Question Enabling XMP causes RAM hardware errors ?

rprathin

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
I have assembled a new pc with these components just few days back
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PV9rgB

Mobo - Gigabyte B760M G AX (rev 1.0)
Processor - Core i5 14500
Ram - G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory
PSU - Cooler Master MWE White V2 230V 450 W

Today, while casually browsing the internet with eight tabs open in Google Chrome, my system abruptly crashed with a BSOD. Following this, I searched for the causes of the BSOD on Google and concluded that the XMP profile I today enabled might have been the culprit. To verify this, I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostics test, which revealed hardware errors after only reaching 3% completion. After disabling XMP, the errors disappeared. My bios is up to date with the latest version (F2E) dated April 2024. Sometimes, there's no display after adjusting certain settings in the BIOS, such as when I disabled XMP. Upon rebooting, there was no display, and the EZ Debug VGA LED was illuminated. However, pressing and holding the power button to restart the system resolved this issue, with everything functioning normally again.

Is this related to some bugs in bios which might get resolved with future updates.

Currently speed for the RAM is 4800mhz default which is working fine, will there be major noticeable difference with XMP enabled.

Thanks,
Rathin

rprathin

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
Increase DDR voltage to 1.35V.
Then gradually increase DDR frequency. Test after each increase.
i did what you suggested changed the timings, increased the frequency and increased the voltage after doing all this rerun the windows memory diagnostics and there were no hardware errors this time. Lets see if i get BSOD or not. To me everything looks good for now. Currently at 6000 Mhz with timing 36-36-36-96 & 1.35volts

Last edited: