Question Samsung SSD showing as a Western Digital with only half of the storage space -- any fixes?

Frostsent

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
Hello everyone,

I have a strange issue here. I just built a new PC the other day, and ordered all of my parts off of Amazon from official OEM pages. One of these parts was the SAMSUNG 980 Pro SSD 2TB Gen 4 M.2 (MZ-V8P2T0B/AM). All my parts arrived, everything was fine, until I got my new PC to post. Upon posting, it tried to boot into a recovery partition that is in spanish and I noticed that the BIOS recognized the drive as a WD_BLACK SN770 1TB.

It also appears this way in Windows 11, and I downloaded Samsung Magician to see if I could install a firmware update, but Magician doesn't recorgnize it as a Samsung product, so I can't update any firmware or drivers (in methods that I know how to do). The worst thing of all is that windows 11 is recognizing this as a 930GB drive, when I ordered the 2TB, and the box and all labeling and branding on the SSD says 2TB.

Is there any way to fix this? Or was I scammed? I will also link the page I bought from off of Amazon so that you guys can check it out as well. Also happy to show screenshots or go live on discord/zoom to get help.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08RK2SR23/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hello everyone,

I have a strange issue here. I just built a new PC the other day, and ordered all of my parts off of Amazon from official OEM pages. One of these parts was the SAMSUNG 980 Pro SSD 2TB Gen 4 m.2 (MZ-V8P2T0B/AM). All my parts arrived, everything was fine, until I got my new PC to post. Upon posting, it tried to boot into a recovery partition that is in spanish and I noticed that the BIOS recognized the drive as a WD_BLACK SN770 1TB.

It also appears this way in Windows 11, and I downloaded Samsung Magician to see if I could install a firmware update, but Magician doesn't recorgnize it as a Samsung product, so I can't update any firmware or drivers (in methods that I know how to do). The worst thing of all is that windows 11 is recognizing this as a 930GB drive, when I ordered the 2TB, and the box and all labeling and branding on the SSD says 2tb.

Is there any way to fix this? Or was I scammed? I will also link the page I bought from off of Amazon so that you guys can check it out as well. Also happy to show screenshots or go live on discord/zoom to get help.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08RK2SR23/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Didn't you look at it ? They have different logos on the sticker.
https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-black-sn770-nvme-ssd?sku=WDS250G3X0E

Frostsent

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
Does the SSD physically look like the 980 Pro you ordered or a WD_BLACK SN770? If it's the latter then I would definitely return it, but either way it's highly suspicious and I would still try to return it.
It physically looks like the 980 pro on the box. I accidentally tossed the box, not sure if I can recover the box to return :(. Stupid, absolute rookie mistake I know, but my wife needed me to get rid of all the trash. Now I am worried about this drive. Anything I can do to try and fix it?

Yes, of course I looked at it. It looked nothing like the WD Black, it looked exactly like the 980 pro featured on the box. I think it may be a drive error, I havent heard of scam SSDs coming from the manufacturer.
It is possible to change firmware to read anything you want. Often some distribution houses change or order SSDs with their name although they don't manufacture it. There are just so many chip and controller manufacturers but many, many brands of SSDs using same parts but this may be a scam because WD are cheaper than Samsung and all it took was a cheap sticker anybody could print although it's printed on metal, self stick foil. Amazon just sells them, they don't check them. I would contact Amazon about it, for small stuff they issue refund even without sending products back. If you ordered online, they should have record of it.
Ps. There should be SN printed on it or you can see it in Crystal disk info.

Reactions: Ralston18

Frostsent

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
It is possible to change firmware to read anything you want. Often some distribution houses change or order SSDs with their name although they don't manufacture it. There are just so many chip and controller manufacturers but many, many brands of SSDs using same parts but this may be a scam because WD are cheaper than Samsung and all it took was a cheap sticker anybody could print although it's printed on metal, self stick foil. Amazon just sells them, they don't check them. I would contact Amazon about it, for small stuff they issue refund even without sending products back. If you ordered online, they should have record of it.
Ps. There should be SN printed on it or you can see it in Crystal disk info.
Thank you, CountMike. This all is very disheartening, and Im gonna see if I can get my refund from Amazon. CrystalDisk is also telling me its a WesternDigital Black, and while I have no issue with WD (I've used their products before), it just flat out aint what I ordered. I appreciate your input a ton!

Reactions: CountMike