News Latest AMD Strix Point leak highlights monster 120W TDP and 64GB RAM limit

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
64GB RAM limit
LOL, even Wccftech got it right:

These manifestos also reveal the Maple DAP reference evaluation platform which comes in 32 GB and 64 GB memory capacities. Do note that these are not on-package memory modules like the one we'll see with Lunar Lake CPUs but rather on the reference platform themselves since they come with pre-soldered memory.

It's the amount they are shipping for reference platforms, not a limit.

Latest AMD Strix Point leak highlights monster 120W TDP and 64GB RAM limit

New TDP and memory specs back up Strix Point's monster specifications.
We still don't have much concrete data on Strix Point, but the power and memory specs revealed by this latest shipping manifest back up previous rumors about its daunting specifications. All signs point to Strix Point (no pun intended) being the most powerful mobile APU AMD ever to compete with ARM competition from Apple and Qualcomm.

Correct the Typo errors. The shipping manifest is talking about the Strix HALO APU lineup, and not Strix Point series.

The specs also reveal the chip's TDP and memory capacity, which are 120W and 64GB, respectively.

The extremely high 120W TDP (for a mobile chip) and 64GB of memory start to make sense when you consider the sky-high specs Strix Halo is rumored to be carrying.

At first glance, 64GB looks like too much memory, but Strix Halo won't be aimed purely at gamers

What memory are you talking about ? Those are NOT on-package memory modules. The shipping manifesto mentioned pertains to the "Maple DAP" reference evaluation platform which comes in 32 GB and 64 GB memory capacities.

Halo is not meant for gamers ? You must be joking ?

EDIT:

usertests has also pointed this out above !

Last edited:
This article is a total mess/blunder. Being rushed out ! I wouldn't bother my time now, pointing out more errors.

You also missed the point that shipping details confirm Strix Halo will support the FP11 platform as well. And why is the TDP rating so shocking ? It was known beforehand that Strix Halo lineup would be high TDP parts.

We can expect configurable/c TDPs between 55/70W, and with up to 130W. So there is nothing "monster" about this leak.

Last edited:

ivan_vy

Commendable
Apr 22, 2022
AMD killing AMD, a common story.

Would be nice for the consoles to become viable cheap x86 PCs running Windows or dare I say, Linux.
too much money in R&D and licenses, also any parent love the walled-garden they offer for children, the easy set-up and the 'just-woks' (most of the time) approach.
remember the linux other-OS PS3 affair? consoles never go back in there. Steam deck? I don't think is subsidized as other consoles.

Reactions: usertests
When micosoft able to run steam on console the market of amd will dry.
Valve is using AMD APUs for their steamdecks. They will keep doing it now even more with something like Halo.

Sony doesn`t seems to look for Nvidia and MS will probably not do consoles anymore or they will keep the same environment for developing games on Sony consoles...

So I don`t see any changes into the embeded business of AMD unlike what you are invoking.

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
But will it beat the Apple M4 and Qualcomm whatsit is the real question.
It will at AI and gaming.
M4: 38 TOPS, A really good GPU for a tablet that doesn't run anything other than iOS.
X Elite: 45 TOPS, Ryzen 6800U (Radeon 680M) level GPU (not quite Z1 Extreme levels).
Strix Halo: around 60 TOPS, PS5 level GPU

Probably not at low power usage and battery life.

Reactions: NinoPino

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
We can expect configurable/c TDPs between 55/70W, and with up to 130W. So there is nothing "monster" about this leak.
We've seen rumors of variants like 8C / 40 CU / 256-bit, and 6-8C / 20 CU / 128-bit.

Because of that, I wouldn't be surprised if a version of Strix Halo could be configured "extremely" low, for example 28W, good enough to be superior to Strix Point handhelds running at a similar TDP. Even if the memory bus is 128-bit, it could have +4 CUs, larger L3 cache, and Infinity Cache.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
AMD killing AMD, a common story.

Would be nice for the consoles to become viable cheap x86 PCs running Windows or dare I say, Linux.
Hardware wise they are! (well at least Xbox and PS). Sadly, they are just limited to what Sony and MS allow to be installed on them.

Given the commission story MS/Sony/Nintendo generate from these consoles I don't think anything short of gov intervention or user uprising that results in lose of dollars is going to change that.

TechyIT223

Proper
Jun 30, 2023
This article is a total mess/blunder. Being rushed out ! I wouldn't bother my time now, pointing out more errors.

You also missed the point that shipping details confirm Strix Halo will support the FP11 platform as well. And why is the TDP rating so shocking ? It was known beforehand that Strix Halo lineup would be high TDP parts.

Interesting. I would like to see some lower TDP models as well.

We've seen rumors of variants like 8C / 40 CU / 256-bit, and 6-8C / 20 CU / 128-bit.

