Question ancient Intel CPU underperforming?

Apr 15, 2024
You have a decade old dual core cpu, 4gb of single channel ram and are using integrated graphics. Most games are not going to run well.
Also the 2 benchmarks results are from different versions which is why the scores are different.
I know its an old CPU from 2014, and yes, people have told me that more RAM and dual channel help's with iGPU's. Still, I meet the minimum requirements for Valorant and I still have massive FPS drops, when I'm supposed to be getting atleast stable 30 fps like Riot Games say.

And what do you mean they're 2 different versions? I'm really curious about that.

EDIT: Nevermind, you meant the CPU Z was an older version.

Apr 15, 2024
Hey there,

Well firstly, let us know your full system specs.

Your performance doesn't look too much out of place for that CPU. It's very basic compared to modern processors.

The issue with your games, may well be something else.
Hi...
The spec's are on the last url.

So you're saying the CPU is behaving like it is supposed to, got it.

Now with the games, for example Valorant...is there any way you can help me find out why is it running so bad? Maybe my RAM is at fault since it has 10-15 years or something? I don't know if RAM gets worse performance over time...

Reactions: Order 66
Hi...
The spec's are on the last url.

So you're saying the CPU is behaving like it is supposed to, got it.

Now with the games, for example Valorant...is there any way you can help me find out why is it running so bad? Maybe my RAM is at fault since it has 10-15 years or something? I don't know if RAM gets worse performance over time...
Knowing the rest of your specs, yes, it's not going to play well. Even for Valorant. There are a number of reasons why your gameplay is nerfed.

TBH you need to look at an upgraded PC. Your system won't even get min requirements for any decent game in the last 5 years.

Apr 15, 2024
Your ram is not only single channel operating at half speed but only 4gb.

Integrated graphics performance is dependent on fast ram.
You would get very good upgrade in performance by changing out your ram to at least a 2 x 4gb ram kit.
Hold on, operating at half speed? It's operating at 1066mhz though, that's it's full speed.

And yes, I know. I'm going to buy 2x8 1600mhz kit and add an RX 580 or Gtx 1050. But I don't have money, if I had, I probably wouldn't be here asking for help haha.

Apr 15, 2024
Knowing the rest of your specs, yes, it's not going to play well. Even for Valorant. There are a number of reasons why your gameplay is nerfed.

TBH you need to look at an upgraded PC. Your system won't even get min requirements for any decent game in the last 5 years.
Take a quick look at the Valorant minimum requirements. My CPU is far better, and the GPU aswell. And I have 4GB RAM so I should be able to run the game.
So what are the reasons I meet the minimum requirements but can't play it at a stable framerate? Are they lying about the requirements? 🤔

And yes, I'm going to add more RAM and a DGPU, I know a simple HD 4600 won't run AC Valhalla, for example haha. But Valorant? I'm supposed to be having fun and not with constant fps drops...

I really want to know what are the reasons my gameplay is nerfed, for real... it's frustrating.

Hold on, operating at half speed? It's operating at 1066mhz though, that's it's full speed.

And yes, I know. I'm going to buy 2x8 1600mhz kit and add an RX 580 or Gtx 1050. But I don't have money, if I had, I probably wouldn't be here asking for help haha.
Look at the link of your specs.
Under memory, it says 532.1 which is half the rated speed of the ram. ram speed assumes dual channel operation.
A 8gb kit goes for about $10 on ebay.
About $15 new on newegg

kanewolf

Titan
I know its an old CPU from 2014, and yes, people have told me that more RAM and dual channel help's with iGPU's. Still, I meet the minimum requirements for Valorant and I still have massive FPS drops, when I'm supposed to be getting atleast stable 30 fps like Riot Games say.

And what do you mean they're 2 different versions? I'm really curious about that.

EDIT: Nevermind, you meant the CPU Z was an older version.
Single channel memory kills performance. Shown on this link -- https://valid.x86.fr/1reu5z

Apr 15, 2024
Look at the link of your specs.
Under memory, it says 532.1 which is half the rated speed of the ram. ram speed assumes dual channel operation.
A 8gb kit goes for about $10 on ebay.
About $15 new on newegg
Yeah...when I searched for using half the speed there were some forums that said it was normal because of CPU-Z itself and the RAM was operating at full speed though... that's weird...
And yeah... sometimes eBay is more expensive for me, due to shipping costs. But I'll definitely upgrade it soon.

Now please just help me out here: like I said, I'll get an RX 580 or GTX 1050 depending on my budget. And also get 2x8gb or a 8gb kit like you said. The questions now are: should I get 8 or 16 GBs? & If I upgrade the RAM before buying the GPU, will it help with Valorant (for example)?

