News Rescued retro desk PC becomes the latest device to run Doom — AMD Duron-based system unsurprisingly lets you shotgun blast imps without major issues

Once ctrl-alt-rees finally got DOS running, he wound up using it to upgrade to Windows 98 in order to make playing Ultimate Doom with audio possible on this hardware.
If you have compatible hardware sbemu is great for running dos with audio on all kinds of old PCs.
Comes pre build as an image, clone to usb if the system supports usb boot or to a sd/cf file if you have a converter of those to ide.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6-AlpCEqpc&ab_channel=PhilsComputerLab

Reactions: artk2219

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
My goodness, I forgot all about Time Computers. Their presence was always heavily focused on complete systems, on the high street, so their prices always seemed a little on the hefty side, which was a shame because their stuff generally seemed pretty decent.

Another of a great many companies ultimately turned into a splat-stain by the internet.

The whole running Doom on this seems a bit unremarkable to me. It really wasn't that hard to accomplish for PCs of this era, but whatever. Yay Doom I guess.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I was gonna ask, why is this an accomplishment? I've still got an old Super 7 system (AMD K62+ running at 400MHz I believe), and a Slot 1 system that's got a 1GHz CPU (can't remember if it's a Celeron or Pentium 3) with one of those Socket 370-to-Slot 1 adapters.

Both have an Ensoniq AudioPCI card, and easily more RAM than was common at the time. I can't imagine either of them would have ANY trouble running Doom, considering that even pre-Pentium hardware could do so.

Exactly my thoughts. WHY is this a published article? Was there an error and it's from 1985 instead of 2005?

Wake me up when you run Doom on a mid-90's graphing calculator.
Already done my friend, it's available for the ti83 and ti83+, both of which were originally released in 1996. They both use the venerable Zilog Z80 at 6Mhz and the regular Ti 83 had a whopping 32KB of RAM, while the TI 83+ had an astounding 128KB. That said, these little calculators would have made some nice early 80's microcomputers. The base specs are actually more powerful than the NES and Sega Master System, its a shame they dont have a dedicated graphics processor.

https://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/238/23843.html

Last edited:

OneMoreUser

Prominent
Jan 2, 2023
The minimum requirements for the original doom (1993) were 386, with 4 Mb of RAM.

How is news that it runs in a computer from the 2000 with 1 Gb of RAM?
This TH so pretend news is good enough.

Also I gotta wonder about the photo, the act of playing Doom using a mouse seems just wrong.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Already done my friend, it's available for the ti83 and ti83+, both of which were originally released in 1996. They both use the venerable Zilog Z80 at 6Mhz and the regular Ti 83 had a whopping 32KB of RAM, while the TI 83+ had an astounding 128KB. That said, these little calculators would have made some nice early 80's microcomputers. The base specs are actually more powerful than the NES and Sega Master System, its a shame they dont have a dedicated graphics processor.

Why can't i give two likes? :cautious:

Thanks for sharing. I used to play a lot of text games on my Ti-86 during math class.