Question External HDD doesn't open and doesn't show disk usage bar under the name of the drive ?

May 7, 2024
Pb4W43B.png

That's how it appears. Local Disk (D) is actually supposed to be "My Passport (D)". I'm using Windows 10 Pro, and the external HDD is a 4tb drive from WD called My Passport, possibly manufactured in 2018, or at least that's what the box says. And as you can see, there's no disk usage bar under it, unlike the other two.

Basically I've got 4tb of valuable data on the drive, and I was in the process of backing it up when it stopped working. I was only able to get around 300GB of the data, and the rest of it is still on there, without any backups. Here's what I've tried so far.
  1. I tried different cables. Didn't work.
  2. I tried connecting it to other computers. Same result.
  3. I tried connecting other external HDD's to the same port, with the same cable, always worked.
  4. I tried using chkdsk, doesn't happen at all. Then once I unplug, it says "drive not found" or something like that, but it doesn't respond till I unplug.
  5. I tried right-clicking and opening up properties, never shows up till I unplug, at which point it shows "0tb consumed of 0tb", which is false information.
  6. I tried opening up the drive itself, doesn't happen. Explorer basically doesn't respond till I unplug the drive.
  7. I tried looking at the drive through Disk Management, it doesn't load till I unplug the drive.
  8. I tried Seagate and WD utility tools, they don't even show the drive as detected, let alone disk usage or any other information.
With all this, I'm almost sure that there might be a hardware issue of some sort, but maybe there's still a way to recover the data through software? I can't afford data recovery services, since they are very expensive, and I don't want trust a third party with my data, since they won't allow me to supervise the process in the clean room.

Does anyone on here have any other insights or suggestions? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Pb4W43B.png

That's how it appears. Local Disk (D) is actually supposed to be "My Passport (D)". I'm using Windows 10 Pro, and the external HDD is a 4tb drive from WD called My Passport, possibly manufactured in 2018, or at least that's what the box says. And as you can see, there's no disk usage bar under it, unlike the other two.

Basically I've got 4tb of valuable data on the drive, and I was in the process of backing it up when it stopped working. I was only able to get around 300GB of the data, and the rest of it is still on there, without any backups. Here's what I've tried so far.
  1. I tried different cables. Didn't work.
  2. I tried connecting it to other computers. Same result.
  3. I tried connecting other external HDD's to the same port, with the same cable, always worked.
  4. I tried using chkdsk, doesn't happen at all. Then once I unplug, it says "drive not found" or something like that, but it doesn't respond till I unplug.
  5. I tried right-clicking and opening up properties, never shows up till I unplug, at which point it shows "0tb consumed of 0tb", which is false information.
  6. I tried opening up the drive itself, doesn't happen. Explorer basically doesn't respond till I unplug the drive.
  7. I tried looking at the drive through Disk Management, it doesn't load till I unplug the drive.
  8. I tried Seagate and WD utility tools, they don't even show the drive as detected, let alone disk usage or any other information.
With all this, I'm almost sure that there might be a hardware issue of some sort, but maybe there's still a way to recover the data through software? I can't afford data recovery services, since they are very expensive, and I don't want trust a third party with my data, since they won't allow me to supervise the process in the clean room.

Does anyone on here have any other insights or suggestions? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
Is it possible to take disk out of enclosure and connect directly to SATA port ? Maybe only USB interface is at fault.