Question EMMC memory can't save any changes and I can't load new Windows 10 install from new SSD ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 8, 2024
Seems like the BCD is corrupt despite the fact that it should have just been freshly created. What is the output of the command bcdedit? Can also try bootrec /rebuildbcd while in the root of the ESP.
Bcedit doesn't work at all, like this command doesn't exist. Rebuildbcd works and it detects two Win10, but after confirming adding Windows from SSD and and refusing to add old Win10, it says " The requested system device cannot be identified due to multiple indistiguishable devices potentially matching the identification criteria."

May 7, 2024
It sounds like you might have both the ESP from eMMC and the one from your SSD mounted? I'm not sure otherwise how that could be happening. Also, it should be bcdedit and not bcedit unless that was just a typo. Maybe we could also retry bcdboot <Windows volume letter>:\Windows /s <ESP volume letter>:.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024
It sounds like you might have both the ESP from eMMC and the one from your SSD mounted? I'm not sure otherwise how that could be happening. Also, it should be bcdedit and not bcedit unless that was just a typo.
Sorry, it was a typo. It gives two lines of errors - first is "The boot configuration data store could not be opened." and the second one is the same error about multiple devices.

I tried to turn EMMC disk offline and use rebuildbcd and if this disk is offline, I get another error - "The system cannot find the file specified". So I guess it keeps using file in EMMC which can't be changed. How I can make windows use new file?

May 7, 2024
So like I said it seems like <ESP>\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD is either corrupted or wasn't generated in the first place. You can double check that there's nothing in there.

Ensure that nothing from eMMC is mounted. From your SSD, mount the primary Windows partition as C: and the EFI partition as E:. Then, run the following commands:
Code:
ren E:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD BCD.bak
bcdboot C:\Windows /s E: /f UEFI

Reactions: Kiboune
May 8, 2024
So like I said it seems like <ESP>\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD is either corrupted or wasn't generated in the first place. You can double check that there's nothing in there.

Ensure that nothing from eMMC is mounted. From your SSD, mount the primary Windows partition as C: and the EFI partition as E:. Then, run the following commands:
Code:
ren E:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD BCD.bak
bcdboot C:\Windows /s E: /f UEFI
After commands it said "files created successfully". Can I doublecheck somehow?

May 7, 2024
You can try running bcdedit again, it should now show you the Windows Boot Manager and Windows Boot Loader entries. You can also check to see that there are now files in E:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD.

May 7, 2024
Right, it should just be a file and not a folder, that’s my mistake. I just remembered, I think bcdedit actually crawls through any ESPs it finds for whatever reason, so I think you might need to do bcdedit /store E:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD to specify which one you want. Is Windows bootable?

May 8, 2024
Right, it should just be a file and not a folder, that’s my mistake. I just remembered, I think bcdedit actually crawls through any ESPs it finds for whatever reason, so I think you might need to do bcdedit /store E:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD to specify which one you want. Is Windows bootable?
Specified command worked! But Windows still gives me "Windows Could Not Complete the Installation" and suggests to restart installation

I decided to try to reinstall Windows and it givew me warning "

The partitions on the disk selected for Installation are not in the recommended order "​

And installation failed. It gave error "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation"

Last edited:
May 8, 2024
Big thanks to you for your help from me and my mom (it's her notebook). Somehow after installations errors Windows 10 launched! Restared it to check if it wasn't one time deal and still works

Reactions: CodeConnoisseur
May 8, 2024
After few days EMMC memory died completely and now Win10 in infinite loading. Checked bcedit and everything looks fine, but rebuildbcd can't find any Win10

May 8, 2024
I thought you said that you were able to install it on the SSD. The eMMC dying shouldn't affect anything.
I thought so too! It is on new SSD and everything is intact. I checked in diskpart, and SSD is ok. It also shows in BIOS. And EMMC disappeared completely in BIOS and diskpart. But for some reason, this somehow affected Win10 on SSD. It's super weird. EFI partition is fine and regedit opens it without problem and it looks fine. I currently try to reset Win10 with it's own tool, but I think I'm gonna need to reinstall everything again. Maybe this time, with EMMC out of picture, nothing will cause problems with EFI

May 7, 2024
I thought so too! It is on new SSD and everything is intact. I checked in diskpart, and SSD is ok. It also shows in BIOS. And EMMC disappeared completely in BIOS and diskpart. But for some reason, this somehow affected Win10 on SSD. It's super weird. EFI partition is fine and regedit opens it without problem and it looks fine. I currently try to reset Win10 with it's own tool, but I think I'm gonna need to reinstall everything again. Maybe this time, with EMMC out of picture, nothing will cause problems with EFI
You can try another reinstall, yeah. But if the EFI binary is there it should at least be showing up in your BIOS.

