Question Need help with Frontier 2g internet

John2090073

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013
So Frontier came and hooked up my 2g internet yesterday and I'm only getting 1g because of there router. I'm looking to buy a new one that can support 2 2.5g ports. I know it's the router because I unplugged the router from the modem and plugged in directly from the modem to my pc and my speeds are achieved. However, as soon as I plug the router back in I am tapped out to 1g. The back of the router only has a 2.5g port and 1g port. The route they supplied me with is a Eero pro 6e which from what I have been reading only allows for 1g wired internet speeds. I was looking at this https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Tri-...words=2.5gb+router&qid=1713100523&sr=8-3&th=1

Was wondering if Asus makes something like this as I don't know much about TP-Link but I am familiar with Asus. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kanewolf

Titan
So Frontier came and hooked up my 2g internet yesterday and I'm only getting 1g because of there router. I'm looking to buy a new one that can support 2 2.5g ports. I know it's the router because I unplugged the router from the modem and plugged in directly from the modem to my pc and my speeds are achieved. However, as soon as I plug the router back in I am tapped out to 1g. The back of the router only has a 2.5g port and 1g port. The route they supplied me with is a Eero pro 6e which from what I have been reading only allows for 1g wired internet speeds. I was looking at this https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Tri-Band-Archer-BE550-HomeShield/dp/B0CJSNSVMR/ref=sr_1_3?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.kYcTiAD2MXOzr0kCxcxArA2xGp4dZFiBY4mB8MSbXmKkexnOBqBgZIprEGHktB20jOrEdQVWX3x9Dgqtg5LdHL-oPuapO8OG9DFZKwv8DzaF7PObEtl1ikLa3HIxgmj2DF8K0XMpW8Omsea491vdXGs-QGapliH4mu7yuvT-fBHoofc5_kULQiMAv7znKVy4PR_77GiqHTiZvcb3nXebBWoUikPXCt4opf3JV81N_qg.oYCjwX5mCtdKwUbQ4Rx44VVBj0NcHuzFgDpQK4MQpI0&dib_tag=se&keywords=2.5gb+router&qid=1713100523&sr=8-3&th=1

Was wondering if Asus makes something like this as I don't know much about TP-Link but I am familiar with Asus. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, Asus had routers that have 2.5GE ports. On the network page of Asus.com you have to use the "Key features" to filter for 2.5GE.

I have to ask, what do you believe will be the benefit of multi-gigabit WAN connectivity? Gaming won't improve. Most websites won't be any faster. Game downloads might speed up, but is that really important? Unless the cost of multi-gig WAN is trivial compared to 1GE, 99% of people will just be wasting money.

Reactions: PEnns
I have not seen that router so I can not really comment on it directly.

TPLINK is very well known for very good product for much less money than say asus or linksys etc. I know asus had a model that had 1 2.5 wan and 1 2.5 lan a while back. I think it was when wifi6e first came out. It was like $600.

Asus used to be top of the line stuff but they have had some very major mess ups both in the motherboard and router firmware in the last few years.

Mostly you are paying for the brand name.

All this said maybe you should run directly with the modem for a while and see if you really find much advantage to the higher speed.

High bandwidth connection only help with large downloads. They do not make web pages run faster or netflix run better.

It all depends on how much download you do in say a month. If you download some massive 20gbyte game at 1gbit it would take 160 seconds to download. At 2.5g it would take 63 seconds to download. So how much did you pay extra to save 100 second when you look at the extra monthly cost and the cost of the router.

And this assume sites like steam do not have artificial limits to prevent people with high speed connection from over using their systems.

Don't get suckered by the ISP. They know very well that most people can not actually consistently use even 1gbit connections. This lets them sell the same fiber bandwidth (which is only 2.5g total on many systems) to many customers.

Reactions: kanewolf