News Leaker claims Nvidia plans to launch RTX 5080 before RTX 5090 — which would make perfect sense for a dual-die monster GPU

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
Using flawless silicon in RTX5080, and imperfect in RTX5090 is certainly a clever way to improve useful yields.

I totally expect a Titan-class next year featuring the full 512-bit bus with 3GB density VRAM. (48GB total)

Reactions: artk2219

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Using flawless silicon in RTX5080, and imperfect in RTX5090 is certainly a clever way to improve useful yields.

I totally expect a Titan-class next year featuring the full 512-bit bus with 3GB density VRAM. (48GB total)

Well, not quite what they have done in the past. 4080 is not a flawless chip, that is where the 4080 Super came from.

3080 was not the full chip, 3080 12GB, and 3080 Ti, 3090, and 3090 Ti were all variants with only the 3090 Ti being the fully enabled chip.

2080 was also not fully enabled, that came in the from of the 2080 Super or the RTX 5000. With the 2080 Ti being on a different GPU.

Last 80 series that came fully enabled at launch was the GTX1080, I believe.

Sounds like a complete departure here with the 5080 being a monolithic chip and the 5090 being a multi chip module card.

valthuer

Proper
Oct 26, 2023

If 5090 ends up being a beast of a card, i can definitely see Nvidia cancelling any plans for a Titan GPU, just like they did with 4090 Ti. Especially considering the fact that no decent high-end competitor can be expected from AMD's side, any time soon.

Reactions: Geef and artk2219

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
Of course it makes sense to launch the 5080 months before, it will be faster than the 4090 so every YouTuber and hipster will buy it even it costs more than 4090. And why wouldn it, it's faster after all! Now vida pushing 80 tier to around $2k and 90 tier to 2 and a half or even 3

Giroro

Splendid
I could see the 5080 being the lowest tier chip that Nvidia launches next gen, and increasing it's price to $1500, if not $2000. But I also wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia launches their Workstation 5080 equivalent cards first at $4k-$5k and pushed back the gaming cards by a year or two.
Who's going to stop them? AMD/Intel probably are not even going to try to beat the 4090. Even if they could match it in gaming, the 4090 is not primarily being bought as a gaming card, people are buying it for work (And I bet that makes Nvidia unhappy).
Nvidia doesn't even want to waste their precious luxury silicon on gamers in the first place. I'm sure our crumpled dollars would sully their elite brand if us commoners could ever manage to scrape together $2,000 for their lowest tier, entry level product.

Or maybe Nvidia's executives have become so rich, so quickly, they'll just assume $2000 is a really good value and everybody can afford it. Sort of a "I've gotten 20x richer in the last 3 years, so surely even the poorest of people could afford to pay at least twice as much as they could last gen", kind of mentality.

Either way, I'm fully prepared for the next gen to be the worst value and least competitive generation of gaming graphics cards, ever. It's an easy prediction considering their pattern of consistently redefining "worst value" for the current gen, and the last gen, and the gen before that...

Geef

Distinguished
Don't worry about yields!
They should start with a 5050 and each month go up a tiny bit from there! 5050ti...5060...5060ti...
Torture Everyone!!
They would get tons of rich guys who just can't wait and they buy a slower card for the several months until the fastest card is available!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Don't worry about yields!
They should start with a 5050 and each month go up a tiny bit from there! 5050ti...5060...5060ti...
Torture Everyone!!
They would get tons of rich guys who just can't wait and they buy a slower card for the several months until the fastest card is available!
Nothing really wrong with continuing with the current schedule, with the early adopters getting bitten by the later release of Super/Ti refreshes.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
Of course it makes sense to launch the 5080 months before, it will be faster than the 4090 so every YouTuber and hipster will buy it even it costs more than 4090. And why wouldn it, it's faster after all! Now vida pushing 80 tier to around $2k and 90 tier to 2 and a half or even 3
Yeah. The 5080 will compete with and lose to a 5090 so sell it first. Then release 5090 and take the money from those silly enough to upgrade from a 5080 to a 5090.

Probably it will be priced at the 4090 level or even slightly lower. Only slightly mind! Enough for the headlines.

I wonder if the RTX 5060 will finally be twice as fast as a 2019 RTX 2060. You would think so, but so far nVidia has yet to manage to make an xx60 card twice as fast as the RTX 2060 (an RTX 4070 is exactly twice as fast and has twice the VRAM, but it also cost twice as much).

Last 80 series that came fully enabled at launch was the GTX1080, I believe.
GTX 1080Ti wasn't fully enabled. Titan Xp was.

I'm not fond of the performance gap between the xx90 and xx80 series cards getting wider. This is just gonna give NVIDIA license to charge $1999 for the xx90 series. Especially since AMD isn't competing at the top end next gen.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GTX 1080Ti wasn't fully enabled. Titan Xp was.

I'm not fond of the performance gap between the xx90 and xx80 series cards getting wider. This is just gonna give NVIDIA license to charge $1999 for the xx90 series. Especially since AMD isn't competing at the top end next gen.

GTX1080 was a fully enabled GPU, it also launched a year earlier. GTX1080 TI was a different GPU that wasn't fully enabled, thus not mentioning it as a fully enabled GPU.

Reactions: alceryes
Feb 2, 2024
We can't blame NVIDIA for the high prices, why should they drop the prices if people keep buying them?
The 4090 was such an amazing high tech gpu unlike anything we had ever seen before in our lives, it has AI that took billions to make in the largest foundries and was infused in the 4090. The DLSS is a magic button, in defying physics and logic it can actually create something from nothing, it can literally magically increase the frame rate without any wrong in the image. So you see, that is why it's worth near 4000 dollars.
However, according to my eyes, DLSS is just a glorified low resolution smoother. It literally takes 4K and turns it into 2K which kinda defeats the purpose of 4K. So when looked at from this perspective the value for money becomes truly horrendous and it's just another average graphics.

Please NVIDIA bring out a dual gpu monster, don't worry if it costs five and a half grand, people will still buy it. Were gonna need that for path tracing you know!

Reactions: 35below0