News Intel issues revenue warning after US revokes Huawei export licenses — further efforts to restrict China's access to AI chips

Feb 1, 2024
I am so blessed and honored to have the US government and military save us patriots from the Chinese communist party businesses enabling some mid-level sales manager using a $700 Intel powered notebook to finish a spreadsheet. DEMOCRACY SAVED, TYRANNY AVERTED GOBLESSTHEUSA 🇺🇸🦅

Reactions: PEnns

NinoPino

Prominent
May 26, 2022
Maybe Intel is facing his worst moment in history. They are facing all of this :
- losses on fab division
- AMD soon will release Zen5
- overclockgate just exploded for his best CPUs
- continue to loose market share on datacenters
- delayed battlemage and successors and rumors of cancellation for discrete graphics cards
- his best process node not on par with competitors
- problems with funds for the new factory in Germany
- and now this

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
Maybe Intel is facing his worst moment in history. They are facing all of this :
- losses on fab division
- delayed battlemage and successors and rumors of cancellation for discrete graphics cards
- and now this
All of this is true, but Intel is getting billions from official sources and they recently acquired ASML's HighNA machinery. I anticipate a good Intel run starting later next year.

Nov 14, 2023
I am so blessed and honored to have the US government and military save us patriots from the Chinese communist party businesses enabling some mid-level sales manager using a $700 Intel powered notebook to finish a spreadsheet. DEMOCRACY SAVED, TYRANNY AVERTED GOBLESSTHEUSA 🇺🇸🦅
I get the sentiment but Huawei is not just a supplier of the CCP but is known to be almost entirely controlled by the PLA. Huawei is essentially a commercial arm of the Chinese military. Things work very different in China than they do in the west.

NinoPino

Prominent
May 26, 2022
I get the sentiment but Huawei is not just a supplier of the CCP but is known to be almost entirely controlled by the PLA. Huawei is essentially a commercial arm of the Chinese military. Things work very different in China than they do in the west.
And before the bans was also the biggest smartphone manufacturer in the world and the 5G equipment leader.

Nov 14, 2023
Meteor Lake CPUs don’t even meet Intel’s own definition of what an AI PC should be capable of. What’s the concern?
We're not allowed to talk politics on Tom's Hardware, but the United States is increasingly taking a position of military separation from China. As I pointed out above, Huawei is known to be a commercial entity of the PLA, therefor the United States doesn't want them to be using any American chips.

Li Ken-un

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
Huawei is known to be a commercial entity of the PLA, therefor the United States doesn't want them to be using any American chips.
I don’t know if that kind of policy hurts us more than it hurts them. The rewards are few and the risks are high.

We're not allowed to talk politics on Tom's Hardware
There are certainly more politics-friendly forums on other news sites you can poke around. And they’ll have readily available counterpoints that I won’t bother to repeat here. (Steer clear of the one beginning with the letter W; 😉 their comment threads are political without the intellectual.)

shawman123

Reputable
Aug 13, 2020
- losses on fab division
- and now this
Intel's problem is execution. News around Raptor Lake Refresh issues are irrelevant as desktop sales dont matter that much. Intel's issue is in DC. They are behind the 8th ball with ARM servers taking over DC and Nvidia being near monopoly in DC GPU which is taking most of cloud spend at this point.

NinoPino

Prominent
May 26, 2022
Intel's problem is execution. News around Raptor Lake Refresh issues are irrelevant as desktop sales dont matter that much.
True for financial but however a little brick in the wall and most importantly the desktop dominance in 80s 90s was what permitted to gain traction in datacenters once dominated by proprietary solutions. Desktop PCs and workstations are not only a market, but nowadays are also the way to show technical dominance.
Intel's issue is in DC. They are behind the 8th ball with ARM servers taking over DC and Nvidia being near monopoly in DC GPU which is taking most of cloud spend at this point.
Agree, sorry, I forgot to list also the ARM problem. 😀

Bad times.

dalek1234

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
All of this is true, but Intel is getting billions from official sources and they recently acquired ASML's HighNA machinery. I anticipate a good Intel run starting later next year.
According to MLID, the US Gov billions have been only 'promised'. No actual cheque has been written yet. Also, recent US Gov announcement "to give money to Samsung and TSMC for their factories in US" makes you wonder if the government has lost confidence in Intel, and as such, has suddenly decided to support Samsung and TSMC. And one of those 'promises' to Intel, has been retracted few months ago. Time will tell if Intel ever gets any of the promised $.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
The export licenses doesn't hurt Huawei anymore. Huawei uses intel laptop chips to power its matebooks and it is not their bread and butter. Huawei used to use qualcomm soc's for their matepads, but they can easily replace it with kirin soc's.