[SOLVED] Can I upgrade from an i5-7400 to an i7-7700 ?

Solution
One thing to ask. Depending on the price of the 7700, you might check to see what is the cost of a new board and cpu on amds am4 platform. If you can get it cheap enough you’d have a better upgrade path.

kanewolf

Titan
I got a PC that was a hand me down from a family member and I'm thinking of upgrading it's CPU from a Core I5-7400 to a Core I7-7700(non-k), Would I still need to update the BIOS for it to work even though they are from the same generation?

Motherboard: C.H110M-T PLUS V20 from Colorful

https://en.colorful.cn/en/home/Product?id=838&mid=84
Probably. The website you linked has a place for a list of supported CPUs, but not a list. So you have to guess.
A H110 motherboard would support a 7700.

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
I got a PC that was a hand me down from a family member and I'm thinking of upgrading it's CPU from a Core I5-7400 to a Core I7-7700(non-k), Would I still need to update the BIOS for it to work even though they are from the same generation?

Motherboard: C.H110M-T PLUS V20 from Colorful

https://en.colorful.cn/en/home/Product?id=838&mid=84
The BIOS update page and the CPU compatibility list pages are both not displaying anything, so we cant be exactly sure here.

Was the BIOS updated by you recently or at all?

You can of course try a 7700 to see if it does work. If it doesn't you'll have to find the BIOS update and update it.

PC Question

Reputable
Dec 26, 2020
The BIOS update page and the CPU compatibility list pages are both not displaying anything, so we cant be exactly sure here.

Was the BIOS updated by you recently or at all?

You can of course try a 7700 to see if it does work. If it doesn't you'll have to find the BIOS update and update it.
Nope, I have not updated it recently

PC Question

Reputable
Dec 26, 2020
Probably. The website you linked has a place for a list of supported CPUs, but not a list. So you have to guess.
A H110 motherboard would support a 770

A H110 motherboard would support a 7700.
It does say "Support's 6th and 7th gen CPUs" so Ill just have to take their word for it and hope it supports all the 7th gen CPUs including the 7700

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
"Support's 6th and 7th gen CPUs" doesn't necessarily mean out of the box.

It *probably* does, though. It's too bad the documentation is so poor, but generally speaking, if a motherboard was updated to work with Kaby Lake CPUs, it ought to work for the bunch; they were basically all released more or less together, not staggered, and there were no real odd late-released chips in that series, as far as I can remember.

PC Question

Reputable
Dec 26, 2020
"Support's 6th and 7th gen CPUs" doesn't necessarily mean out of the box.

It *probably* does, though. It's too bad the documentation is so poor, but generally speaking, if a motherboard was updated to work with Kaby Lake CPUs, it ought to work for the bunch; they were basically all released more or less together, not staggered, and there were no real odd late-released chips in that series, as far as I can remember.
I guess I'll just take my chances, since both were released on Jan. 2017

PC Question

Reputable
Dec 26, 2020
One thing to ask. Depending on the price of the 7700, you might check to see what is the cost of a new board and cpu on amds am4 platform. If you can get it cheap enough you’d have a better upgrade path.

Thanks for the advise ya'll - - ive settled on a better idea would be to save up a bit more money for an am4 mobo and just buy a ryzen r5 5600g or something else.