May 5, 2024
First and foremost I'd like to tell you that i have no clue which category should this go to cuz it's my first time posting here lol, so admin please move this to appropriate category of possible lol.

So my pc is acting funny, so here's the story, i was playing a AAA game one day and my pc just goes black screen and wont even post after reboot, i tried my best to sus out the problem and somehow made it worst that i can't even enter safe mode anymore so the next day I brought the GPU to MSI official distributor here and they sent that to MSI for repair(here end users cant interact with MSI directly which is really stupid)

Fast forward one week.
My gpu is ready to be picked up so I brought it back home the same day, I really am confused if they did any repairs or just left it on a table for it to collect dust because there was no evidence of the device being tampered(I should be seeing two warranty seals on the backplate screws, one broken and one brand new, correct me if im wrong here).

So i proceeded by installing the gpu to my system just to find that it's still not posting anything, I was frustrated so i put the gpu back to it's box and just went to bed.

I tried using a old as hell AMD gpu in the morning and my pc works just fine(i can't do any test with any AAA games using this amd gpu obviously lol) then i reinstalled my "problematic" GPU back in just to find out that it was working fine, so I just proceeded to upgrade to win 11 from win 10 pro(forgot to mention that before sending my gpu for repair i did a fresh install of windows 10).

Fast forward to present time.
A lot of things are working fine:
-every common/most used windows 11 functions
-browsing the internet (youtube googling etc)
-playing light to medium-high level of resources demanding games(for the sake of reference I consider "Azur lane crosswave" max setting as a light and "attack on titans 2" on max settings as medium-high games)

But here comes the problems, when I play AAA games like "Horizon: Zero Dawn" on max settings or "Resident Evil: Village" NOT on max but high-medium settings pc would very often goes BSOD with various codes which is very absurd because im using the very same settings to play these games like back when the game was still pretty new (trust me that my specs are more than enough to run such graphic settings, I'll list the specs at the bottom of this thread).

So I tried to play detective a lot and here's what i did:
-SFC SCAN NOW(this returns no negative result)
-Online/dism/restore health (i forgot the full cmd line) [no negative result here as well]
- Benchmarking and stress test using OCCT(memory, CPU, VRAm shows no error after one hour test for each), (GPU was tested on steady Extreme mode on 100% for 1 hour)
- right now while writing this im doing a memtest86 (so far 3/4 and 0 errors)
- uninstalling my micro usb's wifi receiver adapter
- using DDU on safe mode(i removed both amd and nvidia driver)
- using older version of nvidia's studio driver (im using 551 something right now and latest is 552 something)
- updating windows and installing all optional drivers

What i haven't done:
- switching psu
- reinstalling a fresh windows 11(my current win 11 is a upgrade from win 10)
- going back to game ready drivers

Note:
- i do have little breathing room because my psu is kinda old(I'd say 10-15% from total psu wattage since i upgraded to rtx on late 2022 and used to have like 20-25% breathing room)
- my ram position is on A2 and B2 which shouldn't really matter
- I do still suspect that MSI did nothing to my gpu and it worked out of sheer luck
- THE TRIGGER here is high resource demanding games
- ONE WEIRD THING when my pc encounters amy BSOD, it will boot up and ask me to reboot and insert a proper boot drive in which i have to ctrl+alt+del and spam del to go to bios and not seeing my SSD(windows are installed here) as a boot option and only my HDD so I gone to exist tab and picked my hdd as "override boot option" and then just press down on my power button and wait 5 seconds to turn my pc back on just to find that it posts normally and uses my SSD to boot the system up.