Apr 15, 2024
Oh! One more thing guys, when I mounted the CPU on the motherboard, I noticed that the socket was bigger than the CPU 🤔. So the CPU is there, doesn't fall or anything but there is some small gap on the top and bottom between the CPU and Mobo. Is that normal?

Yeah...when I searched for using half the speed there were some forums that said it was normal because of CPU-Z itself and the RAM was operating at full speed though... that's weird...
And yeah... sometimes eBay is more expensive for me, due to shipping costs. But I'll definitely upgrade it soon.

Now please just help me out here: like I said, I'll get an RX 580 or GTX 1050 depending on my budget. And also get 2x8gb or a 8gb kit like you said. The questions now are: should I get 8 or 16 GBs? & If I upgrade the RAM before buying the GPU, will it help with Valorant (for example)?
Start with the ram.
If the mobo and your wallet will support it get a 2x8GB kit.

Reactions: judicandus
Take a quick look at the Valorant minimum requirements. My CPU is far better, and the GPU aswell. And I have 4GB RAM so I should be able to run the game.
So what are the reasons I meet the minimum requirements but can't play it at a stable framerate? Are they lying about the requirements? 🤔
What resolution are you playing at, and what graphics settings?

I doubt that 30 fps at minimum requirements is based on anything other than very low graphic settings and 1920x1080 resolution.

Apr 15, 2024
What resolution are you playing at, and what graphics settings?

I doubt that 30 fps at minimum requirements is based on anything other than very low graphic settings and 1920x1080 resolution.
1280x720(?) something like that. And all settings to low.

Okay. This example video they're using 8 GB RAM, and more importantly in the comments the poster keeps mentioning single-channel being the most likely culprit for poor frame rates. As per your CPU-Z, you've just got the one stick of 4 GB so are stuck in single-channel. Very probably your only option is to buy a 2 x 4 GB kit ( doubt a 2 x 2 GB is any cheaper these days) and sell the 4 GB stick you have now to offset the cost.

Apr 15, 2024
Okay. This example video they're using 8 GB RAM, and more importantly in the comments the poster keeps mentioning single-channel being the most likely culprit for poor frame rates. As per your CPU-Z, you've just got the one stick of 4 GB so are stuck in single-channel. Very probably your only option is to buy a 2 x 4 GB kit ( doubt a 2 x 2 GB is any cheaper these days) and sell the 4 GB stick you have now to offset the cost.
I'll do that, appreciate it. It's sad laptop ram can't work with desktops motherboards 😭
I spent like....120€ upgrading a laptop with an even worse CPU. But yeah... I'll try to find RAM for good prices. Do you think AliExpress RAM is reliable? Or should I go for Facebook marketplace and such?

I'll try to find RAM for good prices. Do you think AliExpress RAM is reliable? Or should I go for Facebook marketplace and such?
The thing about dual-channel is that the memory modules need to be extremely well matched. For example, even buying two of the same brand and model doesn't guarantee they'll work properly in dual-channel mode if they're bought separately, which is why they're usually sold in pre-matched pairs. The point is that its too easy to end up with 2x RAM that causes you problems.

Whatever else, get RAM from a known brand.

I've never bought from AliExpress. Reading around it's hit and miss.

2x8 GB DDR3 is about £30 new at the moment. (2x4 GB doesn't seem to be any cheaper.) I don't know what prices are around near you, but if you really cannot afford to buy new from a trusted parts supplier, I'd be minded to look around on eBay or maybe Marketplace, although you'll always be taking a chance.

Apr 15, 2024
The thing about dual-channel is that the memory modules need to be extremely well matched. For example, even buying two of the same brand and model doesn't guarantee they'll work properly in dual-channel mode if they're bought separately, which is why they're usually sold in pre-matched pairs. The point is that its too easy to end up with 2x RAM that causes you problems.

Whatever else, get RAM from a known brand.

I've never bought from AliExpress. Reading around it's hit and miss.

2x8 GB DDR3 is about £30 new at the moment. (2x4 GB doesn't seem to be any cheaper.) I don't know what prices are around near you, but if you really cannot afford to buy new from a trusted parts supplier, I'd be minded to look around on eBay or maybe Marketplace, although you'll always be taking a chance.
I see... I'll probably sell my 8GB laptop RAM and buy this kit on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3346836579.../me9Omoqt0D|tkp:BFBM_PPAp-Vj&var=543833522026

(Oh shet, big url sorry bout that)
What do you think of that kit? For 24€~

I used HyperX Fury previously and I was happy with it. The seller's been around a few years and seems legitimate enough, so it seems as good as any.

Nobody can guarantee that this will fix your Valorant problems of course, but moving from 4 GB single to 16 GB dual isn't a bad move in any case.