May 8, 2024
You can try another reinstall, yeah. But if the EFI binary is there it should at least be showing up in your BIOS.
Oh yeah, it shows and EMMC EFI is gone, but Win10 can't load for some reason. Reset just finished and didn't help, so I guess I'm gonna try to reinstall again.

Can't understand how eMMC death could've affected SSD...

May 7, 2024
Oh yeah, it shows and EMMC EFI is gone, but Win10 can't load for some reason. Reset just finished and didn't help, so I guess I'm gonna try to reinstall again.

Can't understand how eMMC death could've affected SSD...
Me neither, unless there is some underlying motherboard fault that killed the eMMC in the first place and is also affecting other components. You noted that you were having difficulty with the Windows installer and it took a few tries, which isn't normal.

May 8, 2024
Me neither, unless there is some underlying motherboard fault that killed the eMMC in the first place and is also affecting other components. You noted that you were having difficulty with the Windows installer and it took a few tries, which isn't normal.
I hope it's not something like this... I think maybe eMMC death affected some order of volumes/partitions

May 7, 2024
I hope it's not something like this... I think maybe eMMC death affected some order of volumes/partitions
Oh, that would probably make more sense considering it would have been there when Windows was installed then suddenly vanished. I don't know how Windows does volume numbers.

May 8, 2024
Oh, that would probably make more sense considering it would have been there when Windows was installed then suddenly vanished. I don't know how Windows does volume numbers.
Something way worse happened... Because for some reason, it can't even boot flash drive with Windows installer. It's just stuck in infinite loading, just like with Win10

I also tried chkdsk and it didn't find any problems

Cleaned disk, nothing changed. Tried different flash drive with bootable Win10 and it also stuck in infinite loading

Last edited:
May 8, 2024
So somehow I managed to launch from live usb with win11, and from it I installed Win10. No problem with installation, but I still get infinite loading and /rebuildbcd doesn't see any windows installations. I don't understand what is going on...

EasyUEFI says everything is normal
https://i.postimg.cc/zqj2nKc3/IMG20240513124053.jpg
IMG20240513124053.jpg

Last edited:
May 7, 2024
I'm starting to think that there might be deeper issues here. You're saying that you had a fresh disk with a new Windows installer image from Microsoft and it was stuck infinitely loading when you boot from it? What do you mean by "infinite loading"?

May 8, 2024
I'm starting to think that there might be deeper issues here. You're saying that you had a fresh disk with a new Windows installer image from Microsoft and it was stuck infinitely loading when you boot from it? What do you mean by "infinite loading"?
Dots spinning under Acer logo and nothing happens. But it's even weirder - live USB I made ,has Win10 and Win11, and if I try to launch Win10, it's same infinite loading. Win11 loads just fine, so I'm currently making bootable USB with Win11 iso

May 7, 2024
Dots spinning under Acer logo and nothing happens. But it's even weirder - live USB I made ,has Win10 and Win11, and if I try to launch Win10, it's same infinite loading. Win11 loads just fine, so I'm currently making bootable USB with Win11 iso
Dots spinning means that the Windows bootloader is active, so it successfully loaded the EFI binary (so probably not a BIOS issue) but likely having some issue on startup. Making a fresh install disk is a good idea, assuming that the computer meets the requirements for Windows 11. I'm not sure where you sourced your dual Windows 10 and Windows 11 drive from.

May 8, 2024
Dots spinning means that the Windows bootloader is active, so it successfully loaded the EFI binary (so probably not a BIOS issue) but likely having some issue on startup. Making a fresh install disk is a good idea, assuming that the computer meets the requirements for Windows 11. I'm not sure where you sourced your dual Windows 10 and Windows 11 drive from.
Eh, just googled website of some guy who makes them for a long time. Works great, lots of software.

I just finished Win11 installation and it works, but I completely forgot about requirements... probably would work terrible. But it works! Unlike Win10. And I don't understand why.

May 7, 2024
Eh, just googled website of some guy who makes them for a long time. Works great, lots of software.

I just finished Win11 installation and it works, but I completely forgot about requirements... probably would work terrible. But it works! Unlike Win10. And I don't understand why.
I wouldn't recommend getting Windows images from anyone except Microsoft, and a fresh install disk is always a good idea. There's no telling as to their integrity, security, etc., especially if you were having issues. Good to hear that it's working now though, "requirements" probably won't cause any issues (they're more so "recommendations").