Question I'm having trouble upgrading from dual band to tri-band ?

Apr 12, 2024
I have a wireless network with the TP-Link Deco Mesh X60. Very stable but may not be fastest. I made 4 attempts to upgrade to new tri-band routers or mesh systems. All of them had unstable connections and I had to switch back. I tried the archer, orbi and two different models of an upgraded tp link mesh system. Any ideas?

kanewolf

Titan
I have a wireless network with the deco mesh x60. Very stable but may not be fastest. I made 4 attempts to upgrade to new tri band routers or mesh systems. All of them had unstable connections and I had to switch back. I tried the archer, orbi and two different models of an upgraded tp link mesh system. Any ideas?
Move your remote APs closer to the base. Ideally, they should be 1/2 way between where you have good signal and where you need signal.
Get a wired network to connect the remote units.

Reactions: jenken1820
The word "tri band" has a couple meaning now days. The older one when you look at mesh units is they added a second 5ghz radio. This is generally used as a dedicated backhaul between the main router and the remote mesh units.

The newer use mean it also has a 6ghz radio that is used on wifi6e.

If your end devices also do not support wifi6e then that extra radio chip is unused.

The so called tri-band mesh units attempt to use the extra radio to avoid having the user data transmitted on the same radio and the backhaul. This designed used by simpler mesh systems cuts the bandwidth in at least 1/2. The problem with the concept of using 2 5ghz radio is it does not magically increase the amount of radio bandwidth there is. The 5ghz radio band is massively over crowded. There are really only 2 80mhz blocks you can use unrestricted and these fancy mesh unit attempt to use both. That means any other neighbor will overlap at least one if not both your signals. If they attempt to use 160mhz radio bands (ie wifi6) you now have 2 radio blocks that have to deal with interference with things like weather radar.

Although I have not seen them maybe mesh unit that have 2 6ghz radios might work better because there is much more bandwidth on the 6ghz radio band.

In any case as kanewolf recommended I would try to use a ethernet cable to hook up the remote units. Any kind of mesh systems tends to not work even close to what they claim.

Reactions: jenken1820
Apr 12, 2024
Move your remote APs closer to the base. Ideally, they should be 1/2 way between where you have good signal and where you need signal.
Get a wired network to connect the remote units.
I’ve read that - I just don’t understand why I haven’t had issues with the old x60 units. I’ve placed the new mesh routers in the same two spots. But I may just need to do the wired backhaul.

Apr 12, 2024
The word "tri band" has a couple meaning now days. The older one when you look at mesh units is they added a second 5ghz radio. This is generally used as a dedicated backhaul between the main router and the remote mesh units.

If your end devices also do not support wifi6e then that extra radio chip is unused.

The so called tri-band mesh units attempt to use the extra radio to avoid having the user data transmitted on the same radio and the backhaul. This designed used by simpler mesh systems cuts the bandwidth in at least 1/2. The problem with the concept of using 2 5ghz radio is it does not magically increase the amount of radio bandwidth there is. The 5ghz radio band is massively over crowded. There are really only 2 80mhz blocks you can use unrestricted and these fancy mesh unit attempt to use both. That means any other neighbor will overlap at least one if not both your signals. If they attempt to use 160mhz radio bands (ie wifi6) you now have 2 radio blocks that have to deal with interference with things like weather radar.

Although I have not seen them maybe mesh unit that have 2 6ghz radios might work better because there is much more bandwidth on the 6ghz radio band.

In any case as kanewolf recommended I would try to use a ethernet cable to hook up the remote units. Any kind of mesh systems tends to not work even close to what they claim thank

In any case as kanewolf recommended I would try to use a ethernet cable to hook up the remote units. Any kind of mesh systems tends to not work even close to what they claim.
Thanks for the info! The old deco x60 has a 2.4 and 5 band. I’ve also tried a router with the archer ax10000. Seemed to work great at first but then we were all having trouble with our iPhones and some other devices having a stable connection.

Apr 12, 2024
What kind of speeds do you get now?
What’s been happening is devices on the other side of my house have been unstable by the remote deco unit. Thinking of trying powerline or having an electrician run a cat cable to connect them together.