Question Did faulty PSU damage my motherboard?

May 8, 2024
Hi, here is my rig:

MBD: Asus Maximus Hero VIII
CPU: I7-6700 (temps around 29°C idle, 75°C max)
GPU: GTX 1070 Ti
RAM: 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Storage: 2 x SATA SSD (both fairly new)
PSU: Thermaltake Smart BM2 650W (new)

This rig was stable and working for about 5 years, recently however, PC started straight up turning off instantly in certain moments (at certain moments in games). After this would happen when i turn it on again i get Asus anti surge protection message. I ordered a new PSU but before it arrived i had another issue. My non windows SSD seemingly lost contact with mobo. I hoped SATA cable was at fault so I replaced it, however after doing so i couldnt boot Windows at all even though both SSDs were visible in BIOS.

I nuked both drives and installed fresh Windows. New Windows worked for a few hours when i got a BSOD. At this point i decided to just turn it off and wait for my new PSU.

After installing my new PSU the PC worked for 2 days flawlessly and it was a lot quieter than before. Three days in however i tried to install something to drive D: and was told the files were corrupted. I tried deleting the files and couldn't (no error message, just won't delete). Within 2 minutes of this happening i started having huge issues simply navigating Windows Explorer or Task Manager... I took this to mean the PC was now having issues communicating with drive C too... Big 20 sec freezes all the time, making the pc unusable, so much so that all i could do is turn it off via the power button.

I'm concerned that my motherboard is faulty because i find it hard to believe that 2 new SSDs decided to start dying at the same time.

Does this sound correct to you and what else could be causing this problem?

May 8, 2024
Looks like you have mixed RAM. I would remove the non-matched stick and then download and run memtest86. Allow all 4 passes to complete. Any more than zero issues is a problem.
Thank you for responding! I ran memtest86 with all 3 ram sticks and it completed without any errors, it took 2 hours and 10 min.
The reason i have 3 sticks is because one was defective ever since i bought them, and was causing the system to crash with a BSOD every half an hour or so. As i said in the post this rig ran perfectly with those 3 sticks for around 5 years so i really dont think its the RAMs fault.

Thank you for responding! I ran memtest86 with all 3 ram sticks and it completed without any errors, it took 2 hours and 10 min.
The reason i have 3 sticks is because one was defective ever since i bought them, and was causing the system to crash with a BSOD every half an hour or so. As i said in the post this rig ran perfectly with those 3 sticks for around 5 years so i really dont think its the RAMs fault.
That's good.

What is the health of your drives? Especially c:.

May 8, 2024
That's good.

Well i decided to reinstall windows again since it occured to me i didnt do that since the PSU change. The drives are both fairly new but if windows runs fine, first thing im gonna do is download some sort of app that can check their health.

May 8, 2024
That's good.

Ok i reinstalled windows again and it worked for about 10 minutes. Same problems again.. Its currently frozen and i get to click one thing every 5 minutes.
It was acting weird even before it started freezing, icons on my taskbar would randomly flicker similar as if i clicked refresh, or my mouse cursor would randomly change to a loading cursor for a split second. This never used to happen. I just don't believe its the drives...

May 8, 2024
I have now installed windows on an old HDD just to see if its a problem with SSDs, and im hour and a half in and system working fine. I used Seatools software to test both SSDs and the HDD and only the SSD that previously held windows has failed the test... It is clearly broken, and when i attempt to use its unresponsive. If i end up having the same issues with HDD and the other SSD am i right to assume that i have a motherboard issue?