Question Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+ is not working in main PCIe slot ?

digows

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Hello everyone,

I'm encountering a peculiar issue with my new PC build and could use some advice. Here's my current setup:

- GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+
- Motherboard: TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
- CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
- PSU: MSI MAG A650BN
- RAM: 32GB (2x16) Kingston Fury DDR4 3200 CL16
- Storage: Intel SSD 660p 1TB (currently removed, so no storage)

Problem: When I insert the GPU into the main PCIe slot, which is a 16-lane slot, the system does not start and keeps rebooting in a loop without any display output. However, if I place the GPU into the second PCIe slot, everything works fine, and I can access the BIOS without any issues. Interestingly, an older GPU works fine in both the first and second slots.

- The BIOS is up to date.
- Aftermarket parts

I'd appreciate any guidance on how to resolve this issue, as I would like to utilize the main PCIe slot for maximum performance. Thank you in advance for your help!

Solution
I am sorry for all the confusion.
My video card is fully connected by 2 x 6+2 pcie cables.
But my CPU connected only by 8 out of 12 available and my PSU has only 8 pin connector for cpu

Thats not an issue at all, the extra 4 pin cpu power connector is not a requirement really, not unless you use most powerfull AM4 cpu + overclocking with liquid nitrogen.

In page 29 of the moterboard manual shows you that you only need to plug the 8 pin EATX12V_1 (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/TUF_GAMING_X570-PLUS_WI-FI/E15236_TUF_GAMING_X570-PLUS_WI-FI_UM_WEB_060319.pdf?model=TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)).

Two things you can try:

1. Go into the BIOS look for "GPU PCI-E mode" (or something similar to that) and...
Apr 19, 2024
OK, so from what you mentioned before, we understand that you do not have a history from your video card?
In this case i suspect that you have an ex miner card.
Please use GPU-z and save the current BIOS from your video card.
Upload it and let me check if it was modded for mining.
https://file.io/t0VeI4kVURoU

digows

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
OK, so from what you mentioned before, we understand that you do not have a history from your video card?
In this case i suspect that you have an ex miner card.
Please use GPU-z and save the current BIOS from your video card.
Upload it and let me check if it was modded for mining.
https://file.io/t0VeI4kVURoU
here is primary, secondary from Trixx and one from GPU-z (just in case)
https://file.io/l4Y72Wc5gSCu
Thank you

Apr 19, 2024
Well, as far as i can see, i opened both BIOS-es.
Both of them are legit.
Memory timings were not altered, so no further investigation related to mining purposes needed.
What i mean is that your current BIOS-es are closer to original files(i can't guarantee but they appear to be original)

digows

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Both of them are legit.
Memory timings were not altered, so no further investigation related to mining purposes needed.
What i mean is that your current BIOS-es are closer to original files(i can't guarantee but they appear to be original)
Both of them are legit.
May be this could be a problem: video card uses 16 (6+2+6+2) and my mobo has 8+4 pins but I only have 8pin connector left from psu. Could this be a problem-not enough power for cpu?

Apr 19, 2024
Well, that is indeed a problem.
Please go fast and buy a special adapter for your card.
Why didn't you said from beginning that you don't have all the connectors?

Whats the brand and model of your PSU? If it does not have the correct amount and type of cables to power the GPU maybe you should consider changing it.

You should not mix motherboard and cpu power cables with dedicated GPU ones that your power supply must have..

Apr 19, 2024
WOW...yeah...as @RodroX said earlier (i didn't saw that way) DO NOT combine those cables.
Not even for testing. If your PSU have only one 6+2 cable, but a splitter that will add another 6+2 so you will have enough power for your card. And yes, one cable that comes from PSU is enough to supply the "juice" you need for your card. But tomorrow but that splitter.

digows

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Whats the brand and model of your PSU? If it does not have the correct amount and type of cables to power the GPU maybe you should consider changing it.

You should not mix motherboard and cpu power cables with dedicated GPU ones that your power supply must have..

Psu - MSI MAG A650BN
I did not think it was a problem, many say that 8pin is more than enough for this mobo
I did not mix cpu connectors and pcie connectors, they have markings and all pcie went to gpu and all 8 cpu that i have went to cpu

Apr 19, 2024
As for the power you need, that PSU is enough - IF and i repeat IF, it is working as it should.
As for the connectors, please buy that splitter i mentioned earlier.

If those you wrote are the correct PC parts:

https://www.msi.com/Power-Supply/MAG-A650BN/Specification

https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/nitro-radeon-rx-5700-xt-8g-gddr6#Specification

Then according to the official specs of each one, you shouldn't need anything else to power the GPU.

The PSU already comes and should include 2x 6+2 PCIE power cables, and the GPU needs only two of those.

