[SOLVED] MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus intel stock cooler.

Britishblue

Prominent
Sep 14, 2021
I recently got an MSI MPg z390 gaming plus as a replacement for my gigabyte z370m d3h as one of the ram slots broke and I found this board for 50 percent off. I went to install an intel stock cooler while I was putting everything back together but the coolers pins wouldnt fit on. After a long time of getting nowhere I decided to wiggle it and put some force onto the pin and I managed to get 3 in by doing that. But the 4th one wouldnt go in fully. I built the rest of the pc back up and it worked fine and the cpu temps are pretty decent. I looked on google for explanations and even asked MSI live chat and they didnt know what it was either, and said that an intel stock cooler should fit on a Z390 board. turned the pins clockwise to reset them like you should but it just wouldnt work ??? I'm very confused as to why. The pins that pushed in seem to be in like normal and are coming out the back of the board fine. I was able to turn these pins like you should be able to, but the pin that didnt go in wasnt turning easily. I can get a photo of it later if you think that may help. Does anyone know any possibilities as to why it may not have gone in properly? Thanks

Solution
I recently got an MSI MPg z390 gaming plus as a replacement for my gigabyte z370m d3h as one of the ram slots broke and I found this board for 50 percent off. I went to install an intel stock cooler while I was putting everything back together but the coolers pins wouldnt fit on. After a long time of getting nowhere I decided to wiggle it and put some force onto the pin and I managed to get 3 in by doing that. But the 4th one wouldnt go in fully. I built the rest of the pc back up and it worked fine and the cpu temps are pretty decent. I looked on google for explanations and even asked MSI live chat and they didnt know what it was either, and said that an intel stock cooler should fit on a Z390 board. turned the pins clockwise to...
I recently got an MSI MPg z390 gaming plus as a replacement for my gigabyte z370m d3h as one of the ram slots broke and I found this board for 50 percent off. I went to install an intel stock cooler while I was putting everything back together but the coolers pins wouldnt fit on. After a long time of getting nowhere I decided to wiggle it and put some force onto the pin and I managed to get 3 in by doing that. But the 4th one wouldnt go in fully. I built the rest of the pc back up and it worked fine and the cpu temps are pretty decent. I looked on google for explanations and even asked MSI live chat and they didnt know what it was either, and said that an intel stock cooler should fit on a Z390 board. turned the pins clockwise to reset them like you should but it just wouldnt work ??? I'm very confused as to why. The pins that pushed in seem to be in like normal and are coming out the back of the board fine. I was able to turn these pins like you should be able to, but the pin that didnt go in wasnt turning easily. I can get a photo of it later if you think that may help. Does anyone know any possibilities as to why it may not have gone in properly? Thanks
it would work, but sometimes intel stock cooler on some particular motherboard is a little bit hard to fit, i had the same problem like you once, and i put some force on the white lock from above using screwdriver carefully, and make sure it fits the hole and push tthe lock in.

Solution

Britishblue

Prominent
Sep 14, 2021
it would work, but sometimes intel stock cooler on some particular motherboard is a little bit hard to fit, i had the same problem like you once, and i put some force on the white lock from above using screwdriver carefully, and make sure it fits the hole and push tthe lock in.
Would you recommend I try to fully push the last pin in or should I just leave it? Under load my temps do seem to be a bit higher than they were but they would only reach a max of 70 degrees cpu on some games. Wouldnt have the thermal paste dried so I couldnt push it it now without reapplying it? Thanks

Britishblue

Prominent
Sep 14, 2021
a good aftermarket cooler is easier to install and reinstall, since they use their own mechanism. just dont worry, it's not hard to remove the stock cooler anyways ;D
I actually managed to fix it. I saw a great video on how you should push the white pins in first then the black pin in after. I removed the cooler and tried this and it worked instantly. Temps are normal now.

Reactions: Koekieezz