All of the BSOD stop codes I've encountered while doing all of the above(the one on the bottom is the most recent stop code):
- system service exception
- unexpected store exception
- critical process died
- Bugcode NDIS DRIVER
- memory management

My specs
- mobo: Asrock B550M pro4
- cpu: Ryzen 5 3600
- cpu cooler: deepcool gammaxx somethinf
- ram: 16GB(2x8GB T-force delta) DDR4 3600
- GPU: MSI RTX 3060TI Gaming X(The dual fan one)
- PSU: DK 1stplayer 600W bronze 80+
-Case: Cube gaming Friel(3 prebuilt front fans)
-5 extra case fans
- Monitor: AOC 24G2E(the 24inch 144hz one)

Any help would be nice thanks in advance!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Frankly, swapping out the PSU ought to have been the first thing tried since the PSU is cheap, group-regulated junk that ought to have been replaced anyway. That's a common source of the type of crash that you've described and the obvious thing to rule out next (since, again, it should have been done even if you had no problems clear to the naked eye).

Reactions: Mihari
May 5, 2024
Frankly, swapping out the PSU ought to have been the first thing tried since the PSU is cheap, group-regulated junk that ought to have been replaced anyway. That's a common source of the type of crash that you've described and the obvious thing to rule out next (since, again, it should have been done even if you had no problems clear to the naked eye).
Yeah i know only reason i haven't yet, is that the psu i have avail here is 500W so that's a no go lol

This psu is prob 3years old more or less by now, but like i had no problems before the GPU failing, i mean i get that years of use could degrade it but how sure are you that this is ghe PSU's fault?

New PSU price is not really a problem only problem here is shopping for that online is a no go, they throw packages alot, and pc stores are just far away

Also if i do grab a new psu, how much Wattage would you recommend? let's say im trying to future proof till 2028-2030

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah i know only reason i haven't yet, is that the psu i have avail here is 500W so that's a no go lol

This psu is prob 3years old more or less by now, but like i had no problems before the GPU failing, i mean i get that years of use could degrade it but how sure are you that this is ghe PSU's fault?

New PSU price is not really a problem only problem here is shopping for that online is a no go, they throw packages alot, and pc stores are just far away

Also if i do grab a new psu, how much Wattage would you recommend? let's say im trying to future proof till 2028-2030

I'm not sure at all it's the PSU's fault. Unfortunately, PC issues are usually solved by eliminating problems, in order of likeliness. The low-quality PSU was *always* a problem.

Depends what GPU you're looking for long term. If you're staying with the 3060 Ti or similar power GPUs, a 650W is probably fine. But just make sure it's a quality one, Tier A preferably, but no worse than Tier B on this list. That you haven't had visible problems before doesn't mean the PSU hasn't been a problem; the damage that PSUs can do to components can be gradual and long term, like eating a pound of bacon for breakfast every day. Nobody can "see" poor voltage regulation or mitigation of electric ripple.

Reactions: Mihari
May 5, 2024
I'm not sure at all it's the PSU's fault. Unfortunately, PC issues are usually solved by eliminating problems, in order of likeliness. The low-quality PSU was *always* a problem.

Depends what GPU you're looking for long term. If you're staying with the 3060 Ti or similar power GPUs, a 650W is probably fine. But just make sure it's a quality one, Tier A preferably, but no worse than Tier B on this list. That you haven't had visible problems before doesn't mean the PSU hasn't been a problem; the damage that PSUs can do to components can be gradual and long term, like eating a pound of bacon for breakfast every day. Nobody can "see" poor voltage regulation or mitigation of electric ripple.
Damn, yeah that make sense, i probably wont stay on 3060ti, i think when 60 series of rtx comes out ill be going for the 50 series, also i think i kinda forgot to mention about this
The BSOD that was pointing to my ram happened when i moved the game data and made it run on my SSD, is a problem with my HDD or SSD(96% health right now) likely in this case? Or is it unrelated at all?
Also thanks for the psu list, really appreciate that

Last edited:
May 5, 2024
I posted this first yada yada yada troubleshooting here n there CPU, RAM, GPU passed OCCT benchmark SSD like 96% health, SFC/scannow found nothing , swapped to my current PSU, PC running for 3 days not a single abnormalities to be seen, but just now, pc is showing no display, but i am certain that system is running, my youtube video is still playing behind the no signal screen, and i restarted and i can hear the windows 11 sign in page bell sound things, so i unplugged the GPU, take it out and put it back in after 10 minutes, and PC came back to life, is it safe to say that there is something wrong with this GPU?