News Pocket-size PC doesn't need a power plug — Minisforum S100 rocks Alder Lake-N CPU, 2.5GbE networking, and PoE support

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The default PL2 of the N100 is 25 W, and that's just SoC package power. PoE+ maxes out at 30 W, so its wings would have to be clipped a fair bit.

In my experience, there's a big discrepancy between the reported package power and the wall power. On my N97, I've noticed power at the wall going as high as 54 W, in iGPU-heavy benchmarks, yet the reported package power doesn't go above 17 W! That's not touching storage, and it's got a SK Hynix P31 Gold, which is very efficient and has a low idle draw. Nothing else plugged in, except HDMI (1080p60 monitor) and gigabit Ethernet + mouse & keyboard. The PSU is an 89% efficient 60W Seasonic 12V unit. It has one fan that's rated at < 1 W. Idle power is 8W at the wall, 2W reported package power.
Well, that's really exceptionally disappointing.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Well, that's really exceptionally disappointing.
Here are some detailed power measurements on the ODROID-H4 that are somewhat at odds with what I'm seeing. I can't rule out the possibility that there's either something going on with my board or with my power meter.

They claim that a CPU + GPU stress test in "Unlimited Performance" mode, on the N305, uses only about 35 W. In normal mode, they seem to peak at 22 W. Unlike in previous product listings, I haven't seen where they list the details on their CPU and GPU workloads. They do seem to be measuring at the wall, since they claim to be using their own power meter design.

And yet, I'd point out that the minimum power supply spec the recommend is 60 W - and that's if you aren't using any mechanical harddrives.

Last edited:
Reactions: King_V