It's posible you are missing one of the original PCI-E cables for the PSU, and you should not mix any other cable from a different brand.
If you are indeed missing one of this PCIEpower cables make sure you get one that is 100% compatible, cause the plug that goes into the PSU connector may not be pinned the same way between different brands and models.

Apr 19, 2024
Hello. NO, do not use MOLEX to PCI connector.
You need to buy a PCI-E splitter from 1x 6+2 to 2x 6+2
As far as i understood from @digows - he have only one available :
"my mobo has 8+4 pins but I only have 8pin connector left from psu."

digows

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
But my CPU connected only by 8 out of 12 available and my PSU has only 8 pin connector for cpu

Apr 19, 2024
Well, that changes the problem a bit.
In this case you have all the "juice" needed for the video card to work properly.
Would you be so kind and tell us the other card is also from AMD?
I ask because the video card draw power also from PCI-e connector and the rest from extra power connectors.
If you have a defective PCI-e connector on the motherboard and it can't supply the power needed by the video card that could be a reason for those restarts.
So in order to eliminate a cause we need to narrow a bit the sources.

digows

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Well, that changes the problem a bit.
In this case you have all the "juice" needed for the video card to work properly.
Would you be so kind and tell us the other card is also from AMD?
I ask because the video card draw power also from PCI-e connector and the rest from extra power connectors.
If you have a defective PCI-e connector on the motherboard and it can't supply the power needed by the video card that could be a reason for those restarts.
So in order to eliminate a cause we need to narrow a bit the sources.
My other card is very old GTX660

Apr 19, 2024
It is old...and it is green (Nvidia).
Well, i would suggest to look for some friends who have a newer card and if it is possible to be red (AMD).
That way we can eliminate some doubts.

Thats not an issue at all, the extra 4 pin cpu power connector is not a requirement really, not unless you use most powerfull AM4 cpu + overclocking with liquid nitrogen.

In page 29 of the moterboard manual shows you that you only need to plug the 8 pin EATX12V_1 (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/TUF_GAMING_X570-PLUS_WI-FI/E15236_TUF_GAMING_X570-PLUS_WI-FI_UM_WEB_060319.pdf?model=TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)).

Two things you can try:

1. Go into the BIOS look for "GPU PCI-E mode" (or something similar to that) and manually change the mode between auto, pci-e 3.0 and pci 4.0, put back the card in the slot 1 after each change and see if the PC boots.

2. Use isopropyl alcohol to gently clean the contacts on your RX 5700 XT.

Solution

digows

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006

Two things you can try:

1. Go into the BIOS look for "GPU PCI-E mode" (or something similar to that) and manually change the mode between auto, pci-e 3.0 and pci 4.0, put back the card in the slot 1 after each change and see if the PC boots.

2. Use isopropyl alcohol to gently clean the contacts on your RX 5700 XT.
I managed to run it in main pcie slot on gen 1, gen 2 and gen 3 but not gen 4.
What could be the problem? Bios is up to date
I also ran some test on cinebench and it was better on second slot (with gen 4 probably)
Gen 3 16 lanes 4872
Gen 4 4 lanes 5013
Thank you all for your help

I managed to run it in main pcie slot on gen 1, gen 2 and gen 3 but not gen 4.
What could be the problem? Bios is up to date
I also ran some test on cinebench and it was better on second slot (with gen 4 probably)
Gen 3 16 lanes 4872
Gen 4 4 lanes 5013
Thank you all for your help
Far as I remember, the slot 1 is up to PCIE 4.0 x 16 (full 16 lines), while the second slot is up to PCIE 4.0 x 16 lanes (4 lines only).
I think the difference may be do to Resizable Side Bar (RSB) been enable in BIOS and giving slightly better results on the newer full 16 lanes PCIE 4.0 slot.

Anyways, the difference in CB is not huge either , about 3%, so I guess either slot will be the same for gaming.

digows

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Far as I remember, the slot 1 is up to PCIE 4.0 x 16 (full 16 lines), while the second slot is up to PCIE 4.0 x 16 lanes (4 lines only).
I think the difference may be do to Resizable Side Bar (RSB) been enable in BIOS and giving slightly better results on the newer full 16 lanes PCIE 4.0 slot.

Anyways, the difference in CB is not huge either , about 3%, so I guess either slot will be the same for gaming.
Yes in games result is about 5 fps difference (cyberpunk 2077 ultra preset 72-76 fps)
But I cannot test it in full 4.0x16(16 lines) its only working in 3.0
Side bar is disabled
I guess everything is working hardware wise?

Yes in games result is about 5 fps difference (cyberpunk 2077 ultra preset 72-76 fps)
But I cannot test it in full 4.0x16(16 lines) its only working in 3.0
Side bar is disabled
I guess everything is working hardware wise?
Yes everything seems to be working hardware wise.

I do not know why Asus still have those issues in 2024, witht he PCI slots gen 4.0 and some GPUs.