Question best way to learn to solder

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
i really didnt know where to post this, please move if wrong section and i apologies.

ok guys, the time has finally come. i really want to learn how to solder and i will be getting this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soldering-...89&mcid=929d9b4facd638adb8fefebe679729b4&th=1

i dont think there is any flux in this packaging so if anyone has any recommedaton on flux, please let me know 🙂
also what is the best videos to watch? i know there are tons of videos but any for beginners please?

many thanks for the help guys 🙂

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
many thanks for the reply, i did not know there was a flux in the packaging, that saves me finding one, cheers :)
also is there something i can use to get rid of the fumes?

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
sorry i was thinking maybe a special fan that sucks the fumes and blows out clean air? air purifier maybe?
where il be working there is no window, i did think of a fan but thinking it might distract me.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
i really didnt know where to post this, please move if wrong section and i apologies.

ok guys, the time has finally come. i really want to learn how to solder and i will be getting this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soldering-...89&mcid=929d9b4facd638adb8fefebe679729b4&th=1

i dont think there is any flux in this packaging so if anyone has any recommedaton on flux, please let me know 🙂
also what is the best videos to watch? i know there are tons of videos but any for beginners please?

Don't worry about flux yet. Start by trying to solder two wires together. Soldering skills takes a lot of practice. Start out simple and work your way up. It won't happen overnight.

Reactions: froggy8 and COLGeek

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
ok found my old iron.
went into a brick wall as the saying goes.

the solder would not stay on the tip of the iron, so had to put bit of a blob onto the points instead, even that proven difficult, put my wire to the point and tried to heat the wire to melt the solder under it, couldnt do it. so i changed my tip and the solder stayed on the tip this time so put the wire to the point and just added more solder on top.

i know its a mess but eveything works, just need more priactice 🙂

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
ok found my old iron.
went into a brick wall as the saying goes.

the solder would not stay on the tip of the iron, so had to put bit of a blob onto the points instead, even that proven difficult, put my wire to the point and tried to heat the wire to melt the solder under it, couldnt do it. so i changed my tip and the solder stayed on the tip this time so put the wire to the point and just added more solder on top.

i know its a mess but eveything works, just need more priactice 🙂

Your soldering job has cold solder joints. You need a lot of practice using a soldering station not a clunky iron on such work. You can adjust the temp with good reason. Please practice on something that doesn't cost $$$.

Reactions: froggy8
use more heat and flux/rosin
1st flux, then solder
if the tip of the iron doesn´t get the tin alloy to melt, it´s either not clean enough or just too old and wasted or not hot enough
to clean it, heat it up to max. temp. and use water with a sponge.
some irons can take up to 5minutes or even 10 to get to the correct temperature

the needed heat is also depending on your solder alloy,
for lead-based solder about 316°- 343°C (Pb with Sn)
for lead free solder 343°- 371°C (Sn with something else)

if anyone has seen the pictures, please let me know what i ahve done wrong so i can be better next time.
As helpstar said and on top of that the xboxes have a very heat absorbing mainboard so you need a hot iron and still a lot of time to get any solder to melt and they are considered toys that have to be save for children so there is no led based solder allowed which makes it even harder.

If you are trying to make it work with a PC power supply you should not rely on those solder joints.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Looks like contaminated junk. Don't move while the solder is cooling. That's how you make cold solder joints. Clean the soldering tip with flux to clean things up. ...And use a soldering sponge or reasonable facsimile to aid with cleaning the tip.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
many thanks guys, i really like the critism :)

this is my list so far:

special brass wool
solder mat
some flux solders

i need help choosing a decent solder station if anyone could help me please

many thanks again guys :)

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
many thanks guys, i really like the critism :)

this is my list so far:

special brass wool
solder mat
some flux solders

i need help choosing a decent solder station if anyone could help me please

many thanks again guys :)
Old reliable: Weller WES51. Many tips available.
Soldering is an art form that takes a deft touch.

kanewolf

Titan
my first ever soldering :)
Your pictures show that you didn't have enough heat and enough added solder.
If I were learning again, I would start by just stripping two wires, putting them between holders and joining them. Then cut the joint out, strip again, and try again. You want smooth surface on the joint but not so much heat that the plastic coating on the wire melts. Then try holding one wire with a clip and manually holding the other plus solder plus the soldering iron.