Question How Old is Too Old for Basic Tablet Functions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello

I need an android tablet for my folks and plan on getting something older and second hand - so it's pretty cheap - as they're not sure how much they'll use it yet.

I know that with each new version of android - some third party apps on existing tablets get to the point where they say we're not going to support your tablet anymore etc so the apps either die completely or stop getting updated (and might eventually die).

Now - if my parents just want it to view sheet music/lyrics as docs/pdfs, browser the net, look at photos they've taken, email etc etc.... am I right in assuming - it pretty much shouldn't really matter how incredibly old it gets - those basic things should still be fine ( though maybe not browsing eventually) ?

So any thoughts, advice?

Thank you for your help

The most important thing is to choose a device that was very popular.

That way, long after Google has decided it will no longer upgrade Android versions for the device, custom ROMs will be available for continued support, and of course all apps in the store support the current version of Android. Read the descriptions carefully as not all of them support automatic OTA updates.

That way the only expiration limit for the device is when it gets to be unbearably slow on the current Android version.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Honestly I think tablets have very long usable life. I still use my original Galaxy Tab S (released all the way back in 2014) to watch videos, movies, and write random stuff. Despite its age, it still has the best (most colourful ) display in the household, and I have no problem while using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.