[SOLVED] No POST or display on new build ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2024
New PC build powers on (CPU fan powers on but no other indication that its on) but won´t POST and there's no display with either the GPU or iGPU.

I tried two different CPUs (7600 and 7800x3d) and two motherboards (same)
Tried RAM sticks in both RAM slots. One at a time.
All cables and connections checked thoroughly.
RAM on QVL list, CPU is supported by MB.

Any suggestions?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12s -AM5 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock A620I LIGHTNING WIFI Mini ITX AM5 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GAMING X SLIM GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Terra Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Corsair SF750 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular

Last edited:

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
PC build powers on (CPU fan powers on but no other indication that its on) but won´t post and no display with either GPU or iGPU.
I tried two different CPUs and motherboards.
All cables and connections checked thoroughly.
RAM on QVL list, CPU is supported by MB.

Any suggestions?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9A-AM5 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock A620I LIGHTNING WIFI Mini ITX AM5 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GAMING X SLIM GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Terra Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Corsair SF750 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular
I assume that it has been working and now is failing?

Mar 14, 2024
how does the L9a cool the 7800x3d ??
not really my first choice for cooling the 7800x3d !!
I will tell you when I have this build up and running!
I'm actually using the NH-L12s - it didn't come up in pcpartspicker so I selected the L9 instead. Presumably because of fit to the mb. It only fits in one orientation and max 33mm height of RAM sticks. Edited the parts list accordingly.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024
Any POST beeps?

Do you have any other RAM you can try?
No beeps. But there isn't any speaker connected to the header on the mb and I don't have any computer speakers on hand. Would headphones work in the front speaker connector on the mb i/o panel?
Haven't tried any other RAM. That and the M.2 drive are the only two things I haven't swapped out.

Ralston18

Titan
This motherboard?

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/A620I Lightning WiFi.pdf

[Verify that I found the applicable manual.]

First, read and review the entire manual.

Second, refer to the manual step by step to doublecheck all connections and seatings. Ensure that all are correct and fully and firmly in place.

No display - check the warning on physically numbered Page 45. Good idea to check all other warnings etc..

All too easy to miss some important or relevant detail.

= = = =

Again, double check that all connections and card seatings are fully and firmly in place.

No one wants to force anything especially with a new build. So what seems to be fully and firmly connected is actually not so.

Power down, unplug.

Carefully unplug and replug all connectors a few times. Do the same for cards and RAM. Be sure to inspect each port and slot for signs of debris and damage. Flashlight recommended....

You may discover that something goes into place much more smoothly and securely.

Hopefully the posted problem is simply some error of omission or commission.

Take your time, work methodically.

Reactions: bennigu
Mar 14, 2024
Finally had time to work on this again.

Thoroughly went through everything again as Ralston18 suggested. The only thing I found was that I had connected the pwr sw horizontal instead of vertical. I had used the diagram on p.39 instead of the one on p.29 (see photos) so the switch was connected to the pwrbtn# pin and gnd pin from the reset sw instead if the gnd pin for the pwr sw. I don´t know if thats what was the matter or not (gnd being gnd and all that) but it booted up afterwards with one RAM stick in slot B1.

I did however notice that both RAM sticks were very slightly bent (thank you amazon - used like new) and after booting it up with both sticks in place it did not post.

I bought new sticks of the same brand/type and everything works, so my conclusion is that one RAM stick is bad.

Thanks to all who took the time to read through and post their suggestions here above

View: https://imgur.com/a/uqsMw2L

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike
Status
Not open for further replies.