Show off your newest system upgrade components here!

Page 37 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither is mITX lol.

Very true! Final pieces arrived:
PXL-20210929-181359376.jpg

Haven't started yet, beyond taking the case out of the box..... it's pretty small, considering it's next to a Meshify C, which is pretty compact itself.

PXL-20210929-020523000.jpg
PXL-20210929-020529359.jpg

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
mITX requires thought. First test fit everything, no cables. The take a bunch of pictures for reference and look to see exactly where cables will need to go, what route. Then pull it apart and build, slowly. You'll need to reference those pictures or get mostly done and have to tear half of it apart just to run 1 cable. Videos make it look easy, but that's a video done by ppl who are used to mitx and its specific cable challenges. It's the little things that'll haunt you lol, like when to put the EPS cable in, before mounting the mobo or after.

Pretty much most of what you know or thought you knew about building atx in mid towers can be tossed out the window. mITX is a whole other beast when it comes to cables, especially with sfx psus having very short cables. Gotta love it 😂. My build took somewhere around 60 hrs....

Last edited:
Reactions: Barty1884

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
Just a thread to highlight a recently purchased component upgrade or addition to your setups.
I replaced my prebuilt setup a few weeks ago with an rm 750. Only got this because the rm650 was 10 dollars under the rm 750 so why not

(it took quite a while to replace it since that this was my first time replacing a psu from a computer so it was quite an accomplishment, but no cable management at the moment)

setup:
M.2 SSD WD Blue SN550 1 Terabyte
Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3060 Gaming OC
Deepcool Castle 240EX
6 fans total (2 addressable non-rgb fans and 4 non addressable rgb fans)
Apevia Genesis ATX Mid-tower case
Asus Prime z-590-V
EVGA 600GD 80+ Gold
Core i5 11600KF 11th gen
Mastermouse mm710
Skorpion K2 Keyboard (by cyberpower)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
mITX requires thought. First test fit everything, no cables. The take a bunch of pictures for reference and look to see exactly where cables will need to go, what route. Then pull it apart and build, slowly. You'll need to reference those pictures or get mostly done and have to tear half of it apart just to run 1 cable. Videos make it look easy, but that's a video done by ppl who are used to mitx and its specific cable challenges. It's the little things that'll haunt you lol, like when to put the EPS cable in, before mounting the mobo or after.

Pretty much most of what you know or thought you knew about building atx in mid towers can be tossed out the window. mITX is a whole other beast when it comes to cables, especially with sfx psus having very short cables. Gotta love it 😂. My build took somewhere around 60 hrs....

Well, it was quite a process. Needed two attempts at cable management.
Original go-round:
OGfront.jpg
OGrear.jpg

Then second attempt:

Round2-Front.jpg
Round2-Rear.jpg

I actually wish the VGA cables were about an inch longer & I could've tucked it right under the card opposed to crossing it.

Otherwise, only real complaint is the FPanel cable. It's too short. Even in attempt #2, I've got two of those all-in-one blocks that used to ship with some motherboards, just to try and get the extra length.

All in all, for forcing a large ATX PSU into the case.... I'm pretty happy with it.

Good job on cable management. I don't think I would have been able to get it so clean.

Given the cost and limited wattage of SFX units, it's a good thing that it can fit an ATX PSU. It seems to fit it better than my ATX PSU fits in my Cooler Master Elite 110.

That reminds me of the main complaint I have about the 011 mini. It can support ATX motherboards, but not an ATX PSU. Just annoying. Making it 1 inch wider isn't really that big of a deal.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I like the fact you can still access the board, even for basic stuff like reset cmos pins.

Cmos pins are Under the cables, at the bottom of the ram, had to pull the loop apart to move the cables and stuck the handy-dandy fan extension cable supplied with the Noctua fans on the pins and then rebuilt. Now the cmos reset pins are in a fan connection that sits on top of the psu.

Oh, don't ask about airflow, it doesn't exist lol. Air goes through the rads and bleeds out wherever.

