Question I'm looking for B650 motherboard suggestions ?

Hnoor

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2014
Hello,

I am looking for a STABLE and reliable B650 Motherboard. The emphasis is on reliability. I normally go for Asus or Gigabyte Motherboard but the AM5 motherboards have mixed reviews and some sites recommend AsRock, a brand I am completely unaware of.

1. I don't need more than 3 or 4 Usb 3.0 ports,
  2. Wifi is welcome but not mandatory.
  3. Should have at least two Pcie 4 slots and 1 Gen5 NVME slot (in case I want to upgrade later on).
  4. Lan port is a must.
  5. The price should ideally be less than 250$.
My processor will be a Ryzen 9 7900x3d and my GPU is Gigabyte 4080. My case is really old, CMStorm Scout 2 so extended MoBos won't fit.
Lastly, I have read anything with 60a VRM , is good enough.

Lutfij

Titan
1| Where are you located?
2| What is your preferred site for purchase?
3| What sort of a budget have you set aside for your motherboard?

My case is really old, CMStorm Scout 2 so extended MoBos won't fit.
4| You might want to change the case to something a little more accommodating to 2024 hardware(not the EATX part but cooling and hardware mounting wise). The case you currently have is ~11 years old.

Hnoor

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2014
1| Where are you located?
2| What is your preferred site for purchase?
3| What sort of a budget have you set aside for your motherboard?

My case is really old, CMStorm Scout 2 so extended MoBos won't fit.
4| You might want to change the case to something a little more accommodating to 2024 hardware(not the EATX part but cooling and hardware mounting wise). The case you currently have is ~11 years old.
I live in Pakistan but I normally buy stuff from Newegg or Amazon.

The problem with Casing is the shipping part. Everything else I can get someone to fit in a suit case and bring it. How will the fit a case ?
----------------
Edit
Managed to find NZXT H7 Flow

Last edited:
I live in Pakistan but I normally buy stuff from Newegg or Amazon.

The problem with Casing is the shipping part. Everything else I can get someone to fit in a suit case and bring it. How will the fit a case ?
Have a look at my signature bellow, I'm very satisfied with it. Gigabyte and specially Asus dropped the ball with B650 MBs but ASrock and MSI have good stuff. I bought it on recommendation of this and others.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tO1g0HJI-0&t=600s

ASRock has ugly but effective BIOS not missing any settings.

Hnoor

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2014
Have a look at my signature bellow, I'm very satisfied with it. Gigabyte and specially Asus dropped the ball with B650 MBs but ASrock and MSI have good stuff. I bought it on recommendation of this and others.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tO1g0HJI-0&t=600s

ASRock has ugly but effective BIOS not missing any settings.
Thank you. Can you share the Pros and Cons of buying a Micro-ATX motherboard. I have the following inside my case
1 SSD
1 Hard Disk
1 Nvme (4 Gen, Samsung 980 Pro)
1 GPU (4080)

I tried looking for the ATX version of the Board but that's for 245$.

Whereas ASrock x670E is for 219$. I can afford this.

Also, I managed to find a decent case here, NZXT H7 Flow. The US price is 130$, I got it here for 160. Its not that amazing but better than my old case , I hope

Last edited:
Thank you. Can you share the Pros and Cons of buying a Micro-ATX motherboard. I have the following inside my case
1 SSD
1 Hard Disk
1 Nvme (4 Gen, Samsung 980 Pro)
1 GPU (4080)

I tried looking for the ATX version of the Board but that's for 245$.

Whereas ASrock x670E is for 219$. I can afford this.

Also, I managed to find a decent case here, NZXT H7 Flow. The US price is 130$, I got it here for 160. Its not that amazing but better than my old case , I hope
This particular one has 3 x m.2 NVMe gen4 sockets and 4 SATA3 which all work even with all M.2 used. First M.2 slot is gen5
Also 2 PCIe x16 gen4. and 2 PCIe x1.
Decent number of USB 3.1/3.2 with 2 USB3 connectors.
Forget about PCIe v5, it's going to take few years before they need to be a standard. That's very rich for a mATX MB, some x670 don't have as much.
Negative thing is 180W VRM which is not exactly enough for 7950x which is 230W. 7900x needs 170W tops so that's fine.
Other thing is relatively old sound CoDec chip Realtek 7.1 but with Nahimic enhancements sounds pretty good.
Network is also Realtek 2.5Gb.

Hnoor

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2014
This particular one has 3 x m.2 NVMe gen4 sockets and 4 SATA3 which all work even with all M.2 used. First M.2 slot is gen5
Also 2 PCIe x16 gen4. and 2 PCIe x1.
Decent number of USB 3.1/3.2 with 2 USB3 connectors.
Forget about PCIe v5, it's going to take few years before they need to be a standard. That's very rich for a mATX MB, some x670 don't have as much.
Negative thing is 180W VRM which is not exactly enough for 7950x which is 230W. 7900x needs 170W tops so that's fine.
Other thing is relatively old sound CoDec chip Realtek 7.1 but with Nahimic enhancements sounds pretty good.
Network is also Realtek 2.5Gb.
Will it be able to run a Ryzen 9 7900x3d ? Also, how does one find out VRM ? All i could find are Vcore and VRM numbers that are in amps e.g. 60A

It's funny how back in the days Asrock was the one HardwareUnboxed took aim, now Asus is the one on the target. I don't think anyone has a perfect line, I just dont like overpaying for stuff :D
Asrock used to be "Baby Asus", made in same places and didn't make top models so it doesn't encroach Asus's always inflated prices. Asus got a bad rap with first AM5 MBs, making some with wrongly turned capacitors and allowing too high voltages and power which melted first Ryzen 7000 CPUs but also with dismal warranty handling.