Question Help with game server network ?

dannyXD

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013
Hi all,
Was wondering if setting up a DMZ for game serevrs is a good idea? Blocking all ports and only having the game server ports open. Planning to host a few servers (2 currently but 12 in the end) on VMs with proxmox.
I've narrowed it down to 2 options after a lot of searching. I should mention I'm using the ISP provided box of wonders, which allows DMZ but not VLans.

I saw something about installing pfSense on a seperate VM and having the others traffic run through the pfSense firewall then the routers firewall.

My 2nd option is to grab a Ubiquiti ER-X and setup a vlan to seperate the network to the server from everything else, this would be more ideal and I imagine easier?
I'll need to watch a lot of guide, but I like learning new things so It'll fun.

Where are the users. Is this a lan thing or is this on the internet.

If it is on the internet everything is going to be blocked by default and you will have to use port forwarding to make it work.

If you are worried about traffic between VM that I have no idea about since any protection would likely have to run on the same machine.

dannyXD

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013
Where are the users. Is this a lan thing or is this on the internet.

If it is on the internet everything is going to be blocked by default and you will have to use port forwarding to make it work.

If you are worried about traffic between VM that I have no idea about since any protection would likely have to run on the same machine.
Will be a public server for around 20 people. Only ports that I'll have open are for the game server so they can connect.

dannyXD

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013
OK, maybe.

As long as that 'server' is not used for other things.
A discreet box to serve games.
Yeah its only purpose will be to host game servers for our group of friends, and the people we've picked up along the way :)

If the Ubiquiti ER-X lets me setup vlans I may add a small storage VM too. The main issue is I have to use the ISP box.

TradeJack01

Commendable
Feb 19, 2022
You can use the ISP box and route it into Proxmox with PFSense VM. Then have other VMs on isolated VLANs behind that.