Question iPhone completely unable to log into websites, had a talk with the Apple experts but they couldn't fix it, phone is still under warranty ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
Hello All, so I purchased an iPhone 15 in December 2023, and it's been working all good, until the latest IOS update. I completely cannot log in to any website, I use my phone everyday and every two weeks, I have meetings. Today, I spent over an hour with the Apple technician, over the phone, they couldn't fix it. I have tried everything including factory reset, the phone is still under warranty, I am concerned, it will still pass Apple's test and they won't do much to fix it. Does anyone know what's broken or damaged with the phone?
A new phone shouldn't be doing this!!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am using my PC obviously, I have mentioned multiple times, I cannot connect with my phone to any website, please read my problem, with absolute respect.
Clear direct questions, require clear direct answers. We aren't there with you, seeing what you are seeing.

I'm sure you don't have now (unlikely anyway), but attaching an external keyboard to your iPhone and seeing if the behavior changes would be an interesting experiment.

https://www.amazon.com/iphone-external-keyboard/s?k=iphone+external+keyboard

Do you have any issues when typing phone numbers or texting, of any sort, like consistent mismatches of what you intended to type versus what appeared on-screen?

May 7, 2024
I don't think that's what's wrong with my phone, it worked perfectly fine, until the latest IOS update did something, I am pretty sure. Even if it is an input or keyboard issue, with factory reset and clearing keyboard settings, that should have been solved. Keyboard and inputs are working just fine!
Well, the purpose of troubleshooting is to definitively determine what the problem is and what caused it. Sure, it might have been caused by the iOS update, but that doesn't give you enough information that can then be forwarded to Apple for additional assistance.

All a username and password field is is a text box that you click a button and it sends another HTTP request similar to the one sent just to access the page in the first place with your credentials. That's it. If you can establish a connection to the website and get to the login page, that leaves an incredibly small subset of things it could be.

By trying a different network, we ruled out that your IP was blocked from authenticating to those sites. By trying different browsers, we ruled out that there was a faulty extension or some other bug with the browser. This leaves the input that you are supplying to the application, save for some bizarre scenario where your phone is infected with some extremely sophisticated targeted malware and modifying certain HTTP requests or a critical iOS bug, but to troubleshoot that further you'd need to MITM your phone's connection with a tool such as Burp Suite.

Speaking of MITM, this is incredibly unlikely but we're apparently getting into that territory now, are you sure that you're navigating to the correct website? Check the domain and ensure that you aren't entering credentials into a fraudulent website (which often pretend to reject your credentials to delay suspicion). Check your trusted root certification authorities in your settings.

Last edited:

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
All iOS browsers use WebKit - so you’re basically just reskinning Safari when using a different browser.

Reset website data under Safari’s advanced settings. Several times. Clear history and website data several times. Make sure JavaScript is turned on, and that cookies aren’t blocked.

Turn off browser extensions.

If you have iCloud+ then turn off private relay.

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
All iOS browsers use WebKit - so you’re basically just reskinning Safari when using a different browser.

Reset website data under Safari’s advanced settings. Several times. Clear history and website data several times. Make sure JavaScript is turned on, and that cookies aren’t blocked.

Turn off browser extensions.

If you have iCloud+ then turn off private relay.
I did all that with the Apple support advisor and it seriously didn't help

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
Well, the purpose of troubleshooting is to definitively determine what the problem is and what caused it. Sure, it might have been caused by the iOS update, but that doesn't give you enough information that can then be forwarded to Apple for additional assistance.

All a username and password field is is a text box that you click a button and it sends another HTTP request similar to the one sent just to access the page in the first place with your credentials. That's it. If you can establish a connection to the website and get to the login page, that leaves an incredibly small subset of things it could be.

By trying a different network, we ruled out that your IP was blocked from authenticating to those sites. By trying different browsers, we ruled out that there was a faulty extension or some other bug with the browser. This leaves the input that you are supplying to the application, save for some bizarre scenario where your phone is infected with some extremely sophisticated targeted malware and modifying certain HTTP requests or a critical iOS bug, but to troubleshoot that further you'd need to MITM your phone's connection with a tool such as Burp Suite.

Speaking of MITM, this is incredibly unlikely but we're apparently getting into that territory now, are you sure that you're navigating to the correct website? Check the domain and ensure that you aren't entering credentials into a fraudulent website (which often pretend to reject your credentials to delay suspicion). Check your trusted root certification authorities in your settings.
My Sir, I promise you that my phone is not infected or anything of the sort, I am sure of the websites I visit because each has a padlock link, which is authenticated. I'll check out Burp Suite.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
The only other things I can think of is to reset network settings, or reset the entire phone. And yes if that doesn’t work then push for a replacement under warranty.

iOS can definitely throw weird bugs occasionally. It broke external keyboard support on iPads in version 17.3.

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
The only other things I can think of is to reset network settings, or reset the entire phone. And yes if that doesn’t work then push for a replacement under warranty.

iOS can definitely throw weird bugs occasionally. It broke external keyboard support on iPads in version 17.3.
I just literally reset my phone a few weeks ago, however just now I tried your other suggestions and nothing has changed, so surely Apple, will notice this and I'll get a new phone tomorrow?

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Post an entry on Apple Community Discussions. You’ll be surprised at how useful this is, in terms of finding other people with the same issue.

Was it an Apple Genius Bar that looked at your phone and said “that’s weird” without actually doing anything more about it? That’s lame. Yes, go back calmly and insist on rectification before you leave. Apple isn’t going to be reading this forum. Or any forum (including their own).

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
Post an entry on Apple Community Discussions. You’ll be surprised at how useful this is, in terms of finding other people with the same issue.

Was it an Apple Genius Bar that looked at your phone and said “that’s weird” without actually doing anything more about it? That’s lame. Yes, go back calmly and insist on rectification before you leave. Apple isn’t going to be reading this forum. Or any forum (including their own).
It was an Apple employee over the phone, that said it's an weird issue, I think this will truly stump them, or perhaps I just got a faulty batch when they came out!?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Of course Sir, I will come back straight away on here, once it's hopefully sorted. I've just got a feeling they'll be truly baffled with this one! LOL. Much obliged and I really appreciate everyone's help!
This is definitely a brain teaser. I am wondering if there is some sort of language mismatch in the settings. For example, you are sending English and something else is, say Martian just for grins, is coming out.

I really hope they can resolve the matter in your presence, and not just throw you a new phone (which I would assume you would have to exchange with the original seller).

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
This is definitely a brain teaser. I am wondering if there is some sort of language mismatch in the settings. For example, you are sending English and something else is, say Martian just for grins, is coming out.

I really hope they can resolve the matter in your presence, and not just throw you a new phone (which I would assume you would have to exchange with the original seller).
I just reset network settings and put my Wi- Fi password in and no errors, it logged me into the network. However still on websites nothing, the phone is on contract with O2. I reckon I'll be having a back and forth fight now, for no reason, everything was good, till the bloody update, I'm absolutely sure, something bricked it

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a Safari bug. OP didn’t mention if dedicated apps such as banking or Gmail can still log in without problems. AFAIK some apps still authenticate via WebKit.

That iOS 17.3 keyboard bug I mentioned earlier? Only applied to Safari.

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a Safari bug. OP didn’t mention if dedicated apps such as banking or Gmail can still log in without problems.
Banking apps, I have been able to log into and other apps such as Tesco. Gmail I couldn't log into, so I downloaded YouTube then, it somehow managed to log me in, then I had to download Gmail and I got logged in. Doing that factory reset was a flipping nightmare, I almost got locked out of my own phone, it's clearly faulty.