Question Possible faulty RAM slot?

Apr 21, 2024
Hi, all! I'm new here, and in dire need of help.
Yesterday I'm dumb enough to wipe dust my pc with towel while its on sleep mode. Even though I'm certain that I didn't touch any critical part (just the casing and fans), weirdly my pc stuck into some booting sequence with no response on my monitor. After I force shutdown and reboot, DRAM light orange and stuck with still no response on my monitor. I'm not a computer technician but after googling some solution, I've reset CMOS, nothing changed, then replaced the CMOS, still nothing changed.

Then I tried booting with only 1 RAM stick, change to the other, still nothing changed. I kind of frustrated, so, for the sake of fun, I disassemble all parts and reassemble it all over again and still nothing changed. Then, I checked my PSU cables again, finding that my 24 pin cables haven't fully seated. After I boot with 1 RAM stick at A2 slot, what a joy I felt, it works normally! (at this point I suspect that the cause maybe I touched the cable while I'm wiping my pc causing a loose cable) But when I insert my 2nd RAM at B2 slot, it got back to DRAM light orange state. Sometimes they go back and forth between CPU and DRAM lights, only to be stuck at DRAM light orange. Switched my RAM at A2 slot, and it works. I conclude that both my RAM sticks are not the problem, it's gotta be the other slots. Tried all 4 slots running 1 stick, and only the A2 slot worked.

Some said that it might be dust covering the slot to CPU socket might bent. Tried checking all that, but to my eyes, there's no pin has bent. Well, I don't know what a bent pin look like tho... But after hard look using lights and loupe, I think no pin is bent.

So, in the end my pc is still working, but only with 1 RAM stick, I still want my 2nd stick to be used on my pc, is the problem may be that the 3 slots are faulty? Or there may be another explanation to my case?

For your assistance, I express my gratitude!

I built my pc in 2020, here's the specs:
- ROG Strix B365F
- I5-9400F
- ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti
- 2x8 V-Gen Tsunami X 3200Mhz
- Corsair HX 850 Platinum
- Corsair Hydro H100i AIO
- BenQ Zowie XL2411P 144Hz

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Yesterday I'm dumb enough to wipe dust my pc with towel while its on sleep mode.
You shouldn't do that.

You might want to see if your processor and ram on another working motherboard operates without any issues. If they work without a hiccup with rams on slots A2 and B2, then your board might very well be the issue. If the issue persists on the known working board then your processor's integrated memory controller(IMC) conked out on your processor.

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Apr 21, 2024

Yesterday I'm dumb enough to wipe dust my pc with towel while its on sleep mode.
You shouldn't do that.

You might want to see if your processor and ram on another working motherboard operates without any issues. If they work without a hiccup with rams on slots A2 and B2, then your board might very well be the issue. If the issue persists on the known working board then your processor's integrated memory controller(IMC) conked out on your processor.

Hi, thanks!
Haha yeah, I know I shouldn't, yet I did xD

Wow, that really narrows down the possibilities I've concerned. Okay, I will try that, after I found someone who's willing and have the same socket, otherwise will I have to take them to a technician to be tested.

Ah, I haven't checked the BIOS version and I'm at work atm. Will check that and update later tonight. Again, thanks!

Apr 21, 2024

You shouldn't do that.

Goy my BIOS version, it's BIOS Ver. 0805