Question Is there a possibility of GPU damage with fusebox power trip ?

May 7, 2024
What's the possibility of power surge damage when power tripped at fusebox?

I was plugging in other appliances in a different room which caused a trip and a loss of power to the whole house, my PC was running in the office at the time. After flicking the switch in the box I booted the PC, hoping it would be fine and instead of booting straight in as normal it went to a Finishing windows setup screen as you see when finishing a new W installation.

Once I got into Windows after clicking through next a few times everything was as it should be, I've seen nothing missing and have run sfc, chkdsk and so on. However I have since been noticing jagged low-res rendering of shadows and sometimes fauilty pixellated outlines around shapes in some games including Modern Warfare that I'm convinced weren't there before. I have ran DDU in s mode and reinstalled my graphics drivers, with no success.

It's possible that general performance has degraded but aside from the visual artifacts differences are marginal.

Obviously there's the chance that these problems were there before and I'm just noticing them more with hypervigilance but I don't think this is the case so just hoping someone can fill me in on the likelihood of my hypothesis, or have any more concrete ways of testing it out.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
What's the possibility of power surge damage when power tripped at fusebox?

I was plugging in other appliances in a different room which caused a trip and a loss of power to the whole house, my PC was running in the office at the time. After flicking the switch in the box I booted the PC, hoping it would be fine and instead of booting straight in as normal it went to a Finishing windows setup screen as you see when finishing a new W installation.

Once I got into Windows after clicking through next a few times everything was as it should be, I've seen nothing missing and have run sfc, chkdsk and so on. However I have since been noticing jagged low-res rendering of shadows and sometimes fauilty pixellated outlines around shapes in some games including Modern Warfare that I'm convinced weren't there before. I have ran DDU in s mode and reinstalled my graphics drivers, with no success.

It's possible that general performance has degraded but aside from the visual artifacts differences are marginal.

Obviously there's the chance that these problems were there before and I'm just noticing them more with hypervigilance but I don't think this is the case so just hoping someone can fill me in on the likelihood of my hypothesis, or have any more concrete ways of testing it out.

You might run scanfix as described here: https://www.guidingtech.com/how-to-use-sfc-scan-in-windows/

May 7, 2024
Thanks for your replies.

I have been noticing unsteady framerates and less-steady metrics such as voltage on my gpu, and I did have a power crash when running a variable GPU stress test in OCCT.

Visual artifacting seems to be presenting as aliasing and shadows being low-res/pixellated or behaving incorrectly. I understand that people seem to think it unlikely that this incident would have caused damage, but do these sorts of symptoms track with voltage related damage?

Edit: Thanks for replying and I appreciate your time 🙏