Mar 21, 2022
MB: ASUS Prime Z690-M D4
LGA1700,DDR4, 1 PCIe 5.0, 2 PCIe 4.0, 2 PCIe 3.0, 3xM.2 PCIe gen4 2280, 1xM.2 key for wifi/bt, TB header, front panel USB 3.0 type A & C header
this MB was cheap in Canada (210 @ canada computers) - i think its a great product for someone on a budget now with room for massive improvements down the road

NVMe - WD black SN770 500GB - sale at canada computers @ 76cad - read 5000, write 4000 - again being on a budget, this was a great buy - not the fastest but then again upgrading from an older ssd to nvme was a serious boost

My recent build:
i7-12700K
Asus Prime Z690-M D4
Kingston DDR4 @ 3600 - 2x16GB kit
LianLi Galahad 240 AIO
Corsair RM750 PSU
Corsair iCUE 200T
WD black SN770 500GB - boot
Kingston 512GB SSD - second drive

iCUE fans are mounted, 2 on the top (push), 1 on the back (pull)
LianLi fans are mounted on the front with the AIO in a pull manner

No GPU, yet!!!

Got my Samsung Odessey G7 43" today. got it on ebay for 550 quid as it came with a small scratch in the bezel and the bottom of the screen - about 0.5cm long on the screen and cant see it when its on.

Will be starting my new build by this year end. Currently using it with my laptop for content consumption and Dota - looks amazing in 4k !!!

The built-in speakers are terrible! Thank god i have my HD450!

Sorry for the shoddy photos, taken on my phone XD

View: https://imgur.com/a/Go9AMzp

Last edited:
Just built this one for a friend of mine. Very simillar to my secondary rig in terms of parts. Most expensive components are bought second hand, wanted to maximize price/performance.

CPU: R7 5800X3D(sealed, but bought as "used")-$225
CPU cooler: Scythe Fuma II(new) - $45
Mobo: Gigabyte B450 aorus elite with a non-working ARGB connector - $30
GPU: XFX RX 6800 QICK 319, good condition, did a clean, repaste -$310
RAM: 32 GB ddr4(2x16) gskill ripjaws V 3600 cl18(new) - $65
PSU: Seasonic Focus PX-850(new) - $130
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh(new, old stock) - $75
Storage: 970 evo plus 1tb + crucial mx 500 1tb - free from his old build
Fans: 3x ARCTIC P12 front intake($25)+ 2x noctua s12b redux exhaust(free from my stash).

tj3MWOW.jpg

uAdwAbu.jpg

Currently doing final testing + tuning. UVed the x3d and brought the ram to 3800 cl17 @ 1.4V. UVed the RX 6800 as well, running 0.895V on the core at stock clocks. Cooler is an absolute monster on this... GPU is freezing in Furmark, 51C max gpu temp with 65C on the hotspot and memory at 67C, pretty impressed with xfx here.

Cable management could've been cleaner, but I'm too lazy to try harder.
Took me ages to clean the used stuff, but here we are.

Oof and almost forgot... flipped the 3 fans from the lian li case for $25 too.

Quite happy on how it turned out, especially from a value point of view.

It's Black Friday time!

My new build but without the gpu - waiting for the 4070ti super.

[ the Cooler,ssd,ram,psu,fans all had discounted pricing for this black friday. And the pricing was the lowest or same as the previous lowest price when I checked it on price runner.]

Will update on member's system thread once finished.

Unfortunately most of my parts are stuck in Royal Mail office here. And it is open from 8 to 10 AM!! My bad for not checking that :(

So I just got my CPU and headphone padding for now.

My Sennheiser HD450 has 0 padding for the headband. Becomes painful on prolonged use. Got this 3rd party padding today and after 2 hrs of use, Can confirm - much better experience on prolonged use and good comfort.

Geekria Medium Cooling-Gel Hook... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B094Y67C21?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And the CPU - 7800X3D for 329.99 GBP from Amazon deal.

Amazon also has the Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX as a Global import from USA for 170 GBP now. Waiting for that till Nov 30 to start the build.

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
PXL-20240409-225441324.jpg

Doesn't really qualify for the thread, but been in the market for a new laptop (was going to buy an XPS 14, but cost + not fantastic reviews turned me off), so picked up the RedmiBook 14 Pro.

Core Ultra 7 155, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2880x1800 panel up to 120hz 🤷🏼‍♂️ can't complain for the money (about $1200 CAD).

Temporary Surface Laptop Go for scale.