Question Scaling issue ?

MilanHun

Prominent
Jan 6, 2023
Hello,

Sorry for my bad English, I wrote it with a translator. I have a problem where the games keep scaling for some reason and I don't understand why. The resolution of the monitor and the resolution in the games are the same. So in theory it shouldn't be scaling, right? I have an Nvidia GPU. Can it caused by monitor response time? I change it and nvidia tell me that I should not change that at all.

Last edited:

MilanHun

Prominent
Jan 6, 2023
Maybe try and show us some pictures, maybe you mean something else than scaling, what even caused you to think that it is scaling?!
I think it's the problem because every time I change the scaling mode or the scaling on settings in nvidia control panel the game visuality and jnput lag will be another. I mean I won't be the same again if I restart the game. I already tried driver clean delete with ddu. I thought about disable full screen optimization.

every time I change the scaling mode or the scaling on settings in nvidia control panel the game visuality and jnput lag will be another
what do you mean by, "game visuality"?
how could you tell just by looking that the image has been scaled up or down?

and how could you gauge "input lag" by the resolution that the output has been scaled to?

this sounds more like you just aren't getting the performance that you expect in certain games and you are looking for a culprit.

include your complete system specs.

MilanHun

Prominent
Jan 6, 2023
what do you mean by, "game visuality"?
how could you tell just by looking that the image has been scaled up or down?

and how could you gauge "input lag" by the resolution that the output has been scaled to?

this sounds more like you just aren't getting the performance that you expect in certain games and you are looking for a culprit.

include your complete system specs.
So to clear this up. I'm basically a competitive player and I mostly play rocket league. By game visuality, I mean that the game is faster or slower depending on the scaling mode. In addition, the camera extends much better in the game in no scaling and is also faster. Such as aspect ratio or full screen. I can determine input lag by seeing when the wheel turns in the game and how fast. In addition, you probably know that if the game scales, the input lag will increase due to unnecessary work. Also, the performance is certainly good, but decide for yourself. I5 -12400f, rtx 3070ti, asus b660m plus, 3200mhz ddr4 ram, ssd 1tb, windows 10 not activated, dell g2723h monitor, 750W gold. And as I said, I am a competitive player, so the in-game settings are the lowest, except for Render quality, which is High. The game runs at 240 fps, which is the refresh rate of my display. Thank you for your understanding.

FSR and DLSS generally have a res scale that is set statically. There ARE games as mentioned though that do dynamic scaling as needed to keep frame rate stable. It's pretty much ALWAYS a feature you can toggle on or off in game though, so look for a setting like that.

It would help if you mention what game you're playing, as we have no way of knowing otherwise.

MilanHun

Prominent
Jan 6, 2023
FSR and DLSS generally have a res scale that is set statically. There ARE games as mentioned though that do dynamic scaling as needed to keep frame rate stable. It's pretty much ALWAYS a feature you can toggle on or off in game though, so look for a setting like that.

It would help if you mention what game you're playing, as we have no way of knowing otherwise.
Thank you! I mention it in a comment section, but I usually play Battlefield I-V, Rocket league, Apex. As I know rocket league don't have this option.

I can determine input lag by seeing when the wheel turns in the game and how fast.
FPS scaling, so a game being faster or slower, is a different thing from graphics scaling where the GPU renders in, for example, 720p and then stretches that out to 1080p to provide more frames at the same GPU usage.
With this second thing there will be some amount of time that the GPU needs to stretch the image before it can show it so there will be some lag.
If you want the fastest time from pressing a key to something on the screen happening then you have to disable any kind of post and general processing of the image.

If your system still respond too slow for you then you need a better system.
Many people swear on faster ram making lag lower, I have no idea myself, but youtube is full of videos showing you how to tune ram for more frames.
Also overclockable CPUs will result in more FPS which will cause less lag even if you play at the same FPS because the GPU will send the newest frame to the display and with more fps the current frame will be newer.

MilanHun

Prominent
Jan 6, 2023
FPS scaling, so a game being faster or slower, is a different thing from graphics scaling where the GPU renders in, for example, 720p and then stretches that out to 1080p to provide more frames at the same GPU usage.
With this second thing there will be some amount of time that the GPU needs to stretch the image before it can show it so there will be some lag.
If you want the fastest time from pressing a key to something on the screen happening then you have to disable any kind of post and general processing of the image.

If your system still respond too slow for you then you need a better system.
Many people swear on faster ram making lag lower, I have no idea myself, but youtube is full of videos showing you how to tune ram for more frames.
Also overclockable CPUs will result in more FPS which will cause less lag even if you play at the same FPS because the GPU will send the newest frame to the display and with more fps the current frame will be newer.
Okay. Thank you! But if the game resolution and my monitor resolution is the same I mean 1920x1080 16:9 then why will it render on 720p? Btw I wrote all my specs in a comment section and what I play. Im a competitve player I use the ingame settings on the lowest possible for a great visuality and performance. But most important thing for me is performance. I have an I5-12400f with an rtx3070ti. Im don't want to overclock them. 750 W gold, ram 3200mhz ddr4, ssd 1000gb it has about 600gb free space, Asus b660m plus, windows 10 pro.

Okay. Thank you! But if the game resolution and my monitor resolution is the same I mean 1920x1080 16:9 then why will it render on 720p?
That's what dsl and fsr do, they render lower so they can give you higher FPS, that's what people understand when you say scaling without any other explanation.
I have an I5-12400f with an rtx3070ti. Im don't want to overclock them.
Then you have to live with the lag because with vsync off that's as fast as the CPU can make a new frame.

MilanHun

Prominent
Jan 6, 2023
That's what dsl and fsr do, they render lower so they can give you higher FPS, that's what people understand when you say scaling without any other explanation.

Then you have to live with the lag because with vsync off that's as fast as the CPU can make a new frame.
Thank you!
But these things are automatically working or what? Because I didn't change any settings in nvidia control panel.
So you tell me if I'm overclock my cpu and gpu it will be better? Should I do it? Sorry I don't understand for these things.

these things are automatically working or what? Because I didn't change any settings in nvidia control panel.
DLSS would be enabled in the game's settings.
it is automatically enabled by the card when the setting is turned on in the game, not through Nvidia Control Panel.
if I'm overclock my cpu and gpu it will be better?
if you're looking for better performance in games then you should be looking into better hardware.

the f series CPUs cannot be overclocked.

MilanHun

Prominent
Jan 6, 2023
DLSS would be enabled in the game's settings.
it is automatically enabled by the card when the setting is turned on in the game, not through Nvidia Control Panel.

if you're looking for better performance in games then you should be looking into better hardware.

the f series CPUs cannot be overclocked.
Okay. I understand it, but what is this game doesn't have any dlss settings. (Rocket league). Can windows game mode cause this problem?
Thank you! Should I overclock my gpu then? What should I do?

Last edited: