Question Secondary router as an Access Point ?

Apr 14, 2024
I'm looking to add a second router and wondering if this is going to work. ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 V2 is what i've been looking at, and i want it stationed right by my pc. Ethernet cable from the main router is not an option. So, if i set this secondary router up as an access point, and connect it to my pc with an ethernet cable, will this be as good as a wired connection from the main router?

Nope if you were to configure it as a AP other machines might be able to make a wifi connection to your pc.

You want the reverse. All depends if the router has the feature. This has become more common but most device that can do this can also run as repeaters. Very technically you want to set it into client-bridge mode. The exact name for the varies a bit between routers.

This really is not going to be much better than any other wifi card. All you are doing is using a ethernet cable to hook to a external wifi nic rather than say a USB cable. In some cases because the router is physically bigger and has bigger antenna it might work a bit better than a USB nic....but there are some very good USB nics that come with multiple antenna and a mounting stand.

I guess the main advantage would be you can run it 100 meters away from your pc where a USB is limited to 15ft or so. Then again if you can actually run a ethernet cable 100 meters you likely could hook it to the main router directly.

kanewolf

Titan
Looking to add a second router and wondering if this is going to work. ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 V2 is what i've been looking at, and i want it stationed right by my pc. Ethernet cable from the main router is not an option. So, if i set this secondary router up as an access point, and connect it to my pc with an ethernet cable, will this be as good as a wired connection from the main router?
Unless you already have GREAT WIFI at your PC, then you don't want to put a WIFI extender next to your PC. You want it 1/2 way from the primary WIFI source.
If you have an Asus primary router, then you can setup the XT8 as an AIMesh node.

Apr 14, 2024
I've got 250/250, it's not bad at all. Currently using my MOBO's built in wifi (B550f gaming Wifi) and the download plummets from time to time and the ping is not stable. The router is some standard norwegian bs, altibox zyxel p2812ac sure you've never heard of it. What is my best option here? If i get the asus router, connect via ethernet and put it in bridge mode, is that what i am looking for?

What you are looking for is any router or AP that can be set in wireless bridge mode (which may also be called client mode). It connects via your main router's wifi and gives you 4 wired ethernet ports at a remote location.

That ASUS is not a good choice for this as its "media bridge mode" requires ASUS routers on both ends

If you are only connecting one device, then a wireless adapter with multiple antennas on it would do the same and be cheaper. USB ones can be extended out 16' without any active repeaters so you can more easily put the antennas where they would have the best signal. Extending antenna frequencies with cable (that is, putting remote antennas on your present wifi adapter) is very lossy and would in most cases degrade the signal worse unless the wires were very short. Either way though, using wifi means wifi latency even if bandwidth is as good as ethernet.

FAhentai

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2016
Looking to add a second router and wondering if this is going to work. ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 V2 is what i've been looking at, and i want it stationed right by my pc. Ethernet cable from the main router is not an option. So, if i set this secondary router up as an access point, and connect it to my pc with an ethernet cable, will this be as good as a wired connection from the main router?
It may and may not. In fact, however, it all depends on what kind of wireless you have.
Can I know what is the primary router are you using at the moment and the ethernet speed on your computer? How far away they from each other?