Question Bluetooth keeps disappearing on Windows 8.1 and won't restart ?

Nov 16, 2023
Hi all,

I'm having issues with my bluetooth mouse on Windows 8.1. It started dropping out yesterday for an unknown reason. I searched extensively online / stack / forums for fixes, all to no avail.

- I've replaced the battery
- ran all manner of CMD / POWERSHELL commands to restart it
- restarted the computer
- restarted Bluetooth Support Service

When I restart the computer it works, but only briefly, before dropping out again. When I attempt to start the Service 'Bluetooth Driver Management Service' I get the following error dialog:

"The Bluetooth Driver Management Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs. "

I'd really prefer to avoid updating to Win 10 because I know that there are never quick fixes and that trying to run it on a 10+ year old laptop is probably going to yield a number of other issues.

Much obliged for any advice / pointers.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model Bluetooth mouse?

I think that this is the key:

""The Bluetooth Driver Management Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs. "

Take a look in Task Manager and then, more specifically, in Task Manager > Services

There are dependencies.

If you right click the Status column you can change the behavior of any given service. You can also click in other columns to obtain even more information.

Note that some columns have an upward or downward pointing > . That means that the column can be sorted by clicking the column header.

Look for any service etc. the mentions "Bluetooth", "mouse", or even the mouse manufacturer.

However do not make immediate changes and, if a change is made, make only one change at at time.

Be sure to research the service first to be sure that you understand what the service does.

Keep notes on any changes: Where the change was made along with the orginal setting and the new setting.

Just in case you need to undo a change.

Take your time and look carefully. It may just be a matter of getting some other service to start and remain running.