL

Okay, it's possible, but I'm not going to do it. Java Minecraft plus mods is just a big can of worms I don't particularly want to crack. The reality is that people who really care about Minecraft are probably going to play the Java edition and figure out what settings and mods they like best. The point of these GPU benchmarks on the other hand is to highlight performance differences, and Minecraft RTX gets included simply because it's a look at how full path tracing affects things even on a less demanding (graphically) game.