Because of that, I wouldn't be surprised if a version of Strix Halo could be configured "extremely" low, for example 28W, good enough to be superior to Strix Point handhelds running at a similar TDP. Even if the memory bus is 128-bit, it could have +4 CUs, larger L3 cache, and Infinity Cache.

Not sure about 'Halo' being used in gaming handhelds, because we also have "Sonoma Valley" APU SoC planned in the pipeline.

But they might use Strix Halo as well since we are just speculating at this point. The extra cache will definitely help in any case.

Btw, rumors have already pointed out that AMD's next-gen Zen 6 client CPU/APU lineup, codenamed "Medusa", would be utilizing a brand new interconnect based around a 2.5D chiplet design, improving the bandwidth even further.

With Zen 6 "Morpheus" core architecture, while the graphics side should feature the RDNA 5 integrated GPU architecture, or whatever AMD might call it. Next-gen console APUs from MS and Sony PS6 might sport these new RDNA 5 cores, but this is just a pipe dream for now.

Last edited:

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
Not sure about 'Halo' being used in gaming handhelds, because we also have "Sonoma Valley" APU SoC planned in the pipeline.
I expect Sonoma Valley to drop into the FT6 socket used by Mendocino. If it's 2-4 CUs of RDNA3+ or something, it won't be too impressive or used in a Steam Deck but will be great for battery life.

Kra(c)ken Point seems like a good choice for handhelds. 1 CCX, 8 cores, 8 CUs, etc.

You'd think Strix Halo shouldn't be used in a handheld, but it's not so crazy when you see something like the ASUS ROG Ally drawing as much as 54 Watts in "turbo" mode with a Phoenix chip. You should have the thing plugged in for that to make sense, otherwise enjoy the 45 minute gaming session.

Btw, rumors have already pointed out that AMD's next-gen Zen 6 client CPU/APU lineup, codenamed "Medusa", would be utilizing a brand new interconnect based around a 2.5D chiplet design, improving the bandwidth even further.
I think this guy has got Zen 6 figured out. It's sounding like Zen 6 will be a clean break from the Zen 2 approach that has been used for 4 generations:

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Jan 14, 2024
Everything I’ve seen says it’s l5x-8000, rather than 8533

Yes, that's true. The article just "made up" that claim, and it's not correct to begin with. Take it with a grain of salt. The final LP5X speed will depend on the end and final silicon, and it will indeed vary.

Nothing is "official" yet though.

There are even more assumptions/errors posted in the article (as pointed before), that I wouldn't waste time pointing it out, if Tom's HW themselves are least bothered to proof-read/check their own articles before publishing.

Last edited:

The problem with that is price, halo will be very expensive, or AMD will make huge losses on it, and it doesn't make sense for any console/handheld maker to spend a lot of money on an APU and then only use it to a small degree due to low power.
I'm sure there will be some high end stuff with it, but those will be small numbers due to the high cost.
Hardware wise they are! (well at least Xbox and PS). Sadly, they are just limited to what Sony and MS allow to be installed on them.

Given the commission story MS/Sony/Nintendo generate from these consoles I don't think anything short of gov intervention or user uprising that results in lose of dollars is going to change that.
Xbox has the dev mode free for anybody, well free as in $20 I think, that's how you can play almost any emulator on the xbox because it allows windows store apps as well as webbrowser based software.
If steam would pull an geforce now trick allowing you to play any game you own on steam through web then we would already be there.
I don't know if ms, sony, and nintendo would have enough pull to force valve into shutting that down or not starting it in the first place.

Pierce2623

Upstanding
Dec 3, 2023
The problem with that is price, halo will be very expensive, or AMD will make huge losses on it, and it doesn't make sense for any console/handheld maker to spend a lot of money on an APU and then only use it to a small degree due to low power.
I'm sure there will be some high end stuff with it, but those will be small numbers due to the high cost.

Xbox has the dev mode free for anybody, well free as in $20 I think, that's how you can play almost any emulator on the xbox because it allows windows store apps as well as webbrowser based software.
If steam would pull an geforce now trick allowing you to play any game you own on steam through web then we would already be there.
I don't know if ms, sony, and nintendo would have enough pull to force valve into shutting that down or not starting it in the first place.
Well first of all, nobody could prevent Valve from setting up a cloud gaming service, but it’s not likely as it would present a complete shift in business model. As far as Strix Halo, I think you’re overblowing the cost. 40 CU and 16 cores should fit into 400mm^2 fairly easily on TSMC 4nm. 8 full zen4 cores and 12CU of rdna3 is only like 175mm^2 and Strix Halo will have at least half its CPU cores as Zen5c.

Last edited:

Pierce2623

Upstanding
Dec 3, 2023
looking at what Micron offers for LPDDR5X, 128GB might be the limit.
let's see if Framework makes a laptop with this and 2xLPCAMM2
Laptops generally have hard limit on RAM set in the bios just like motherboards have a hard limit of what is considered “supported”.